shape
carat
color
clarity

Highly Recommended Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to share my first and recent diamond buying experience. I realize this is a long post so skip to below the dotted line for my recommendation.

First off, let me say that when I began initially doing my research online I had no intention of buying. I was going to accumulate as much info as possible and then eventually use it to make my purchase from a trusted jeweler in the Baltimore area- I looked at several others but eventually decided on this one. I had actually gone through a trial run at the jeweler to figure out what type of diamond I would purchase, how much I would need saved, how long the process took, ect. As I became more educated I found that not only could I probably get a better diamond online because of the higher selection, but I would probably get a better price. At this point I had started the crossover to becoming a convert towards the online purchase experience. Now I was having trouble selecting a vendor. How could I know who was to be trusted? I eventually decided that if I got the diamond cert that it would be sufficent. I mean if the stone is GIA or AGS who needs an appraiser? Of course, I would take the final ring to get inspected just to be sure that I hadn''t been ripped off.

I was against using an appraiser that I had never met. I mean it is hard enough to trust an online vendor. Adding another party into the transaction is just another opportunity for your stone to get switched or something to go wrong. I even mentioned this to an appraiser. The answer he gave was comforting- "If you are dealing with a credible appraiser, you really don''t have to worry about it being switched. There are very reasonable methods of proving a diamond is the same... Secondly, if an appraiser (or anyone having an internet presence) would do that, their reputation would be forever ruined,as it is easy for someone to make a complaint seen by everyone quickly."

After doing further research, I had decided that I would get an appraiser involved just because my lack of experience in the area. An appraiser provides you with a lot of information that is NOT included on GIA or AGS reports. ALso take note that both AGS and GIA have printed that before purchasing the stone should be checked by a credientialed expert, or certified gemologist. In the end I decided to use Rockdoc. He helped me select 2 stones that would be sent to him and he would then choose the best. The nice thing was is that I did not have to put up the money upfront. I only had to pay shipping on the stones that were not selected. On paper one stone was the clear winner- the idealscope and HCA scores were much better so I was sure that would be the one he would select. After looking at the visual performance of the stones it was the other stone that ended up being selected. I decided to have him keep the selected stone to have him set the diamond once the setting was constructed. This would not only ensure that it was properly set, but he could also inspect the final ring to make sure no further polishing was needed and perform the insurance appraisal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working with Rockdoc was amazing. He treated me as if I was his only customer. Any time I had a question or reservation he was there to answer and reassure me. His credentials were impeccable and his knowledge of the subject was easily distinguishable after our first conversation. I would have never selected the diamonds that he picked out on my own. To be truthful, I don''t understand how he stays in business because he spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone with me yet his fees were unbelievably low. The amount of value that I received from his services can not be put into any dollar form. When I received the final ring I was in shock. Let me just say that these things look SOOOO much better in person (and i thought the pics were amazing). I can not say enough good things about the Rockdoc. He is personable and very trustworthy individual. I would highly recommend him to any person thinking of purchasing a diamond. For pics of my final product click here. Once again, the pics do not do it justice...

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
All kidding aside, the main message I want to convey is that there is value in getting an appraiser whoever that may be. My recommendation of Rockdoc was based of my personal experience as a consumer with the only diamond I have purchased in my life.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
We appraisers all love to hear the message you''re saying, Jake.

Thanks.

And for what it''s worth, I think Rockdoc would make a great Pope of Appraisers.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A JEWISH POPE ????????????????????

Now that''s a first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to hear that nice stuff from those who we make this special purchase become PERFECT for them.

I know this whole group loves that.

Rockdoc

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/3/2006 4:43:26 PM
Author: RockDoc
A JEWISH POPE ????????????????????

Now that''s a first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to hear that nice stuff from those who we make this special purchase become PERFECT for them.

I know this whole group loves that.

Rockdoc
We DO love it
1.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results