shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmmm, an octagon faceted opal

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
This Ethiopian opal is 7mm with a high crown. I really like the floral facet pattern and precision cutting. The color is a little reminiscent of a rainbow moonstone. Now, I love moonstones too. I just don't want to screw up on my first opal purchase. I've wanted an opal for some time now, but they are a) expensive and b) come in all kinds of free form and flat cab shapes that I'm not crazy about. I've found gorgeous ones on that one site that auctions opals, but the ones I like are always at least $300, which is too much for my budget. This one is less than $200 and seems really unique.

I know, I know it's a matter of whether I love it or not. Well, besides that I did some searching and had a hard time finding setting ideas for it. Do any of you have octagon center stone rings? I'd love to see!

The photos are fairly accurate, but of course it's hard to capture the changing colors and I took them quickly without trying every type of light. The base color is transparent/slightly milky. The color flashes are green/teal and blue/lavender. The blue/lavender doesn't show in these images, but I think they show that this is a subtle stone, not a screamer. There isn't any red or orange, and I'm fine with that as they aren't my favorite opal colors anyway. Thoughts?

P4020038%20(1024x952).jpg

P4020037%20(1024x874).jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty opal! I've seen Kismet (I think) set an octagonal stone in a pendant. If you are looking for a standard setting, in a pendant, a 4 pronged square cushion setting will do in a pinch.

You probably already know about the care of opals so ignore this next part if so. :tongue: It is all right to soak your opal in plain water once a month for a few minutes as water is one of the components of the opal. Opals gradually lose the water under dry conditions and start to crack which is called crazing. The same is also true for oversoaking the opal; it might fracture as it expands unevenly causing stress to the internal fractures. Never put opal in oil or in detergent solution because it may lose the colour. Cleaning should be a dry wipe with a soft cleaning cloth and the opal should never be exposed to heating.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautifully cut stone! That is very appealling - will it be a pendant (safer for an opal) or are you considering a ring?

Thanks Chrono - i did not know not to soak in oil - that was the advice I received YEARS ago when I got my first one... uh oh... into a bit of water it shall go! Is it too late to save an 'oiled' stone at this point?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Chrono and Enerchi! No, I don't know a ton about hydrophane (sp?) opals except that they become transparent when wet. I did know about crazing, but was under the impression that some craze and others don't. They seem almost alive don't they?!

A pendant is a good option, although I'd like to be able to see it when I wear it. I was kind of hoping to find a stone for a special occasion ring. This is a hexagon, but similar to the type of design I was considering...

Hmmm, can't upload the photo right now, but if you scroll through this page/thread there are several awesome designs, especially the last one towards the bottom.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...tone-ring.171071/page-6#post-3118705#p3118705

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, that would indeed be a fantastic setting for this opal! What colour metal are you thinking? My first thought was to go either RG or YG... what was your thought?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Opinions about what metals would look best with these colors are welcome. Yellow gold is not really my thing, but I do wear rose gold and all types of white metals. Cost is a factor so I looked on some of the more affordable antique reproduction setting sites. I actually found a beautiful octagon setting and contacted the vendor about it, but the size was wrong for this stone. If I end up going completely custom, the design will have to be simplified because the setting I linked to wouldn't be affordable, though it is beautiful.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
white metal would just go 'blah' with this stone. I think it needs a contrast. I'd go YG or RG (yes, I know you said YG isn't your thing...) but the contrast it what will help make this pop.

what about putting a coloured sapphire halo around it - blue stone melee or pink or orange? oooh, I think I kind of like that idea!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Cool ideas, rich gold and blue sapphires. You have lovely and expensive taste! :love:

I also think amethyst melee would look really nice, over black rhodium or some sort of oxidized finish. I could really see this as a pendant. Bummer I wouldn't be able to see it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh... you've got some sweet ideas yourself bluebird!!! I like the amethyst idea too!! and the oxidized metal or black rhodium... cool! Now will black rhodium wear off as quickly as white rhodium plating does?

ITs so easy to spend money isn't it?? (especially OTHER peoples money!) Tough part is paying the actual bills! :lol:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love the color of that opal! How does it look when it's not on a dark background?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see a white metal doing much for the opal because the white background will blend in too much with a white metal. Rose gold will provide a better contrast for it to pop. Does the opal need a backing for the colour play to be more obvious?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Kismet. Actually, I think the color looks similar regardless of background. I left it in the box because it made the photo shoot easier. I will take others when I get a chance. I have a couple more setting ideas that I will post later too.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a beautiful color, and an interesting cut

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Arkteia. I took some more photos, but I guess you could still consider the background dark. This is outdoors under a cloudy evening sky. Would you believe a gust of wind blew my whole little flower and leaf stage off the deck rail with the opal on it? Everything fell 5 feet into the dirt and grass EXCEPT the gem, which somehow stopped short and decided not to jump with everything else as I desperately reached for it mid-gust.

Apologies for too many photos. Every time you take one it's different. This stone begs to be looked at closely. From a distance and in certain lights, it doesn't give away it's secrets. There are times it is mostly clear with a thin golden fog.

P4040024%20(800x600).jpg
P4040031%20(800x602).jpg
P4040040%20(800x602).jpg
P4040045%20(800x600).jpg
P4040047%20(800x600).jpg
P4040048%20(800x601).jpg

Pausing to reload...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely enclose it as much as possible to bring out the colour play. The leaf isn't very dark but it is dark in contrast to the opal. I had the terrible scare once of dropping my ring in the mulch. It's a good thing it was a set stone but something that small/big still isn't easy to find. :errrr:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool opal. Is that from Uli (osirisgems). I recognize the cutting.

T

talamasca

:love: WOW, I love it! I think I would want a ring so I could stare at it all the time.

I think I'd go for a rich 18k rose or yellow gold. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do :)

ETA to add pic - I know it's not quite the right shape, but I think your opal would look great in something similar

Paula-Crevoshay-Octagon-Ring.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm biased, but I think Ethiopian opals look best in rose gold, it really bring out their bright, warm colors. I had my ring made about a month ago and my designer used a solid-backed bezel, but she didn't have to darken the rose gold at all. Just closing it in made the play-of-color really stand out. And, the other advantage to the bezel is that I feel safer with an opal in a ring if it's at least somewhat protected by a bezel.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, talamasca, that's a great setting for an unusual shaped gem. I agree about wanting a ring.

TL, no it wasn't cut by Uli, but it does look like it doesn't it?

Tanzigrrl, it sounds like I should search your threads. Do you have an Ethiopian opal set in rose gold? I do hope to bezel it or have it bead set in a false bezel type setting for the protection. Not sure if opals can be bead set or not, but I do like that look.

Chrono, I asked the faceter about crazing and soaking. She said she doesn't think it needs to be soaked or that crazing will be an issue since her rough is dried and aged before cutting. I really don't know anything about that, but it would be nice if that's the case.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Love this!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results