shape
carat
color
clarity

High Maintenance Ring

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am just about to ask Leon to make this ring. It is stunning, but would this be classified as a high maintenance ring and could it be worn everyday?

https://leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/engagement-rings/cosmo-round-diamond-solitaire-detail

Looking at previous posts Shank size minimum 2mm and stone set medium height, can anyone suggest anything else to make this ring a little more robust without taking away from the beauty of the ring?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Has any Psers purchased a Cosmo from Leon or similar ring from another vendor? My problem is if stones do fall out or ring gets damaged in anyway, Leon is an 8hr flight away.

Thanks for your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 3 sided pave ring will need to be babied a lot and isn't meant to be worn 24/7 or even most of the time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto... in this case there's no way around choosing your priorities: you can have three-sided pave or you can have a ring you can wear regularly without worrying overly about damaging it; you simply can't have both. It's pretty much a guarantee that this design will lose stones and will get bent out of shape over time, even with non-rigorous wear, so you'll need to either find an excellent local bench or be prepared to ship it back to Leon.

Many people do choose aesthetic over durability and that's a perfectly fine choice - as long as you accept responsibility for that choice and are willing to provide the care and maintenance it will need ::)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want "robust," three-sided pave is not it, especially at 2mm. I have a three-sided pave engagement ring and wedding ring, but at 4mm and 3mm, and I still don't wear them every day. fwiw mine aren't damaged at all, but I don't wear them in situations where I know stress will be put on them. They are also considerably heftier than any Leon ring.

Recent thread from someone whose similar Leon ring has fallen apart basically twice now:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-remaking-leon-mege-pave-halo-setting.215815/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-remaking-leon-mege-pave-halo-setting.215815/[/URL]

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Three sided pave is most likely not going to hold up long term if you are looking for a robust everyday ring. It's a beautiful look, but I think you would have to baby it a lot to keep it safe. I guess it just depends as to how often you plan to wear it and if you are willing to take it off for certain activities. :wavey:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
If you want "robust," three-sided pave is not it, especially at 2mm. I have a three-sided pave engagement ring and wedding ring, but at 4mm and 3mm, and I still don't wear them every day. fwiw mine aren't damaged at all, but I don't wear them in situations where I know stress will be put on them. They are also considerably heftier than any Leon ring.

Recent thread from someone whose similar Leon ring has fallen apart basically twice now:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-remaking-leon-mege-pave-halo-setting.215815/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-needed-re-remaking-leon-mege-pave-halo-setting.215815/[/URL]

I was going to post this same recent thread. OP has a three sided pave ring from Leon and it has been very much damaged by normal wear. I think you are smart to consider this now. If this is a special occasion ring for occasional dinners out and things like that, then it's probably fine. But most definitely it will not hold up to even gentle everyday wear.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Luv2Sparkle just posted in that thread that her 5 year old 2mm Leon three-sided pave ring is out of round and has messed-up milgrain. Reena/CAMomOf2 had issues at 4/5 years with both her ring and the remake. I'm at 4.5 years at my heavier, not worn everyday ring, and no issues. But I like knuckle-to-knuckle finger coverage so made the jeweler make it as thick as he was willing (not Leon, or even hand-forged, just regular cast from a decent but not outstanding jeweler), knew I wasn't going to wear it all the time (combination of not actually enjoying wearing rings all the time and liking to switch out what rings I wear), and went into knowing that despite that I may have to replace the setting every decade anyway (and I'm okay with that - wouldn't be okay with every 5 years though). I think if you go with three-sided pave you just have to accept those things as possibilities and be prepared, both emotionally and financially, for them to happen (and also for your insurance to not like it if you keep replacing the same setting). For me, the joy my setting brings me outweighs the risks. But only you can decide if it does for you.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Try one-sided pave instead. Others linked to my post above, but my 3 sided pave LM ring (which was absolutely exquisite and my favorite thing that i owned), could not stand up to my active lifestyle (notwithstanding that I never wore it cooking, to the gym, in the shower, etc.). Just to be clear, the craftsmanship was second to none - Leon was not to blame for this problem. It just took me a good 10 years to realize that this style of setting was too delicate for (my) everyday wear. (Honestly it had never occurred to me until searching around last month that three-sided pave would be less sturdy because you pierce the metal shank on three sides. It makes sense though, now that I know.)

I spoke at length about this problem with the lovely Victor Canera when I was considering a reset, and he suggested one-sided bright-set pave (you can see an example of this on his site but it basically has a thin metal border which can be milgrained or not) as a sturdier choice. I'm sure Leon could make a lovely one-sided bright set pave setting as well.

I will tell you that as beautiful as the three-sided pave is, it was not (for me) worth the loss of peace of mind of constantly having to worry about your ring. Never again for me! Then again, I have four kids and it's always craziness at my house. Your lifestyle might be different!

Good luck!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others: you could better choose a different design if this is meant as an everyday ring. I have a halo ring with 3-sided pave from Victor Canera. I love the design but mine is an occasional ring and I am very careful when I wear it. It feels very sturdy made though and I have had no issues with it.

You could indeed have Leon make a bright cut set ring with one sided pave. Ask him to have no pave between 4 and 8 o'clock to avoid unecessary damage. Good luck in making your decision.

_478.jpeg

_479.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom - what is the width of your shank?

Also, rather than three-sided pave, you could do one-sided bright-cut pave with engraving on the other two sides. It would still provide a lot of visual interest.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1444502161|3937017 said:
Acinom - what is the width of your shank?

Also, rather than three-sided pave, you could do one-sided bright-cut pave with engraving on the other two sides. It would still provide a lot of visual interest.

Distracts: I think the width is 2mm.

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your responses, it really has made me think. So this ring is like "Having the Ferrari in the garage" type scenario. That's fine it cannot be an everyday ring and my wife needs to get use to being more careful.

Thank you all once again for excellent feedback.

Stunning ring Acinom!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
egemnoel|1444591750|3937255 said:
Thank you all for your responses, it really has made me think. So this ring is like "Having the Ferrari in the garage" type scenario. That's fine it cannot be an everyday ring and my wife needs to get use to being more careful.

Thank you all once again for excellent feedback.

Stunning ring Acinom!

Does your wife want a ring that she would need to baby? Might she prefer a ring she could wear most if not all of the time?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah if this ring is for your wife rather than yourself, please show her this thread and let HER make the decision. For reference, I often only wear my ring when I am having company or leaving the house for a social event. For anything else, I either wear no ring or another ring. If this is going to be an engagement ring, most women want an engagement ring they can wear roughly all day every day, and many women also don't want to spend $40k on something that is going to sit in a box most of the time. Obviously some of us are okay with it, but I don't think most would be. I'm not trying to talk you out of it but to make sure all your bases are covered.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what's propelled you from the desire embodied in your original post to purchase a ring that "could be worn every day" & is not high maintenance to this:
egemnoel said:
So this ring is like "Having the Ferrari in the garage" type scenario. That's fine [if] it cannot be an everyday ring and my wife needs to get use to being more careful. [bolding added]
But I do hope -- since it is a gift for her -- that you will engage your wife in a dialogue about her preferences and desires before winging off the order.
Let me offer this analogy: were my SO to surprise me with the shoes below accompanied by the announcement, "Darling, I know these Christian Louboutin Daffodil Strass shoes require attention. But I think they're stunning and since they cannot be returned because they were a special order, you'll just have to get used to being more careful when walking in them," I would not be pleased.

louboutin_daffodilstrass.jpg

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
Your advise is sound as always. This is a gift for my wife after been married 15 years. I don't think 'crystal' would have went down too well, it would have been much cheaper though :)

She is a full time mum and does a great job and always loved pave work. Her everyday ring is also made by Leon and with no pave at all, so this is the perfect time to have that ring she always wanted.

MollyMalone, loved the Louboutins, perfect for when gardening.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... that could be a new marketing angle: Louboutins for lawn aeration! ;))

(I wasn't intending to suggest that you should limit yourself to a solitaire mounting with plain shank, but rather agreeing with the others who'd recommended that you explore with her whether the drawbacks to a narrow shank with 3-sided pavé are A-OK with her.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results