shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Halo (at base) Setting

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I am currently shopping for settings, and I am trying to find something similar to Brilliant Earth's Demi setting, where the hidden halo is at the base of the diamond as opposed to mid-height AND band diamonds wrap 3/4 of the way (we're open to shared prong or scalloped, is there much of a difference?)

I've received quotes for custom pieces matching it, but if there is an established setting that is comparable, I would be much more apt to go that route.

Thank you!

King - Ring Side.JPG

Cking332

Rough_Rock
That is almost perfect, thank you!

I would like to find one without the horizontal basket. I'll search their site, but am open other recommendations.

**edited by moderator, trade members may not recommend items**

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Unless your diamond is smaller than approximately a carat, I do not recommend a basket without the cross bar for that design. The cross bar is there for a reason, it stabilizes the head, the prongs and the diamond. Keeps the prongs from loosening and protects the basket and the diamond from hits and digs.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty BUT see that big jut out (donut) on the shank under the crown? A wedding band will not sit flush. There will be a visible gap. Also three-sided pave will rub and scratch all over a wedding band (even a gapped band). Plus three sided pave it’s not as easy to wear day in and out (unless you have victor make it.). You’d have to “baby” it. It that’s okay, then okay. But if you hadn’t thought of it, you should be aware.

For that reason, I like the stuller better. The diamond studded collar is up higher than the shank such that a (low profile) wedding band could sit flush. Also just having the pave just on top of the shank won’t cause all the extra pave-encrusted side effects that can happen with more elaborate settings.

(Plus stuller has a very comfortable price point).

Cking332

Rough_Rock
That makes sense, thank you.

Any idea on approximate price in 18K White Gold, Semi-Set? I know my jeweler will need their markup, but having a ballpark figure never hurts.

Thanks for all of your help!

Unless your diamond is smaller than approximately a carat, I do not recommend a basket without the cross bar for that design. The cross bar is there for a reason, it stabilizes the head, the prongs and the diamond. Keeps the prongs from loosening and protects the basket and the diamond from hits and digs.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That makes sense, thank you.

Any idea on approximate price in 18K White Gold, Semi-Set? I know my jeweler will need their markup, but having a ballpark figure never hurts.

Thanks for all of your help!

I'm pretty sure that forum rules prevent me from giving you a price here. PS has some very strong consumer protection rules.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
152A5798-ABDF-45A7-A00C-20FFFEBC2E37.jpeg
This is the msrp for 18K WG, semi-set with SI1, G-H stones. My jeweler usually charges a bit less than msrp, but some may charge the full amount, plus a setting fee for your center stone.

E9138C73-C9CE-4E07-879A-23F95A3837BD.jpeg
If you are on Stuller’s website, you can go to “Locate a Jeweler” and look for one that has a “Jeweler Showcase” That will allow you to see the msrp for different combinations. You can change the metal or quality of side stones.

Attachments

• 9A4A5CD7-AA89-47F5-B0FF-0F68F4243D0D.png
    9A4A5CD7-AA89-47F5-B0FF-0F68F4243D0D.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 23

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!

152A5798-ABDF-45A7-A00C-20FFFEBC2E37.jpeg
This is the msrp for 18K WG, semi-set with SI1, G-H stones. My jeweler usually charges a bit less than msrp, but some may charge the full amount, plus a setting fee for your center stone.

E9138C73-C9CE-4E07-879A-23F95A3837BD.jpeg
If you are on Stuller’s website, you can go to “Locate a Jeweler” and look for one that has a “Jeweler Showcase” That will allow you to see the msrp for different combinations. You can change the metal or quality of side stones.

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Understandable, thank you for all of your help with this, much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure that forum rules prevent me from giving you a price here. PS has some very strong consumer protection rules.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the halo low on the head like this, just know that those diamonds will harm any metal or stones they touch. So, have a thought about a wedding band. You will need to either have a spacer between the Ering and wedding band, OR wear a wedding band that is very low on the hand and is well "under" those diamonds. As an example, Even a wedding band made to be identical to the shank of the ering will hit the diamonds. This is not "good" or "bad" just something to think through before you commit to this design. If the halo was just a bit higher, which you can do without raising the head, you'd allow for this particular band.

upload_2019-3-14_21-1-44.png

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just as a note, Stuller has different levels of melee quality. You can usually (not always) configure most of their settings with F VS Candamark melee. It takes some clicking around with their configurations to find it sometimes. But you can get it on that setting, I checked. It will cost a bit more but it is a higher quality melee. And again, this is something anyone can order for you. But you do need to specify when you request a quote that you want the Canadamark F VS melee in order to get it, unless, like us, that is the jeweler's default.

Stuller Pave.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a visual example, this halo is sized to be hidden from the top for the size of the stone. But, its a bit higher off the shanks giving more room for a wedding band (NOT recommending this vendor, just thought the video showed the design well).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwUQKAAN-8/

Here is a vendor PS often recommends. This is a plain shank, but they likely can get it in pave.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Buoyophh_8O/

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Just as a note, Stuller has different levels of melee quality. You can usually (not always) configure most of their settings with F VS Candamark melee. It takes some clicking around with their configurations to find it sometimes. But you can get it on that setting, I checked. It will cost a bit more but it is a higher quality melee. And again, this is something anyone can order for you. But you do need to specify when you request a quote that you want the Canadamark F VS melee in order to get it, unless, like us, that is the jeweler's default.

Stuller Pave.png

@Cking332 Here it is with the Canadasmark melee

DD5CBF4B-E6A6-4359-B66E-B91594C3C996.jpeg

@LaylaR , do you ever use Stuller’s Precision cut melee? I’ve been wondering if it’s comparable to the Canadamark H&A melee.

Cking332

Rough_Rock
Well we've decided to go with the Stuller and now I have the same question you asked @LaylaR.

Are the Stuller Precision worth the cost over CanadaMark? My to-be is very focused on the sparkle from the melee diamonds and I do see that the Stuller Precision boast a better cut, but is it actually noticeable and worth the price?

Thank you for all the help getting us here!

@Cking332 Here it is with the Canadasmark melee

DD5CBF4B-E6A6-4359-B66E-B91594C3C996.jpeg

@LaylaR , do you ever use Stuller’s Precision cut melee? I’ve been wondering if it’s comparable to the Canadamark H&A melee.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Well we've decided to go with the Stuller and now I have the same question you asked @LaylaR.

Are the Stuller Precision worth the cost over CanadaMark? My to-be is very focused on the sparkle from the melee diamonds and I do see that the Stuller Precision boast a better cut, but is it actually noticeable and worth the price?

Thank you for all the help getting us here!

I cannot comment specifically on Stuller Precision but is better cut melee in general worth the price? Absolutely in my opinion. I actually just commented today about the incredible performance of the small melee in my fiance's ring. It is crazy how they can be so small and still sparkle so brilliantly, in my opinion, definitely accentuates the center stone. Having said that I have not seen the two melee you commented on to compare but in general I would say, better cut matters.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
As a visual example, this halo is sized to be hidden from the top for the size of the stone. But, its a bit higher off the shanks giving more room for a wedding band (NOT recommending this vendor, just thought the video showed the design well).

I love this halo and would like something similar; just a little bit more visible from the top. Are the diamonds placed on 2 rows ie 45 degree angle?
Above is the first I've heard of this Stuller website. I shall have a look. I live in London and apart from small inde benches I was going to consider China manufacturers. Where else would you suggest I consider for a similar design but with knife edge and milgrain on the edges? I'm looking for a good balance of craftsmanship and value as I don't have a huge budget.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results