shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmm... Which one to cut - Umbalite or Mayala lovelys

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 4:27:06 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Date: 2/3/2009 2:54:38 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ohh I see. Hmm I don''t think I''ve ever seen that before - it could look really gorgeous! Do you have any example pics?
No, but I''m going to start hunting tonight!

Awesome! I hope you find some great examples! I like InnerKitten''s idea of engraving too - that would be really pretty!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited! I opted for the umbalite garnet. I''ve asked Gene to make it 7mm. It will be the same cut as the malaya shown above. He calls it star 80.

Yippeee! Happy birthday to me!
30.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 3:00:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Really?? Hmm, last I asked he couldn''t cut me an umbalite cushion, or is he going to cut you an umbalite in the same shape as the round? I hope you get one and post pics.
He said that he hasn''t worked out a cushion design yet for the umbalite. In order to make a cushion, he''d need to make it deeper, and that would darken the stone. He wants to keep it light and bright and the round works well for that.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:56:21 AM

Date: 2/3/2009 10:54:14 AM
Author: arjunajane
As a new owner of a Gene umbalite, I am seriously biased and vote for the umbalite!
9.gif

I really like that star malaya too, but for me the colour of the garnets he has is killer - I'm tempted to get another, lol..
So where's pictures of your umbalite? I'd love to see it but must have missed the post.
Hi cinnamon..
here's Gene's pic:

precision%20cushion%20umbalite.jpg

And one of mine - I asked to have it in the cushion, which I really love. As you can see its a lil more dark/purple than what you're after, but was exactly what I wanted.
5.gif

Here's the thread with lots of pics: umbalite cushion

ETA: hrmm.just saw the post above - trust me, he can do an umbalite cushion! (although I think he may prefer not to as like you said it darkens the stone). I personally think mine turned out great, not too dark at all.
DSC02327-resize.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gaaaa Gaaaa
emsmilep.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 8:00:04 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Gaaaa Gaaaa
emsmilep.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Tee Hee, thanks TL - may I ask, how long ago was it that Gene said he couldn''t do the cushion?

I saw this design in his blog and knew I had to have it!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cut effects the tone a lot on these garnets. The stone with the frosted star is the exact same material as the cushion way at the top of this thread. What will brighten up a garnet is larger facets, and fewer of them, and also a more shallow cut stone. The frosted star stone is deep, because it needs to be to get the star in there. If you are looking for more of the pink color, and lighter stone, then you don''t want a cushion, because most cushion cuts require a barion, which again deepens the pavilion.

I had one deep very lighter stone, that I bought with the intent of cutting an Asscher, but ended up cutting it this week with a frosted diamond shape. This stone is being given as a gift to Neil Diamond this week at the Grammy Awards dinner Friday night. It''s a one of kind stone that will not be duplicated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 9:33:17 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
The cut effects the tone a lot on these garnets. The stone with the frosted star is the exact same material as the cushion way at the top of this thread. What will brighten up a garnet is larger facets, and fewer of them, and also a more shallow cut stone. The frosted star stone is deep, because it needs to be to get the star in there. If you are looking for more of the pink color, and lighter stone, then you don''t want a cushion, because most cushion cuts require a barion, which again deepens the pavilion.

I had one deep very lighter stone, that I bought with the intent of cutting an Asscher, but ended up cutting it this week with a frosted diamond shape. This stone is being given as a gift to Neil Diamond this week at the Grammy Awards dinner Friday night. It''s a one of kind stone that will not be duplicated.
No fair, Neil Diamond isn''t a PS''er!! Is he???? Well he does have a gemmy last name. Ha!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:33:17 PM
Author: PrecisionGem

Sounds awesome! Pictures????
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 7:42:12 PM
Date: 2/3/2009 11:56:21 AM

Date: 2/3/2009 10:54:14 AM

As a new owner of a Gene umbalite, I am seriously biased and vote for the umbalite!
9.gif

I really like that star malaya too, but for me the colour of the garnets he has is killer - I''m tempted to get another, lol..
So where''s pictures of your umbalite? I''d love to see it but must have missed the post.

Hi cinnamon..

here''s Gene''s pic:

precision%20cushion%20umbalite.jpg

And one of mine - I asked to have it in the cushion, which I really love. As you can see its a lil more dark/purple than what you''re after, but was exactly what I wanted.
5.gif

Here''s the thread with lots of pics: umbalite cushion

ETA: hrmm.just saw the post above - trust me, he can do an umbalite cushion! (although I think he may prefer not to as like you said it darkens the stone). I personally think mine turned out great, not too dark at all.

DSC02327-resize.JPG

YUMMY
18.gif
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Gene - that is very cool news! I can''t wait to see Neil''s stone! But I want to see mine more!

arjunajane - your stone is sooooo pretty!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:37:47 PM
Gene - that is very cool news! I can''t wait to see Neil''s stone! But I want to see mine more!

arjunajane - your stone is sooooo pretty!!

Thanks Cinnamon and BEG!
But all the credit must go to Gene..
Gene, that is very exciting news, how prestigious! Do you know if Neil Diamond plans to wear it, or is it intended to be appreciated "as is"?

Can''t wait to see pics after the Grammys.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Cinnamon013, since you''re thinking about a diamondless halo, how about engraving it (the halo)? Might turn out interesting! Something with curves and scrolls would compliment the shape of the stone, but wouldn''t (IMO) get in the way of it''s scintillation.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:20:37 AM
Author: ma re
Cinnamon013, since you''re thinking about a diamondless halo, how about engraving it (the halo)? Might turn out interesting! Something with curves and scrolls would compliment the shape of the stone, but wouldn''t (IMO) get in the way of it''s scintillation.
Yes, that is what I have pictured in my mind. But I don''t want to spend too much setting it so custom is probably out. So far, I haven''t found any settings online that look like this.

For some reason, I don''t want to bezel it, although I love bezels. I want to see the edges of it!

If you find any pave-less halos with prongs, please show me!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
This photo and the next one show a bezel halo with bead trim. Shows you don''t necessarily need pave or diamonds to have an interesting look. These are stuller but not made in 7mm. And only a representation of something that I would wind up to like. I''m looking for white gold fyi.

71264_Y_.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Smaller stone in this setting. This would be pretty with a 4mm stone I think!

71264_Y_4-0.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:29:30 AM

Yes, that is what I have pictured in my mind. But I don''t want to spend too much setting it so custom is probably out. So far, I haven''t found any settings online that look like this.
I suggest looking at settings for cabochons and asking vendors is it possible to modify them so that they can accomodate a faceted stone. Here are a few jewellery pieces with such halos, and they''re all for cabs:

#1 (the pendant)

#2 (the one on the left)

And I''m not trying to be funny, but THIS might look similar to what you have in mind.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mare,
The 4th link (last one) doesn''t work.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Like the earrings of #3 - a small barely showing halo. Ok, so what is #4? Link broken as Chrono says.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:58:17 AM
Like the earrings of #3 - a small barely showing halo. Ok, so what is #4? Link broken as Chrono says.
A wax model of an emerald cut prong ring setting, with a flat (bezel-like) trim around the prongs.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both pretty dreamy...but I love the richness of the umbalite!!!!
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
More ideas:

a) searching for an empty antique setting;
b) having a rope trim (let''s call it that) additionally applied to a ring (shouldn''t be too expensive).

Let me know if links are not working
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can not WAIT to see this stone cut!!! Gene does some amazing work!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
So of course I'm waiting to get a setting to see the stone and how it speaks to me. But, in the meantime, I've been searching for a setting. I've had one email with Sally of Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy. This heart ring is kinda what I'm thinking for a halo without diamonds or pave. The pendant she sent a picture of shows a good look at the scroll design on the profile.

Whatcha think?

il_430xN_54818683.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
side view of the ring

il_430xN_54700933.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
view of the pendant. This shows the side view, but not quite the halo I''m going for.

tn_sally halo pendant.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Last side view of the ring.

il_430xN_54818734.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the scroll work on the basket and the metal "rim" helps the stone look bigger and more interesting. The pendant is very sweet too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results