shape
carat
color
clarity

here is the wax...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: hope the pictures are fixed now -- pls let me know if you can't see them!

These pictures aren't great, but it gives an idea. The wax was actually modified just slightly after most of these pics were taken (thats why the wax looks discolored in one pic) to narrow the width right under the stone -- just a little more streamlined. I couldn't get a good shot of the side of the shank -- it has a twist in it, which is what I really wanted. The whole thing looks rather tall, esp. with the stone in it, since it is actually sitting on top of the prongs, rather than being set into them. Also, the jeweler wouldn't let me put the wax all the way on b/c it is rather delicate, and I think the extra space (b/c it is not all the way on) makes it look even taller. It should (I hope!) look much more proportionate once it is set and all the way on (can't wait!). Plus it seems the consensus is that the wax is slightly larger than the final product after polishing, etc. The ring is a size 6 and the stone is 1.32 ct G SI1.
I had terrible trouble taking jewelry pictures -- I have a digital camera, and I don't know that it has the fancy settings that people referred to in the threads on photography (macro? aperature? huh??). Maybe I need to dig up the manual.

rng1

rng2

rng3

rng4

rng5

I also found a pair of gold buttercup-set diamond studs that belonged to my great aunt. The stones don't look to be the best cut, but you can't beat free!! And the antique setting makes the little stones (approx. 1 point each, according to my jeweler) look much bigger and sparkle much more b/c they get more light from the sides/underneath since they are up so high. I couldn't for the life of me get a good picture of them -- it all came out like shiny blobs. Ugh.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t see the pics. There''s little red Xs instead.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
It looks nice. How high up does it sit? I had to "view image" to see them.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Oshin, I didn''t measure how high. I was assured that it will be significantly lower after setting b/c the stone will be set down in the space between the curved pieces. There is also a lot of extra empty space between my finger and the ring b/c it is between my 1st and 2d knuckle. My fingers are much bigger at the bottom than at the top. I hope it won''t look too honking once its done...

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s nice too. My only concern would be the height of the setting (it does look high to me too) but if you''re comfortable with the height in real-life, then it looks great!

I love the fluid design, especially the view with it on your hand.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now I see them. Very nice! Can''t wait for the finished product.
19.gif

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
now i''m worried. it seemed a little high, but when i asked they said it would be lower after it was set. i love the view from the top and sides -- but i don''t want it to catch on everything. There is probably more than a full ring size difference between the area where I have the ring in the pic and where i will actually wear it. It was my thought that this will also make up a bit of the height difference, i.e. my finger chub will fill much of the space underneath the setting that is empty in the pics. Is this wrong?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the wax looks great. it does look like a high setting to me but I''d talk to your jeweler about it. waxes are alway bulkier than a polished ring so maybe once it''s done the stone will fit more snug and be lower.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful, and not too high. Remember, some of that height will be prongage used to hold the stone in. I think it''s lovely!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 2:25:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think it looks beautiful, and not too high. Remember, some of that height will be prongage used to hold the stone in. I think it''s lovely!

~~Agreed!!!! The ring is going to be gorgeous...
30.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is probably not a good example because our styles are sooo different. But I happen to have before (wax) and after (fnished ring) pictures side by side.

Maybe if others with a similar style to your ring could post their before and after pictures it would give you some idea of how the finished product differs from the wax.

I know we have a fair amount of custom rings here, maybe they'll have some comparison pictures handy and can post.

SuzyQzBeforeandafter.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all for the input.

SuzyQZ, thanks so much for the side-by-side. It really does look like having the stone sit down between the prongs, instead of balancing on top like with the wax, makes a big difference in the overall size. Everything does look smaller in the finished ring -- even the scooped-out part under the stones looks shallower. I trust the jeweler -- she took my vague ideas and some elements and turned them into something that looks balanced and graceful and almost growing, which is exactly what I wanted. She seems to have a very good sense of proportion, so I think it will be fine when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results