shape
carat
color
clarity

High Praise For Mark Turnowski At Engagement Rings Direct!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Davoice

Rough_Rock
During the weeks and months I have spent trolling the bulletin boards here at Pricescope.com, I have come to believe that many of us Pricescopers share the characteristics of skepticism and intense curiosity. We scour publications – both on and off-line – for information about diamonds of every size and shape. We devour bulletin board postings on Pricescope.com and other Web sites where the fine points of diamond clarity, shape, color and cut are dissected and argued 24 hours a day. We do this for the sole purpose of purchasing a diamond ring, which will hopefully last forever.

Although we Pricescopers consider ourselves to be better prepared to purchase a diamond ring than many other shoppers, we share one critical characteristic with non-Pricescope.com users. Like them, at the end of the day, we have to truly trust the person we decide to buy an engagement ring from.

Fortunately, we are in luck because Mark Turnowski of Engagement Rings Direct (www.engagementringsdirect.com) has made his services available to us. In my opinion, he is one of the most ethical, trustworthy, skilled and friendly persons I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I am happy to recommend Mark for all of these reasons and – most importantly – because he helped me select and purchase a stunning diamond ring recently. A ring with which I proposed to my fiancé and that she (and everyone else) absolutely adores.

MY STORY

I began my search for a diamond ring for my fiancé about two years ago when I decided that she was the one and that I would have to begin saving for my upcoming engagement. Before I met Mark, I considered myself pretty well educated on diamonds. I believed I knew what to look for and how to avoid scams. However, because I am the type that can never have too much information, I came to Pricescope.com to continue my diamond education.

After perusing the site for a while, I decided to request a diamond quote. I was pretty impressed with the prices the venders provided me with, as they were significantly less than what I was getting on Blue Nile.com and from other bricks-and-mortar venders. One of the e-mails I received was from someone working with Mark. After looking him up on Pricescope, and liking what I saw I decided to give him a call.

SELECTING A DIAMOND
During my first telephone call with Mark, I told him that I was going to ask him a lot of questions about selecting a diamond. At first I was more concerned with supplementing my education with hands-on experience than purchasing a diamond. Mark was more than willing to accommodate my requests. In addition, he agreed to meet with me pretty late in the evening (I live in New York City where Mark is based) to accommodate my work schedule.

My first meeting with Mark was fantastic. He was more than willing to answer my (many) questions about diamonds. Mark also selected a three or four stones for me to examine based on my original specifications. At no time was Mark interested in making a “quick sale.” Instead, he took the time to teach me everything from the proper use of a loupe to how to judge a stone’s color grade. He also sat with me while I attempted – with my very untrained eye – to locate inclusions in different stones. I was pleased that Mark was willing to give me the keys to the kingdom even though he was aware that I might take all of the information he provided me with and go to another jeweler.

After a couple of hours, with Mark, he told me that I was welcome to come in again to continue my diamond education. I was pretty impressed with Mark’s honesty and openness and accepted his offer.

It was my second visit with Mark that convinced me that my search for a reputable jeweler had ended. Mark showed me a couple of stones – again purely for educational purposes. He then said: “one of these stones represents a diamond that you should not buy. Tell me which one it is.” I couldn’t believe it. He was testing me! Fortunately, because of the knowledge I had gained from him and my own research I answered correctly. The test sealed the deal for me. In my book, anyone who is willing to tell you what you shouldn’t buy is a pretty trustworthy person. By the end of my second visit, I told Mark that I was going to go with him and what I wanted in a diamond: a high-quality stone with lots of fire and presence.

On my third visit with Mark, he showed me a couple of beautiful princess cut diamonds. I should say that although princess cut diamonds do not have as much fire as rounds, both gems he showed me were absolutely scintillating. I was sad that I could only choose one! After, I made my choice, Mark and I got down to the final part of our business together: the securing the appraisal and setting the stone.

I was concerned about having to purchase the diamond before having it appraised and set. Again, Mark went out of his way to allay my concerns. He delivered the stone to the appraiser with me and picked it up when we were done. He also sent the diamond to Gelin and Abaci for setting – using his own insurance policy (he also got me a discount on the setting). After receiving the setting, he let me have ring appraised again prior to purchase.

In every respect, Mark went above and beyond the call of duty to assuage my doubts, educate me on diamonds and make my diamond purchasing experience as pleasant as humanly possible. I recommend that anyone thinking of purchasing a diamond – long-distance or in person – work with Mark.

THE PROPOSAL AND REACTION TO THE RING

I am happy to report that my girlfriend accepted my proposal. She loves her ring –and the many complements she has received about it. The ring has been described as everything from “beautiful” to “amazing.” When she tells me of all the positive comments on her ring, I think to my self: “Thank’s Mark!”

Good luck to all of you Pricescopers searching for the perfect engagement ring. Go with Mark and you won’t regret it.
emsmile.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This type of post is not allowed without pictures!!!!!!

2.gif
3.gif
1.gif
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Another great account and happy beg/ending with Mark at ERD! Excellent and congrats!
emthup.gif

Now show us the ring!!!! (Ok, OK, please?)

cheers--Sharon

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Davoice,

Really liked your story, and am beginning to see why people like Mark Turnowsky.

Don''t like the appraiser part, though. Regardless of how they''re picked, his lurking doesn''t sound good, with respect to the job the appraiser''s supposed to do, and your need for his opinion, without respect to his longer term interest in more business from a jewler and other projects.

Sometimes, that''s just a hard part of the job. The realtor I bought a house from is also a good friend. He recommended a house inspector that we did use, and we bought the house. Later we had water problems, and it got complicated. Fact is, our realtor friend really did want the best for us, and years later, when our particular house inspector was featured independently in a critical local paper as uniquely among the best of the business, we knew that particularly well...but...and regardless, since our friend the realtor''s ultimate sale depended on our inking the deal, his putting us in a position to go with an appraiser he recommended did complicate things unnecessarily.

Fundamentally, sounds like a similar situation. Turnowski has an excellent reputation, and this merely appears to be a bad behavior...unless someone on this board thinks I''m off the wall on this, and wants to correct me. Congratulations on a buy you and your fiance are clearly more than happy with!

Davoice

Rough_Rock
I will clarify my discussion about the appraisal . . . there seems to be some confusion on that score. Mark did not know the appraiser I was going to see. It was my decision about what appraiser to use. Mark simply delivered the diamond to the appraiser b/c -- as I had not yet purchased the stone -- he was unwilling to part with it before money changed hands. However, Mark did not play any role in me selecting him.

I hope that clarifies things.
21.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Davoice,

That you selected him is good to hear.

I guess if it''s attractive -- and of course it is -- to get the sort of hand-holding and soup to nuts relationship that makes the buying part easy that a jeweler can supply, there''s no way around possible appearances of impropriety, that could be suggested by having the jewler be known to the appraiser. Then again, I went for that in my buying process. Having the jewler provide the diamond to the appraiser before the sale is part of what makes the process easier for the customer. I think we understand that it is part of the ethical code the appraiser has, not to mention his or her basic decency, that allows us to understand this is a reasonable approach.

I suppose until someone collects data on the variance in results in the buying process, comparing the results of the report when there is only a relationship between buyer and appraiser, versus one where there''s triangulation between buyer, appraiser, and jeweler, can we know if there''s any substantive impact.

Anyway, sorry to have caused any fuss. And congratulations on what is obviously a happy result.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results