shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey here is the first of many....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:29:27 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
Aww thankyou both, you are looking after me and I really appreciate it! I have actually seen what I think could be the one (provided its not gone by the time I need to buy it). Would you have a quick look and tell me what you think?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179732.htm

I know I might miss out on this one as its a couple of months till I can buy it but at least I will know if my choice would be along the right lines.

Thanks
9.gif
lgf% is too short otherwise its nice.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 2:44:07 PM
Author: strmrdr

Aww thankyou both, you are looking after me and I really appreciate it! I have actually seen what I think could be the one (provided its not gone by the time I need to buy it). Would you have a quick look and tell me what you think?

I know I might miss out on this one as its a couple of months till I can buy it but at least I will know if my choice would be along the right lines.

Thanks
9.gif
Storm, could you explain how a too-short LGF% would affect the diamond? I still haven''t learned yet how to interpret LGF% and stars specs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou for that Rockdoc. I really appreciate it when someone posts answers that I can understand!!
9.gif
I do struggle with technical stuff but as long as its kept simple I am ok!!

I don''t want to buy a treated diamond, I just want to make sure that I don''t by accident.

I''M DYING TO BUY A DIAMOND!!!

Sorry about that - lost it for a minute!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I hope to be as knowledgeable as you one day Ellen...... won''t that be exciting!! (Can''t really see it myself though as I just can''t grasp the stuff that you need to understand math for!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only if you don''t like short ones.
25.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:47:58 PM
Author: Kim N

Thanks
9.gif
Storm, could you explain how a too-short LGF% would affect the diamond? I still haven''t learned yet how to interpret LGF% and stars specs.
the effects are more discernable (and dissectable!) in the idealscope pics than real life, especially depending on stone size. you are not likely to see a difference in lgf differences of even 5% in smaller diamonds. it is totally a personal preference and depends on whether you like to see small splintery flashes of light off of the arrows or larger ones (at each end of the spectrum) or if you just want a nice in between. either way, with the right crown/pavilion angles you are going to get sparkle.
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 2:54:07 PM
Well I hope to be as knowledgeable as you one day Ellen...... won''t that be exciting!! (Can''t really see it myself though as I just can''t grasp the stuff that you need to understand math for!)
Oh, Maise you are well on your way. Just stick around, eventually it all soaks in. Well, to a certain extent, then even my eyes start glazing over.
9.gif

And thank you.
1.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Belle!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks
9.gif
I''m going to disagree with belle a lot of people can tell the difference between 75% and 80% lgf% across a few different lighting conditions.
Its more evident in direct light and diffused light but visible in other lighting.
Short lgf% makes for broader less frequent flashes in direct light and a darker table in diffused light.
To me it the second is the bigger issue, work in a office with heavily diffused lighting and the short lgf% diamond will look darker than it should under and around the table.
The balance of white to dark is skewed too far too the dark side in my opinion.

The star facets as long as they are in the normal range of 50% to 65% have very little effect but with some combos serve to let more light into the pavilion mains if they are long..
In a long lgf% diamond a long star% can increase the white light return further and in a short lgf% diamond to lighten them a little but the overall effect is small.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2007 3:33:59 PM

I''m going to disagree with belle a lot of people can tell the difference between 75% and 80% lgf% across a few different lighting conditions.
Its more evident in direct light and diffused light but visible in other lighting.
Short lgf% makes for broader less frequent flashes in direct light and a darker table in diffused light.
To me it the second is the bigger issue, work in a office with heavily diffused lighting and the short lgf% diamond will look darker than it should under and around the table.

The star facets as long as they are in the normal range of 50% to 65% have very little effect but with some combos serve to let more light into the pavilion mains if they are long..
In a long lgf% diamond a long star% can increase the white light return further and in a short lgf% diamond to lighten them a little but the overall effect is small.
Thanks, Storm. So what would be the difference between two stones with 34.7/40.7 angles, but one with 76.9 LGF%/49.6 stars and the other with 76 LGF%/52.5 stars? Slightly broader flashes in the 76 LGF%? And, are both those LGF% middle-of-the-road?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 3:07:46 PM
Author: Ellen

25.gif
Also by strm: The balance of white to dark is skewed too far too the dark side in my opinion.

Come to the dark side, Luke. MUUWWWAAAHHHHH!!!

Ditto what Ellen said.

Strm also said: I''m going to disagree with belle a lot of people can tell the difference between 75% and 80% lgf% across a few different lighting conditions

Personal preference like color is. I likes em short.
31.gif
BTW, just because people can tell the dif. does not necessarily mean that that''s bad. Just my own .02 just like everyone else.

shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
76 to 76.9 isnt enough a difference to matter all that much.

75 to 77 is a larger difference and 77 to 80 is enough difference 80 to 82 is more of a difference. 82+ the difference increases even more as it does under 75%.

Once you get to the edges small changes make more different in my opinion.
once you hit 77 and under say 80 any change isn't that critical.
There is a slight difference some people might see but its small.
When you hit the extremes 75.x and 82.x the difference adds up quicker.

The middle of the road is 77 to 80.

jamiesorr

Shiny_Rock
Funny thing, your question is actually what led me to this forum. I was looking on ebay at diamonds and wondered why they were so inexpensive. Then I ran across one like this and saw that it said "clarity enhanced." With a little help form google I found myself here. I am very glad I did! Although the bf didn''t like it at first. All he could see were extra dollar signs being added to our jewelry purchases. It took a little explaining but he agreed that we would rather buy from a trusted vendor and know that we were getting an diamond with exceptional quality.

Wow, long post. Sorry guys, I got carried away.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Storm. Very helpful info.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
So in the diamond that I have my eye on.... because the lgf is 75.1 - what does this mean? I''m sorry that I don''t fully understand the implications on how it will sparkle or about the dark patch. I feel really confused as I searched for ages to find what I thought was a really nice stone and now there is something else to consider.... and the something else is something I don''t understand!!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Maisie, that looks like a winner to me!!!!
30.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:28:23 PM
So in the diamond that I have my eye on.... because the lgf is 75.1 - what does this mean? I'm sorry that I don't fully understand the implications on how it will sparkle or about the dark patch. I feel really confused as I searched for ages to find what I thought was a really nice stone and now there is something else to consider.... and the something else is something I don't understand!!
9.gif

don't be scared and confused maisie, as someone who actually OWNS and looks at a stone with 75% lgf's (1.22 carat too!) i can tell you, it is absolutely beautiful. don't let the talk of the minutia scare you. it's unwarranted.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phew.... ok so now........... How to put prospective buyers off buying my diamond for the next 8 -10 weeks!!
9.gif

Thankyou everyone for advising me. I really really appreciate it.

xxxx

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:43:54 PM
Phew.... ok so now........... How to put prospective buyers off buying my diamond for the next 8 -10 weeks!!
9.gif

xxxx
put a wee payment on it
10.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:49:05 PM
Author: belle

Date: 1/26/2007 4:43:54 PM
9.gif

xxxx
put a wee payment on it
10.gif
That''s a great idea!!!
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif
you can do that??????

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, you can!
i haven''t had to do it, so i am not sure exactly what the terms are but i know they have a payment plan.
i would email johnq and tell him what your situation is to see what can be worked out.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2007 3:33:59 PM

Thanks
9.gif

storm I think it would be better and more helpful if you advised people as to how such a stone would have a different look than to say it is a rejection.

All the people who like asschers and old cuts for example would way prefer a stone like this and would avoid a stone with 80-85% LGF and this table size like the plague if they were doing blind testing.

Also in diffused lighting this stone will not look dark under the table.

Finally, for others - the lower girdle length is very closely related to the table size and diamond size.
If the table is +60% and this stone is say 1ct plus - then i would prefer the lower girdles were under 80 and even down under 75 to closer to 70.

For very small melle stones longer lower girdles are fine for day time jewellery - but for evening pieces - the shorter the better.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 4:58:30 PM
6.gif
you can do that??????
Sure can I put down a payment for my stone in September and got it in December
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 5:09:20 PM
Author: belle
yes, you can!
i haven''t had to do it, so i am not sure exactly what the terms are but i know they have a payment plan.
i would email johnq and tell him what your situation is to see what can be worked out.
I will see what I can find out. I got really excited when you said that lol!! I wish I lived closer to WF so I could go in and see the stones up close and personal!!

Where do you live Belle and Ellen? You fancy going in and being part of my big experience? Could be fun
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 5:14:09 PM
Author: katebar

Date: 1/26/2007 4:58:30 PM
6.gif
you can do that??????
Sure can I put down a payment for my stone in September and got it in December
36.gif
OOOOOOOOOOOH! This gets more exciting by the minute!! My problem is lack of huge funds just now.... do they ask for a huge deposit? (I''m not asking how much you paid but in general).
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie,
I did it this summer when I wanted to put a hold on 2 stones for studs. I worked hard finding just the right ones and didn''t want to lose them. They were very accomodating.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey Garry I didn't say reject it, I said my opinion is the lgf% is too short.

Also asschers are my favorites and I hate short lgf% rounds.

In diffused lighting it will have a smaller light to dark ratio than a diamond with longer lgf% with equal optical symmetry.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2007 3:54:12 PM
Author: Shay37

Date: 1/26/2007 3:07:46 PM
Author: Ellen

25.gif
Also by strm: The balance of white to dark is skewed too far too the dark side in my opinion.

Come to the dark side, Luke. MUUWWWAAAHHHHH!!!

Ditto what Ellen said.

Strm also said: I''m going to disagree with belle a lot of people can tell the difference between 75% and 80% lgf% across a few different lighting conditions

Personal preference like color is. I likes em short.
31.gif
BTW, just because people can tell the dif. does not necessarily mean that that''s bad. Just my own .02 just like everyone else.

shay
9.gif

strm, my lgf''s are 75.6 if I recall correctly, I''d say that''s on the shorter end, and NEVER does my table look dark, seriously. I would have sent it back if it did.

I also agree, I can definitely notice the difference in diamonds and how they sparkle. Looking at all the ones I have had in my hands, and all the ones I can scrutenize more closely, as in family, I have seen MANY different looks.

Maise, there is no right or wrong. I''ll try to give you an example.

My SIL''s stone has longer lgf''s, and when her stone rocks, imagine seeing a wave of very fine, skinny, needle like sparkles washing over it. Mine has shorter lgf''s, and when my stone rocks, you see some of the smaller sparkles, but intermitently are huge POPS, with a very large, bold flash.

Also, the shorter really put on a show in ambient lighting.
31.gif
Do a search, there are several good threads that can help you.

And that stone is a knockout.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen thankyou very much for your explanation. I understood what you meant!

Its really weird but when I looked at diamond rings in shops here I didn''t really like the sharp skinny sparkles. Up till I read your explanation I couldn''t explain what I meant about how they appeared to me. Now I''m glad I know what causes it because it reinforces that I need a ring with smaller lgf.

What a relief!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results