shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi, new here! Question re: matching band and engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

catou

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I found this site after it having been recommended to me last week. I think it''s a great site!
My boyfriend and I have been discussing rings. He has the very unenviable task of finding me an engagement ring that I''ll like, except- I DON''T KNOW WHAT I LIKE!

I know what kind of band I''d like to have- a thin, pave-set diamond wedding band. I love how it looks on its own, and I''m sure I won''t always be wearing my engagement ring with it. Mister is stuck on a three-stone ring, which I don''t mind. I''m just wondering what kind of setting does a three-stone ring need to be on to match a pave wedding band, and not look awkward? I want the set to fit together, kind of like those I''ve seen on Precision Set''s web site. A close family friend of his will be designing the rings, and I''d prefer we were armed with what we want. (Finding the right diamonds is another story!)

can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks much in advance!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you actually gone to a bunch of jewelry stores and tried on different ring styles? Sometimes what you think you like....and what you decide looks good on your hand...can be very different things!!! I''d recommend actually trying on a bunch of different styles before committing to anything. And hey, it''s fun.
2.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi catou! Welcome to PS!
35.gif

My first thought after reading your post was - do you have to have an engagement ring? If you know what you want in a wedding band, perhaps that would suffice. If your FI really likes the idea of a 3 stone ring, maybe that could be a RHR for you?!

I agree with the advice from FireGoddess.....the best way to find out for sure what you like is to go and try on lots of different styles.

Good luck!

catou

Rough_Rock
Hi again!

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes, in fact we''ve gone to several jewelry stores to try things on. All I know is that I prefer thinner bands and nothing too chunky when paired together. I found a halo setting that I thought was just perfect, but alas, both my mom and significant other rejected it, saying it looked like a cocktail ring.

As for me, no, I''m fine with just a band. My mom''s solution was to just get engaged with the band and then pick out the engagement ring later, if he MUST buy me one. I''m pretty ambivalent about the engagement ring,to be honest. I look forward more to the "life together" part versus the sparkly accessories it comes with.
4.gif

I guess I just don''t want to find a setting, and then get tired of it. Not to mention, thus far my experience with jewelers is that they put on a lot of high pressure sales tactics, which makes it less fun.
20.gif

I''m kind of happy that we''ll have the rings made by a close friend of his family''s. I recall someone here telling me to be careful, as people who do pave ought to be very experienced, but this lady has a lot of experience and a lot of accolades, and an atelier in Beverly Hills. (We''re in Canada, though).

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you can meet with the person who''s making the rings to talk about options. There shouldn''t be any preassure since she''s already going to make the rings. My FH claims to have visited pretty much every jeweler in the city and found nothing he liked; he thought it was all too same-y and ended up going custom. Rings do have trends, and maybe you don''t like any of the current trends.

(though phooey on your family for nixing the halo, especially if it was going to get you an asscher)

The bigger question might be, do you even want a diamond/3-stone E-ring? If you like the look of a slim band alone, there''s no rule that says that you must have a big sparklie to get engaged. Alternatively ou could get an engagement eternity band and wear two stacked bands once you''re married. It''s wide open, don''t get bogged down in the hafta''s and high-pressure sales. Good luck!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend with a gorgeous 5 stone "engagement band". She didn''t want a solitaire, so that''s what she got. Ultimately you''re the one who''s going to be wearing it... so I think you just have to make a stronger case for what you want. Tell your future FI that you know you won''t wear a 3 stone e-ring after you have the w-band, so does he really want to spend the money on something that''s going to sit in your jewelry box every day? Or would he rather put the money towards a band you really love? Easy decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results