shape
carat
color
clarity

Hobbies .... other than diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Grace43537

Rough_Rock
Does anybody have any interesting hobbies...other than diamonds? I am a ballerina and dance for a small studio near my home. I went up on pointe last year when I was 23, which is quite old considering most girls go up when they are about 12! I''ve been dancing since I was very young, about 4th grade or so and I''ve done it ever since. If I get enough guts I''ll post some pics of me in my shoes, etc.
37.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love to read and go to movies and I love to buy make up and play with it!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 1:07:16 PM
Author: diamondfan
I love to read and go to movies and I love to buy make up and play with it!
You know. We need to meet you and I. LOL.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I make wood hairpins on my minature lathe.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''m a constant reader, so I like to go to the bookstores and see what I want when the prices are marked down! I go to my fiance''s sports games most weekends, but when I''m not, I hang out with my Dad and mini dachshund.

I like long walks on the beach and horseback rides.

Kidding, I can''t swim and I''m allergic to horses.
1.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if its a hobby but I love to work out. Cardio specifically. I love, love, love a long cardio workout and workout 6 days a week. I know I should add weights but I dont'' like weights. If I miss a cardio workout I feel cranky. I take that one day a week as a rest day so I don''t injure myself and get vey antsy.

I like all kinds of cardio. Is that a hobby or lifestyle? Hmm, I enjoy buying nice workout clothes, I spend a lot of time dong it, spend money on it, read about it etc. So I guess its a hobby??

I also love photography but don''t have as much time as I would like for it. My favorate subjects- my kids of course!!

And I love to read but don''t have time for that.

My jewlery habit is fun but expensive. But I do enjoy my collection very much :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Travel (duh, I guess.)

Before I met my FI and all my vacation time was taken going to visit him Oz, I used to love to travel by myself and write travelogues. I''ve been told I''m pretty good at it.

I also like watching food shows and honing my cooking skills. When I traveled, I didn''t know how to cook and I realized it would have saved me a lot of money because I could have made my own meals in hostels. So I came home and realized I really did enjoy cooking once I got over my fear of it.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
oil painting

they''re all works in progress - I''ve never been able to say "It''s done."

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I am really interested in photography and interior design. Now that grad school is over, I am thinking seriously about taking a photography class for fun at the local county college/adult school. I love interior design, architecture, tours of old homes/estates....fi and I are both really into it! I always say in my next life I willbe some kind of designer- interiors, floral, jewelry- hey, you never know!!!!
2.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I love to alter my own clothes and I occasionally sew something special for myself.
I love to work with very fine lace, silk, etc.

For my anniversary I made a silk blouse trimmed with chantilly lace. The lace was sprinkled with sparkles.

I have a special area with my sewing machine, supplies, a cutting table, etc.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE reading. I also love spending time at the bookstore perusing new releases and such. And if the weather is nice, I love going outside for walks, since I live right by the beach. I also really enjoy kickboxing, there''s a sense of satisfaction knowing that I can throw a decent punch if something happens that would require me to defend myself.

Oh, and old Disney cartoons. The classic Donald Ducks, Mickey Mouse and Goofy cartoons. I watched them as I was growing up, and I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I watch them again.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Bird-watching. They''re beautiful and interesting to watch. Don''t get to do it very often though.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
here are some pics- the one on the right is the back view without the blouse on. I only made the blouse and skirt. The corset was made by a professional.

sewingIvedone.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea for a thread!
Besides diamonds, my interests are:
African Violets, gardening, photography (but no digital camera yet), reading (I'm a newspaper junkie).
I have season subscriptions to the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Opera Company of Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania Ballet and the Wilma Theater in Philadelphia. I go to New York every 2 weeks or so to see a show or visit a museum. I'm a member of the African Violet Society of America, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the Metropolitan Art Museum in NY, the Philadelphia Art Museum (saw the Andrew Wyeth exhibit today), the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia and the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.
I also like to walk around my neighborhood and give treats to cats.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I love cars.

However, my wife and I are trying to get started in photography cuz it''s a ton cheaper (altho still super expensive) and can do it together.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Cool thread! Can''t wait to see how it develops!

For me, my OTHER free time involves:

-mountain biking with my 2 Australian Shepherds (the only friends I have who can keep up and ALWAYS want to go for a ride!)

-freshwater aquariums & breeding tropical fish (loaches mostly... and they''re the tough ones to breed)

-quilting (mostly hand sewn & quilted... terrible with a machine, even after 4 queen-sized quilts!)

-baking for Army get togethers... and that means multiplying recipies by about 20 : )

Aussiegirl : p

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I go walking every night with my two dogs.

I also have done hand-stitched quilts, a lot of sewing (cross stitch, embroidery), and crocheting.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Scuba~ Love love love love diving!!

I make marionettes.

I coach a mini-soccer girls team during season and watch my daughters play when they play their games too.

I love to read .... so I usually read things that are non-sensical. I cannot stand chick reads or political stuff.

I sketch.. a lot .. faires, gnomes, etc.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, BEFORE I had a 1 year old and 3 year old running my life, back in my single days at home in Chicago I played a lot of classical piano and gigged around town for weddings, special events, and chamber recitals on a regular basis. I also loved going to jazz clubs in Chicago, but since they''re practically nonexistent in San Francisco that stopped as soon as I moved here. I was also attempting to learn jazz chords and improv on my own. I love to read: fiction (both Oprah''s club chick lit and more "serious" stuff), non-fiction esp. genetic anthropology and linguistics...but nowadays reading is relegated to 20 minutes at bedtime instead of hours on end, reading things cover to cover. I wish I could also say that I rock climb and go mountain-biking (like *everyone else* in the Bay Area) but I''m not a very physical person. (speed and height scare the crap outta me) I do like a good walk, though.
9.gif

Nutshell: I blame my kids for not having any real hobbies anymore.
9.gif
Surfing PS is perfect for my life right now...it fits in conveniently between work, diaper changes, and wiping noses.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re on, Gypsy!

Asscher reminded me that I love photography. Before I was kept busy with three kids, I would have loved to be either a singer, have my own make up line, or be a photographer. Obviously none of the three panned out in a professional way...so I dabble. I also like going to botanical gardens and museums and galleries too, and touring show homes...I guess I just like purty things!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 4:55:25 PM
Author: Cinderella
I LOVE reading. I also love spending time at the bookstore perusing new releases and such. And if the weather is nice, I love going outside for walks, since I live right by the beach. I also really enjoy kickboxing, there''s a sense of satisfaction knowing that I can throw a decent punch if something happens that would require me to defend myself.

Oh, and old Disney cartoons. The classic Donald Ducks, Mickey Mouse and Goofy cartoons. I watched them as I was growing up, and I get all warm and fuzzy inside when I watch them again.

Cinderella!!! I just bought the collections! I too, was craving some old Donald Duck (the one where he tries to control his temper, but it doesn''t work), and I went to Toys R Us with my Dad, and found all these collections! I have Goofy, Mickey and Minnie, Donald and Daisy, Donald by himself, musicals (I was looking for Lambert the Sheepish Lion), And the "How To" collections. I always get the warm fuzzies when I hear the theme songs!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 12:06:04 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Well, BEFORE I had a 1 year old and 3 year old running my life, back in my single days at home in Chicago I played a lot of classical piano and gigged around town for weddings, special events, and chamber recitals on a regular basis. I also loved going to jazz clubs in Chicago, but since they''re practically nonexistent in San Francisco that stopped as soon as I moved here. I was also attempting to learn jazz chords and improv on my own. I love to read: fiction (both Oprah''s club chick lit and more ''serious'' stuff), non-fiction esp. genetic anthropology and linguistics...but nowadays reading is relegated to 20 minutes at bedtime instead of hours on end, reading things cover to cover. I wish I could also say that I rock climb and go mountain-biking (like *everyone else* in the Bay Area) but I''m not a very physical person. (speed and height scare the crap outta me) I do like a good walk, though.
9.gif

Nutshell: I blame my kids for not having any real hobbies anymore.
9.gif
Surfing PS is perfect for my life right now...it fits in conveniently between work, diaper changes, and wiping noses.

KD, timing, as they say, is everything! it is ALL about making it work around things...the higher demands win out every time! Just be glad you are not a raging insomniac like me!!! And did I tell you lately how pretty your ring is? Still enjoying it?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gardening, backpacking, cooking, volunteering (not a hobby but takes up a lot of my free time)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay DF!

Well I''m a dabbler too really. I have to have projects. I write fiction. Sew. Paint (acrylics). Design my dream house (have a scrap book full of everything from floorplan to fireplace)... interior decorate my home, FMIL''s... and anyone who asks me to help them with their home. I love to read. Adore my cats, and while I dont'' consider volunteering a hobby-- I do spend a large portion of my time at the shelter. I love photography... but my good camera is film and well... I don''t have the patience for it... so I''m waiting till we get our cannon digital to start that up again. I don''t do it all at once. One or two at a time. And don''t usually finish my projects... I actually enjoy coming back to them with fresh perspective and ideas after a while of leaving them be. Oh, and cooking. I love to cook (and eat
38.gif
)... don''t like it when it become a chore though... so I try to not cook too much. I''ve taught my fiance to cook, so we alternate. Which is nice.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 1:04:36 AM
Author: Gypsy
Yay DF!

Well I''m a dabbler too really. I have to have projects. I write fiction. Sew. Paint (acrylics). Design my dream house (have a scrap book full of everything from floorplan to fireplace)... interior decorate my home, FMIL''s... and anyone who asks me to help them with their home. I love to read. Adore my cats, and while I dont'' consider volunteering a hobby-- I do spend a large portion of my time at the shelter. I love photography... but my good camera is film and well... I don''t have the patience for it... so I''m waiting till we get our cannon digital to start that up again. I don''t do it all at once. One or two at a time. And don''t usually finish my projects... I actually enjoy coming back to them with fresh perspective and ideas after a while of leaving them be. Oh, and cooking. I love to cook (and eat
38.gif
)... don''t like it when it become a chore though... so I try to not cook too much. I''ve taught my fiance to cook, so we alternate. Which is nice.

Before I had kids (translated picky eaters) and a dh who thinks dinner should be served when he arrives home at 10:00 pm...I loved to cook. Now, I am tired! What to make, will all THREE kids eat it, is it not too caloric for me(I usually end up making YET another meal for me), will it keep for DH til late at night, will he care, what do I need from the market etc....PHEW. A menu to a good pizze place makes me happy these days!!! You can cook and I will eat, makes perfect sense!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL... yeah. We have to cook for fiance''s grandfather who lives with his mother (right next door) as she works evenings. Dinner has to be served by 6:30 at the latest. Our break is Thursdays which is when he ''chips in'' (he''s a love of a man. 98 years old) and treats us to dinner out somewhere, and the weekends when FMIL is home. While grandpa is not picky... it''s a pain sometimes planning out meals and such when both my fiance and I are spontanious people by nature... just prefer to have whatever we feel like, when we feel like. But with grandpa... we can''t do eggs at dinner, or pancakes, or just a salad, or sandwiches ... a whole multitude of things. Fortunately he''s pro ethnic food so we try for different cultural cuisines each night... Irish, Indian, Thai, Itallian, Russian, Chinese, Persian, Japanese... you name it. We''ve gotten very adept and different cuisines. Lots of reading and lots of trial and error. But still... it becomes a chore.

I can''t imagine who I''d feel with three kids... my nieces are picky and I want to strangle them at dinner time when they come over. Of course that''s mainly because they are ill mannered. Oh well.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All your talk about cooking reminded me that I am an avid baker. I bake some kind of cake, cookie, or other goodie about once a week.......whiiiich pretty much explains my, uh, jigglyness.
20.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 1:25:18 AM
Author: KristyDarling
All your talk about cooking reminded me that I am an avid baker. I bake some kind of cake, cookie, or other goodie about once a week.......whiiiich pretty much explains my, uh, jigglyness.
20.gif

Do you mean your ''juiciness''?
31.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baking.
Reading
Playing the piano

Astronomy using my telescope.

Online shopping......
41.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a bookstore nut too... there is a Barnes&Noble across the street from me, so conveniently on my way home from everything
9.gif
. I usually spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours browsing with a cappuccino, but I do love chick-lit that is well-written and long enough to last me more than an afternoon (think Marion Keyes). My MOH and I are also Jane Austen worshippers.
30.gif

My other passion is FOOD... I love the anticipation of planning dinners out, checking out restaurant menus ahead of time... and I'll try absolutely anything once... usually twice! My secret pride is my tough baby brother who openly enjoys sharing things like escargot, lamb lollipops, and raw oysters with me. From Buddakan to Grotto's Pizza to grilling out in the backyard, I just genuinely love eating!
18.gif
And dreaming about the days when I have a non-apartment kitchen to cook and bake in!

Hmm, what else... I've always been a writer, either poetry or journaling or stories... I'm obsessed with my cat... we spend a LOT of time with friends and family (especially my 2 baby nieces!)... I'm a football and hockey fan (watching, not playing!)... I looooove the beach, any time of the year, so we definitely do some traveling.

Oh, and my fiance and I are admittedly TV junkies, especially during the winter when things like Lost and 24 are on... but Project Runway just started last night and I'm already hooked.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results