shape
carat
color
clarity

Here are pictures of my 2 carat blue fluorescent ER...nervous about the blue!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bradford

Rough_Rock

I posted below about advice on my H/I colored stone with a good amount of fluorescence in it....turns deep blue/lavender in the sunlight and i just dont know how my finace would react....so wierd, i had to take pictures and compare UV light to non UV light to show others and get their opinions.....thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!

/members.aol.com/justsals/white3.jpg"/>

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What is a "good" amount of flourescence? I''m assuming strong blue? That looks very blue to me. It also looks a tad cloudy in one of the pix (I didn''t look at all of them)...I, personally, wouldn''t go for that stone.
7.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I wouldn''t go for that stone either. I''d prefer to get a smaller stone with no fluor. But that is just me.

bradford

Rough_Rock

unfortunately, none of the uploads worked, nor the html, but you can cut and paste in your browser.....

i feel somewhat relieved to hear you tell me to pass on it, only because it looks so perfect in all lighting, except for the very strong blue/lavender in the sunlight......pictures were a tad blury, so it added to the appearance of milky or cloudy, but didnt seem it in person

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I can''t tell from the pictures, but it just looks milky. I know you said it really isn''t in person, but those pictures aren''t wowing me. Too bad, because I know there are plenty of people who would love that look of blue in a diamond.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Ultimately, Bradford, the decision is up to you. However, you do seem conflicted about it. When I feel doubt in the pit of my stomach. I listen to my gut.

diamond_d

Rough_Rock

What strength of Blue flourescence is that stone?

"Strong Blue"

Thanks...

Racer811

Rough_Rock
Wow!! That''s crazy how blue that is!! I have little diamond experience, but I''ve never even imagined anything that weird. Too bad that fluorescence is deemed "bad" cuz I think it''s kinda cool!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also: This is a huge decision, and I''ve learned the hard way that when I''m buying something I''m supposed to love going with logic instead of my heart is almost always a mistake.

bradford

Rough_Rock

the ring is listed as medium blue fluorescence as i was told....it is crazy how bluelavender it gets in sunlight, as soon as the sun is taken away, it is just as white as can be....i also compared this to my sisters 4.5 carat "D" colored tiffany ring, and mine is very very close under most lighting, and always has much more brilliance and sparkle to it....

and you are right, it is so difficult because, money aside, it is a piece of you that she is wearing on her finger....it represents you and your commitment, and you were the one that chose that particular one.....i have always liked to give her something "different" that not everybody has, but when it turns blue in the sunlight, it almost looks like a damn tanzanite......

maybe if i am not ultimately comfortable with it, i should choose another stone.....

thanks for the help

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock

Hi bradford-

I don''t think I can give you an unbiased opinion, because personally, I LOVE blue fluor, and I love how that stone turns lavender/blue/cornflower in the sunlight. However, I can''t say whether your girl will like it or not. That''s a huge rock, and a lovely setting too... Do you have specs on the cut, like crown and pavilion angles, and table and total depth percentages? Have you looked at it thru an IdealScope?

bradford

Rough_Rock
i dont have the complete specs for this reason.....i am purchasing this from a cousin of my fiance....he has known her forever and is family....he is giving me HIS cost, as he is a diamond broker....since there is zero profit there, he wanted me to ultimately pick one out based on overall appearance, and not pay so much attention to the specs.....it is so great looking 99% of the time, but i twinge when i see the coloring in the sunlight.....i looked at it thru a loupe 10x and could not see any inclusions......just so hard to pick, when i know she will love anything i give her anyway.....i am a wreck over here....

amyi

Rough_Rock

Personally, I love the color blue and so I think that is really cool that it turns blue in the sun. So I just thought you could take into consideration if your girlfriend even likes the color blue.

And I''m sure you are right that she will love whatever you get her.

Good luck!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock

I think its one step past Strong Blue . I would call it an overblue.

The Iceman

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

Strange isn''t it, that we would pay thousands for a blue diamond, but shy away from one that changes colour from white to blue..........other colour change stones are equally expensive, but not a colour change diamond, which in a sense is what this is.

I''m not saying that you should buy this diamond, just voicing my thoughts.

26.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I''d suggest that if you are a wreck over it that you get another stone
7.gif

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I really think you should keep looking, and let this one go. She will be in the sun a lot in her life -- if the sight of it in that light bothers you, why sign on to be bothered by something for the rest of your life?

I had a stone that I loved in some lights, and did not care for in other lights. I sent it back, and have not thought twice about it.

Hold out for one that you are 100% excited about, and one that you are certain she will love, in every light. There are millions of diamonds out there. There is zero reason to settle for one you have second guessed this much...

Just my opinion. Good luck to you!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

CC wrote "Hold out for one that you are 100% excited about, and one that you are certain she will love, in every light. There are millions of diamonds out there. There is zero reason to settle for one you have second guessed this much..."

AMEN sister! For every stone I thought I "had" to have, another, better one has come around. I am SO glad I didn''t settle. I am thrilled with my new pretty...For this kind of money- it has to look good...in every light! :)

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
You know even in the indoor lighting the stone looks a little cloudy. I think I would keep looking.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is crazy blue! I personally love it (as long as it''s not milky, and it''s hard to tell from your pics) but you should of course get what you think your girlfriend will love, and something you will always love seeing on her finger.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, i love it; it''s like having a color-change diamond, sort of. I think it''s very cool, as long as it doesn''t look milky or cloudy. Of course what matters most is that your fiancee loves it. Wouldn''t you be able to return the stone if she hates it though? If you''re buying from a family members, seems like it should be pretty safe to assume he''d take it back.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i think its awesome----------it makes it one of kind! hey its not like it turns an ugly color its gorgeous....................

bradford

Rough_Rock

i wish the pictures had come out better, but unfortunately, the camera didnt focus very well and causes the stone to look much more cloudy when if fact it is surprisingly clear......again, i have compared it to my sisters 4.5c tiffany ring, and it is very similar color and quality in normal lighting, and so very sparkly.....

and yes, i can return it no questions asked, even if i gave it to her and she didnt like it, BUT she would never give it back simply for the reason that i picked it out, and i am just having a hard time making a decision on it.....

of course people that dont like its appearance would not pay a premium for this stone, but you never buy a diamond for an engagement ring with the intention of selling it in the future either......

funny sidenote......i went to blueman group tonight and wore my watch with a diamond bezel....it was the strangest thing to notice that of the approx 60 diamonds, one was extremely fluorescent during the blacklight part of the show, and a few others were slightly fluorescent, and then others were not fluorescent at all.....

oh well, its good to know there are support groups for either decision i would make!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fluorescene is neither good nor bad... sounds cool, some people are afraid to find out what it is.

But there is one detail that feals weird here: you are describing a diamond with very strong fluorescence. Why did they tell you this is "medium" ? Are you sure the rest of the stats are in place ? GIA ? Anything ?

Either you end up keeping the stone or not, the strong fluo is usually reason for some discount. If this diamond comes at a really good price, maybe you would need to reconsider what a "good price" is.

20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you tell your friends this is a fancy light blue diamond ? Looking at the pic below, I''d believe it too!

9.gif

blue3.jpg

bradford

Rough_Rock

well, i could tell anybody anything i wanted and say it was a fancy blue diamond or a very rare chameleon diamond, but i would hate to be a "poser"......i do not have the certificate, as i am not bound to the ring and quite honestly, did not care about the stats for the exact reason the seller gave to me.....i am paying "his" cost for the diamond.....he will make zero from the sale, other than knowing he helped his cousing out and he is best friends with her father.....not worried about stats.....as he said, go based on how it looks to ME, as it is not an investment, it is a piece of you she wears on her finger....it will not be resold "hopefully"......and for the record, he is cost was $7300 for the ring, and it is of the highest quality cut possible.....i have never seen so much sparkle from a diamond before.......

P.S. how did you get my picture to attach finally?.....i know HTML and could not get any of my pictures to "preview" no matter what i did.....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

So you are trusting the seller of the stone that it is 'ideal'??? Brave man!!! :) Can I ask what the color and clarity are?

I think it's pretty...but I don't want a glowing diamond. I just don't. If I want blue, I'd buy a gemstone. BUT, it's how you think she will feel about it. Will she care when she's outside or in the office and her stone is blue and people ask her why that is? Or in a club and it's glowing? If you think she'd be ok with it, then there is your answer.

bradford

Rough_Rock
yes, i am trusting him....he keeps telling me to get something smaller and spend as little as possible....he has been in the diamond business for 30 years, and used to be have the business with my finace''s father....the specs are VS1 and "I" color......

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

Personally, I would not want to wear a diamond that looked so strange, every day of my life, for the rest of my life. It''s very pretty as a novelty but frankly just a little too wierd for an engagement ring IMO. I just wouldn''t want to deal with all of the questions from people when I wore the ring outside or stepped in front of a window inside. But you know your fiancee. If she''s the type of girl that likes fun and funky and wouldn''t mind the glow then go for it, if she''s more conservative and wants more of a traditional type diamond then I''d keep looking.

Just my .02

bradford

Rough_Rock
thanks for all of the help.....i will be looking at a few more on monday....enough with driving myself crazy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results