shape
carat
color
clarity

High Risk Browser Exploit from vendor website

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
I am not exactly sure what just happened, but I went to the engagementringsdirect.com site to look at a few stones after reading a post. Almost immediately, my Norton popped up with this message: MSIE DHTML CreateControl Range Code Exec HIGH RISK browser exploit was detected and stopped. Now, it may be completely harmless, but I''m just not sure. Has this happened to anyone else? Just wondering what type of things the ERD site (or any other for that matter) is trying to track when we look around. Please understand I am NOT picking on ERD ... just a bit unsure of what I just saw.
I would appreciate any comments from computer geeks who understrand this stuff.
Thanks in advance, BB

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
LostSapphire, I had not seen that - thanks for posting it. Luckily, my Norton did catch it. But I really would not have expected any of our vendors here to have things like that. Although I will stress that I am not sure it''s anything to fear, it does make me uneasy. It merits further questions though.
-BB

Snickerdoodle

Shiny_Rock
I clicked on it a few weeks ago while at work and a box came up indicating that my system was busy quarantining a virus. About a week later I was brave enough to try it again, and haven''t had any other issues with it. But, it does make me a little uneasy and I don''t seem to browse ERD nearly as much as I do the other vendor sites.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a comment.

I HATE NORTON! NOT FOND OF SYMMANTEC EITHER.

A local computer guru turned me on to a product called Nod32 that actually works without slowing down my system, catches "wild" viruses, automatically updates it self, several times per day if necessary and once every two years reminds me that it needs to be renewed.

I have a copy on every computer that I own and would never be on the net with out it.

Google it up, don''t know why it does not get more press, but it kicks the stuffing out of Norton.

The previous has been an unpaid, unsolicited, apolitical opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 11:58:30 AM
Author: Wink
Just a comment.

I HATE NORTON! NOT FOND OF SYMMANTEC EITHER.

Wink
About 60% of the computer trade will agree with you Wink.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Any advice about protecting Macs?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Karl!

(OT: It''s nice to have a name for you, after all these years.)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 12:42:57 PM
Author: glitterata
Thanks, Karl!

(OT: It''s nice to have a name for you, after all these years.)

welcome

Whats funny is I like the name storm better than my own name lol
I have always hated my name.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I like the name Karl, but I''m happy to go on calling you Storm.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 2:23:06 PM
Author: glitterata
I like the name Karl, but I''m happy to go on calling you Storm.

Either one is fine
9.gif

ButterBean

Shiny_Rock
Dear Wink, Storm, Glitterata and Snickerdoodle:
As always, THANKS for good information. I will check out the links provided.
35.gif
And I agree that Norton definitely had it''s shortcomings. Now I have an alternative to look into, as I didn''t care for Macafee either.
BB

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Now that''s funny, because I tried to use that website the other day, and my computer popped up with a blue screen of death & some nasty error message & just rebooted itself.

Needless to say I didn''t go back.

x xx

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 9:01:32 PM
Author: Cleo
Now that''s funny, because I tried to use that website the other day, and my computer popped up with a blue screen of death & some nasty error message & just rebooted itself.

Needless to say I didn''t go back.

x xx
Which AV software are you running?

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Um...Norton :)

x x x

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I had the same issue when I tried to access the ERD site. Thanks for clarifying and posting the link, Storm. Nice to have a name for you too!

Jen

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 8:13:03 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
I had the same issue when I tried to access the ERD site. Thanks for clarifying and posting the link, Storm. Nice to have a name for you too!

Jen
Which AV are you running?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 6:01:41 AM
Author: Cleo
Um...Norton :)

x x x

update flash and norton and see if it still does it please.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Storm, I''m running AVG 8.0 It was installed by the guys who repaired my laptop a few months back.

Jen

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 1:42:19 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Storm, I''m running AVG 8.0 It was installed by the guys who repaired my laptop a few months back.

Jen
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results