shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi I''m new and have some quest. for you experts! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GEMGAL123

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I''m new here and just have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer. I am engaged and LOVE my ring, however, it wasn''t until after the fact that I learned a few things I didn''t know before. I was pretty educated as far as the 4 c''s, BUT what I didn''t know (sorry if this sounds stupid) was that just because you have the same carat weight as someone, your ring could look larger or smaller depending on what shape it was. For example, I have a round and it doesn''t look as large as someone I know who has a different "fancy" shape & I actually have a larger carat weight! I was so suprised when I saw this. I mean we''re talking about a pretty significant difference in size. Has anyone noticed this with their round stones in comparison to others?
Thanks to all!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
A lot of things affect how big a diamond looks. I have a pear shaped diamond that is 1.12. One of my good friends has a 1.17 carat round and my diamnond actually looks bigger than hers. One is just the nature of pears and marquise stones to be elongated. The portion of the diamond that is hidden in the prongs is much shallower at the ends so facing up the area looks larger. Flip the loose stone over and you'll see that the diamond is thinner in those areas. Another factor that affects how big a diamond looks is how well it is cut. My friend with the 1.17 round has a stone that her jeweler says is cut too deep. A big portion of the stone's size is hidden beneath the prongs of the ring. It also doesn't reflect light as well since some it leaks out rather than up through the table. Remember that carat is a weight measurement not a size measurement. A gemologist puts the stone on a scale and that determines what carat the stone is. He also takes size measurements in millimeters. A one carat round may measure 6.5mm by 6.5mm. It may also measure 6x6mm and still weigh one carat if it is cut deeper.

There's really lots that can be learned about diamonds, the most important thing is that you are happy with your ring no matter what the stats are on it. Congratulations on your ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results