shape
carat
color
clarity

Here''s the setting for the dream stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I did this correctly. If the image isn''t attached, I''ll try again. The ring will be customized for whatever stone I purchase, but the overall look is what I hope to achieve.

Thanks to all who exercised such patience with me today. I haven''t felt this awkward since freshman year in highschool.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/21/2003 7:28:31 PM Matata wrote:

I hope I did this correctly. If the image isn't attached, I'll try again. The ring will be customized for whatever stone I purchase, but the overall look is what I hope to achieve.

Thanks to all who exercised such patience with me today. I haven't felt this awkward since freshman year in highschool.

----------------

Don't be silly! I can never post an image and Leonid moves my postings around regularly because I put them in the wrong places!! :)

I am vicariously enjoying your search.

Deb

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Please try again ! The suspense is killing me !

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aiyeeee, I can't get it to work. Check out Diamondchitchat.com under gemstones. It worked there for some reason. Mea culpa.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't post either of the photos Pala sent me of tanzanite, either. I am told that Windows cannot figure out what kind of program took the photos or some such thing and then I am sent to a site with "extensions". I am supposed to use this site to figure out what kind of photos I have. I don't know what they mean. Why can't they just copy when I tell them to do so?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photo I was trying to post is a jpeg file. Jpeg is the extension that tells what type of file it is. This posting of photos thing is a crap shoot. They work for me about half the time. Keep in mind that I am dependent on a 15 year old for assistance which should give you an indication of how inept I am at maneuvers more complex than logging in and out.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF,

These settings are rather unusual but the stones are pretty (I got a "file is too big or too small") message when trying to post the photos so you'll have to do a labor intensive point and click.
http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/images/awardring7.jpg
http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/images/awardring12.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wow, those settings are something else! At first sight I hated them, but the pear one is growing on me. It's almost delightfully ridiculous.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Matata,
I went and looked at the picture you posted of the setting that you like. Very pretty, clean and elegant. The stone that you want to use will have to be higher above your finger so that the culet doesn't scratch your finger, but that should be an easy design fix. If you need a design for that type of stone and the cutter you choose doesn't like doing strange designs, let me know and I'll provide you with a cutting diagram. This is a freebie, not an offer for a paid job. I just like doing design work and if you can't get it from your cutter I'll do it. (Just wanted to make that clear as I got reprimanded earlier today for sounding self serving and I want to make my intention clear here).

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
I like the first one!! Too big for ME, but it's very pretty!
appl.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are awesome (very much my style), and it should not be such an ordeal to find stones for them. However, the proportions of the designs require rather large center stones... Otherwise, I would suggest getting the rings done by the same maker, or expect modifications in design. Of course, inspecting the models before casting or such, give some control over the process: but all this requires attentive work.

I have to say that this 'overall look' is what top makers hope to achieve. It is not straight forward. In my experinec, any creative variation on those would take a good designer to ploy and a person (or a few, since some jewelry-makers would normally outsource some of the processes involved in making such a ring) with remarcable technical skills to achieve. You should consider seriously the maker based on his previous experience with similar designs (and these are highly innovative).

The rings in cause contain one a 5ct, and a 12ct center stone respectively. These are tanzanites. getting the same sizes in tsavo or spinel is a whole different story (and cost). For once, a 12ct, tsavo of top grade is not only a world class rarity, but the cheapest I found was 18K (I'd expect more like 25K from a mainstream source and a well cut stone, which is unlikely to be a pear). Five ct, is more likely. I don't see red spinels of this size to often either, and not too many people do (ok, a blue one did cross my way recently, much to my dispear). Such things come from a narrow stream of specialized sources... as far as I know. I would insist on a professional broker (this could be the cutter) for getting one.

Well, otherwise, if the design is to be customized to achieve the same 'look' for a given stone, than starting with a design and a gem is probably ok. Along this line, finding a jeweler who could make a design incorporating your imput & feedbach seems to be the key of the process (now that you have the assistance of a gem cutter...).

Hope all this is of some help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results