shape
carat
color
clarity

Hobbies .... other than diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 3:52:33 AM
Author: Galateia

Date: 7/13/2006 1:25:18 AM
Author: KristyDarling
All your talk about cooking reminded me that I am an avid baker. I bake some kind of cake, cookie, or other goodie about once a week.......whiiiich pretty much explains my, uh, jigglyness.
20.gif

Do you mean your ''juiciness''?
31.gif
2.gif
down here in the south we call it "fluffy"

"ewe''s not fat, ewe''s fluffy!"

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I play in the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval and renaissance recreation group. In the SCA I like to cook and sew.

The cooking involves several course feasts for 100 - 250 people. I cook huge feasts (with a helpful staff) about once a year.

I also like to study and sew the clothing of the elizabethan time period roughly 1560-1599. I am scheduled to become a green belt appentice to My Sewing "Mistress" (read teacher) formal ceremony will be in september at Laurels'' Prize Tourney. This is a great honor.

we have decorated our home in a Williamsburg, Virginia fashion. My husband made most of the furniture.

I like english style gardening. I am trying out a texas heat xeriscaping front yard in a jumbled mess of marigolds, blanket flower, coreopsis, lantana and plumbago. So far it is a jumbled mess. my idiotic trashy neighbor seeded his yard with grass seed, got some in my flower beds and now i have to remove all the plants from the beds on his side of the house, dig out the grass and replant. Grrrr....

i like to use fine china, crystal and silver. I have never understood why people have it and don''t use it....

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 3:32:42 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 7/13/2006 3:52:33 AM
Author: Galateia

Date: 7/13/2006 1:25:18 AM
Author: KristyDarling
All your talk about cooking reminded me that I am an avid baker. I bake some kind of cake, cookie, or other goodie about once a week.......whiiiich pretty much explains my, uh, jigglyness.
20.gif

Do you mean your ''juiciness''?
31.gif
2.gif
down here in the south we call it ''fluffy''

''ewe''s not fat, ewe''s fluffy!''
9.gif
OMG - that is a RIOT! I must remember that one!! ROTFLMAO!
9.gif

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
well this is deffinately a great thread. I am the type of person who thinks they are fairly creative so I am always trying to make something. It all started in high school when I was in the hippy croud and we all hand made dresses and altered our pants and made tons of hemp jewlery!!! I still love to sew, I have a machine set up at all times and just made DD and myself duvet covers for our beds, I usually get a thought in my head and try it, no patterns! I also love making jewlery, beaded and such, and I crochet. I try to have a project going on at all times, last year I made purses out of placemats and sold them on ebay and at a few boutiques and this year I am making slate ikabana vases. They are doing really well at a few local flower shops and I am making 20 to be sent to a woman in Chicago who saw one while visiting this area. It is really cool that people like what I make, it is fun. I am totally into flowers and plants so this is great. I have 2 small little ones so it is nice to have something to do between caring for them like others have said. I will post some pics of my current hobby!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
here is one of the placemat purses

DSC01334_1.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
here is one of the slate ikabana''s

DSC02154_1.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
here''s another smaller one

DSC02156_2.jpg

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
by the way dbgaap, your blouse and skirt are amazing!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 4:06:36 PM
Author: mingagreen
by the way dbgaap, your blouse and skirt are amazing!

Oh Thank You!

Your placemat purse is REALLY CUTE! You are so clever!

I am the same way with projects & creativity. I need to have soemthing going all the time. How about beads? I make necklaces all the time- they are so quick & easy.

As your kids grow, you can have fun making costumes for them.
I always started early on the Halloween costume because I enjoyed it so much!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
dbgaap, I agree, that outfit is amazing!

I love pretty much anything to do with the ocean. Sailing, tidepooling, walking on the beach. I get really bored just sitting on the sand at the beach, and I burn ridiculously easy, though, so I prefer the beach in winter!

I also read heavily. Love history, science, and general fiction. And I''m into geocaching, which involves using a handheld GPS to hunt down little treasure troves hidden in public parks or natural areas. It''s a great way to incorporated walking or hiking with a little mental activity.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
thank you selkie!

I would love to see pics of other people''s hobbies (well, OK, I KNOW what the ocean looks like ...
20.gif
)

And I am really curious about the vases, mingagreen-
can you describe what exactly is that?
very cool looking!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer to say big boned or healthy!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Hey dbgaap thanks, the vases are really fun, they make a big statement and only take up alittle space!
I start with a piece of slate and chip away at it till I think it looks good, then I drill a hole thru it with DH big power drill (not the fun part!) then I poly it, and attatch a saucer that is water tight. In the saucer there is a pinfrog, which a bunch of brass pins that you place the stems of the flowers on. I hope this makes sense, they are hard to explain and if you saw one without flowers in it you would probably have no idea what it is for!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 7:36:59 AM
Author: mingagreen
Hey dbgaap thanks, the vases are really fun, they make a big statement and only take up alittle space!
I start with a piece of slate and chip away at it till I think it looks good, then I drill a hole thru it with DH big power drill (not the fun part!) then I poly it, and attatch a saucer that is water tight. In the saucer there is a pinfrog, which a bunch of brass pins that you place the stems of the flowers on. I hope this makes sense, they are hard to explain and if you saw one without flowers in it you would probably have no idea what it is for!

Well, I admit I am not very knowledgeable about flowers, so I don''t even know what is inthe vase.
But, I do love the striking simplicity of having a single flower, and the contrast between the flower and the unusual vase takes it up a notch! (I watch too much Emeril on foodnetwork tv)

very aesthetically pleasing !!

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Another sewer here. I make a lot of my own skirts, jackets and lately bags. I am obsessed with finding amazing fabrics..... my favourites at the moment are sari''s. I also make minature figures out of polymer clay and have recently started to dabble in mosaics (just small stuff like plant pots etc). Basically I am a crafter and my favourite website (after this) is craftster.org.

My main passion, however, is international travel. We are always dicovering new places and heading out of town (that''s what city life will do for you!). We are an international couple so at least once a year we have to head out of country to see my family so we usually tag on another trip to the visit it exciting. I also read constantly (goes well with the travel!).

ladykemma - I love gardening but live downtown so no garden
8.gif
....we just returned from Europe where poppies were everywhere ....so beautiful in May....they look majestic. I can''t wait for a garden that I can plant poppies in. Enjoy your garden
26.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 3:45:03 PM
Author: ladykemma
I play in the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval and renaissance recreation group. In the SCA I like to cook and sew.

The cooking involves several course feasts for 100 - 250 people. I cook huge feasts (with a helpful staff) about once a year.

I also like to study and sew the clothing of the elizabethan time period roughly 1560-1599. I am scheduled to become a green belt appentice to My Sewing ''Mistress'' (read teacher) formal ceremony will be in september at Laurels'' Prize Tourney. This is a great honor.

we have decorated our home in a Williamsburg, Virginia fashion. My husband made most of the furniture.

I like english style gardening. I am trying out a texas heat xeriscaping front yard in a jumbled mess of marigolds, blanket flower, coreopsis, lantana and plumbago. So far it is a jumbled mess. my idiotic trashy neighbor seeded his yard with grass seed, got some in my flower beds and now i have to remove all the plants from the beds on his side of the house, dig out the grass and replant. Grrrr....

i like to use fine china, crystal and silver. I have never understood why people have it and don''t use it....
This sounds very interesting. I''d love to see pics if you have any.
We might have enough sewers here to have a ps sewers thread.

Last time the word "sewers" was in the title, lotsa people thought it was referring to sewers, like storm drains & such.

I also make my own patterns and give them to someone else to sew. She is young and very crafty. I call her my "sewist".

I love that craftster website, too!
need to lurk more there so i''ll stop needing more diamonds!!

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
Wow, everyone here has such a diverse range of hobbies! I wish I could sew so I could do up my pointe shoes, but I can''t so my MIL does them on her machine! I would love to get a sewing machine for Christmas and learn, but DH doesn''t think I''ll use it. LOL. I''ll work on getting some pics of me dancing and I''ll post them. I''ve been in a seminar for ballet (pointe) all week and my toes are killing me!
-Grace
1.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Besides collecting gems, I collect classic horror movies and figures (there is another thread somewhere about PSr''s very interesting collections). I also dabble in wine and and collect wine art by Thomas Arvid.

Other hobbies include fishing and ballroom dancing. I haven''t done much of the latter over the past several years, but used to do some teaching and hope to get back into now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results