shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmm... Which one to cut - Umbalite or Mayala lovelys

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Gene''s going to cut a garnet for me for my birthday. He''s got some rough available of the umbalite and the malaya like what is shown in these photos.

It will be cut into the "precision star 80" round cut like the malaya shown below - whichever rough I choose.

The malaya is more expensive - about twice the price of the umbalite. So for that reason, I''d like to go with the umbalite color. However, this malaya peachy pink is also yummy.

What''s you take/vote/input? Which one would call your name and why?

THANKS!

Malaya peachy pink:

829.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Or this darker also yummy umbalite garnet color: (but cut like the one above)

824.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the Umbalite be the same colour as the star round cut on Gene''s blog at the moment?

Unfortunately I''m going to be no help because each will be lovely - it sounds like (apart from the cost) you prefer the Malaya colouring? If so, I''d say go with your gut instinct.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:44:48 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Will the Umbalite be the same colour as the star round cut on Gene''s blog at the moment?

Unfortunately I''m going to be no help because each will be lovely - it sounds like (apart from the cost) you prefer the Malaya colouring? If so, I''d say go with your gut instinct.
To me, that star round one looks darker and must be a different parcel. When I asked him, I asked about rough that was from the same parcel as the cushion. But I better find out....cause that star one is a little too dark for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d choose the umbalite because the colour is vivid. The Malaya isn''t peachy enough for my taste.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the umbalite too. I like that vivid color much better.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucky you!

get the color you like best, wear the most, or are inclined to wear the most. how are you going to set it?

i''m not a pink person but the malaya isn''t doing it for me.......

movie zombie

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of the umbalite from the photo you provided, as well. However, the background on the umbalite is darker than the malaya, which might also help its color to pop more.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that color umbalite, and I tried to buy it, but it was already sold. If you like a little orange in your pink, then I would go for the Malaya. It's very difficult to find nice colored Malayas.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
As a new owner of a Gene umbalite, I am seriously biased and vote for the umbalite!
9.gif

I really like that star malaya too, but for me the colour of the garnets he has is killer - I''m tempted to get another, lol..

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:54:14 AM
Author: arjunajane
As a new owner of a Gene umbalite, I am seriously biased and vote for the umbalite!
9.gif

I really like that star malaya too, but for me the colour of the garnets he has is killer - I''m tempted to get another, lol..
So where''s pictures of your umbalite? I''d love to see it but must have missed the post.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:56:51 AM
Author: movie zombie
lucky you!

get the color you like best, wear the most, or are inclined to wear the most. how are you going to set it?

movie zombie
It''ll go in a ring, but I''m not sure yet what. I love the look of LOGRs on others and think they are very pretty, but a bit too much for me. I''ll have to start a file of photos of what I have in mind and see what input I can get from everyone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 10:09:07 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I love that color umbalite, and I tried to buy it, but it was already sold. If you like a little orange in your pink, then I would go for the Malaya. It''s very difficult to find nice colored Malayas.
He has more rough and that is what he will cut it from. I think he has several pieces from the description in his blog.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What color of metal do you prefer; malaya would be more suitable for white or rose, whereas umbalite would (IMO) look better in yellow. It also depends on the look you''re after. Malaya would be great for a piece with a calm, romantic, peaceful character, while umbalite suggests more of a fun, vibrant and eye-catching piece. So it''s your pick
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:11:20 PM
Author: ma re
What color of metal do you prefer; malaya would be more suitable for white or rose, whereas umbalite would (IMO) look better in yellow. It also depends on the look you''re after. Malaya would be great for a piece with a calm, romantic, peaceful character, while umbalite suggests more of a fun, vibrant and eye-catching piece. So it''s your pick
1.gif
Oooooo Mr ma re I like being described as "vibrant and eye catching piece" lol!

Actually, I''m setting my umbalite in white gold and my malaya in yellow! The malaya looses it''s colour-changieness in white gold and the Umbalite is too "in yer face" in yellow gold! Horses for courses I guess
1.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I''m leaning toward the umbalite. Just waiting to hear from Gene on a few questions.

I''ll have to wait to see the stone, but I think I''m leaning toward white gold. I like the trellis setting that brown eyed girl posted that she got from americanset. Actually, I''d like a LOGR type setting without the pave and less metal under/around the stone. Like a little disk of metal that it sits in. Does that make sense? Anyone have a setting like that-reasonably priced? Or a split shank...

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 1:29:05 PM

1.gif
Oooooo Mr ma re I like being described as ''vibrant and eye catching piece'' lol!

Actually, I''m setting my umbalite in white gold and my malaya in yellow! The malaya looses it''s colour-changieness in white gold and the Umbalite is too ''in yer face'' in yellow gold! Horses for courses I guess
1.gif
Exactly what I said - if you "follow the rules" malaya will turn into a somewhat understated piece of jewellery and umbalite will turn into an in yer face one; but you (LD) obviously don''t want to follow the rules and choose to make those pieces more versatile. Nothing wrong with that, it''s your personal preference and sense of style
2.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 1:53:56 PM

Date: 2/3/2009 1:29:05 PM

1.gif
Oooooo Mr ma re I like being described as ''vibrant and eye catching piece'' lol!

Actually, I''m setting my umbalite in white gold and my malaya in yellow! The malaya looses it''s colour-changieness in white gold and the Umbalite is too ''in yer face'' in yellow gold! Horses for courses I guess
1.gif
Exactly what I said - if you ''follow the rules'' malaya will turn into a somewhat understated piece of jewellery and umbalite will turn into an in yer face one; but you (LD) obviously don''t want to follow the rules and choose to make those pieces more versatile. Nothing wrong with that, it''s your personal preference and sense of style
2.gif
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I prefer peachy Malaya--wonder what the hue looks like in person. Umba is cool too.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 1:51:57 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I''m leaning toward the umbalite. Just waiting to hear from Gene on a few questions.

I''ll have to wait to see the stone, but I think I''m leaning toward white gold. I like the trellis setting that brown eyed girl posted that she got from americanset. Actually, I''d like a LOGR type setting without the pave and less metal under/around the stone. Like a little disk of metal that it sits in. Does that make sense? Anyone have a setting like that-reasonably priced? Or a split shank...

I say both!
31.gif

But if you had to choose, I say umbalite! It would look really pretty in a white gold trellis (plus the one I have was relatively inexpensive, which was nice!). Or are you thinking more of a bezel type, when you say LOGR minus pave?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like both. I''m actually in the process of trying to get one ( an umbalite) from him in the same shape. I do want to add a pinkish malaya to my collection eventually. I''d also like a mali and a tsavorite. But all of those will have to wait.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:32:20 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

I say both!
31.gif

But if you had to choose, I say umbalite! It would look really pretty in a white gold trellis (plus the one I have was relatively inexpensive, which was nice!). Or are you thinking more of a bezel type, when you say LOGR minus pave?
Both if only my pocket book would let me! But yes, umbalite it''s likely to be.

But not necessary bezel, more of four prongs sitting above the halo and the halo does not have diamonds. Weird?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:45:40 PM
Author: innerkitten
I like both. I''m actually in the process of trying to get one ( an umbalite) from him in the same shape. I do want to add a pinkish malaya to my collection eventually. I''d also like a mali and a tsavorite. But all of those will have to wait.
are you going with the round or the cushion?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:47:43 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Date: 2/3/2009 2:32:20 PM

I say both!
31.gif

Both if only my pocket book would let me! But yes, umbalite it''s likely to be.

But not necessary bezel, more of four prongs sitting above the halo and the halo does not have diamonds. Weird?

Ohh I see. Hmm I don''t think I''ve ever seen that before - it could look really gorgeous! Do you have any example pics?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:29:45 PM
Author: coatimundi
I prefer peachy Malaya--wonder what the hue looks like in person. Umba is cool too.
I do love that peachy malaya! Oh if it weren''t twice as much per carat!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how to quote :-/ But I''m pretty sure I''m going with a round. I''m leaning towards a bezel setting but I guess I''ll know more when I actually see the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 2:45:40 PM
Author: innerkitten
I like both. I'm actually in the process of trying to get one ( an umbalite) from him in the same shape. I do want to add a pinkish malaya to my collection eventually. I'd also like a mali and a tsavorite. But all of those will have to wait.
Really?? Hmm, last I asked he couldn't cut me an umbalite cushion, or is he going to cut you an umbalite in the same shape as the round? I hope you get one and post pics.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So will the halo have some sort of pattern? Or will there be some stones?

TL a round not a cushion.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 2:54:38 PM

Ohh I see. Hmm I don''t think I''ve ever seen that before - it could look really gorgeous! Do you have any example pics?
No, but I''m going to start hunting tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results