shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with violet stone purchase

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
And not to beat a dead horse but the pics he sent with the outdoor light, matched almost exact to the GIA report so I wasn't so much worried about the stone not being the right stone, but now that it was brought up worried about shipping although as I think about it I have purchased a few Chanel bags from Japanese sellers no problem, I actually have done quite a few international transactions; since its been put out there it will be just my luck something goes awry.......

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is darker than the description....... : /

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents worth.
I’ve been buying Internationally on eBay and online over 12 years. I’ve bought from Indian ebay sellers a number of times, including higher value items ie thousands of dollars. I’ve never had a problem personally. In fact, jewellery pieces, even bead necklaces and loose beads arrive beautifully packed and presented.
I use PayPal, I stick with reputable vendors and things have gone smoothly. In relation to returns, check first whether you can send tracked /registered mail to India. If yes, then you can fulfill the return requirement of eBay and / or PayPal.
Most Indian sellers value the Western business they do, it’s an important source of income to them and they wish to retain good business relationships.
True, there are bad sellers, scammers even, but they can be just down the street from you as much as internationally.
My rule is I check that I can do tracked mail back to the seller (I’m in Australia btw) and if yes, and they have responded to my emails etc, I proceed.
Do whatever YOU feel comfortable with, everyone has a different level of comfort and concern.

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
yes, and Marc was sooo nice and helpful might I add. I think its a bit too dark, scared in some light it may look almost black

The fact that it gets super dark it has only a couple of flashes of lights in STUDIO lighting would make me not want it. The other one you love is so lively, and this just isn’t.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick to light and medium tones for grapey purple hues.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents worth.
I’ve been buying Internationally on eBay and online over 12 years. I’ve bought from Indian ebay sellers a number of times, including higher value items ie thousands of dollars. I’ve never had a problem personally. In fact, jewellery pieces, even bead necklaces and loose beads arrive beautifully packed and presented.
I use PayPal, I stick with reputable vendors and things have gone smoothly. In relation to returns, check first whether you can send tracked /registered mail to India. If yes, then you can fulfill the return requirement of eBay and / or PayPal.
Most Indian sellers value the Western business they do, it’s an important source of income to them and they wish to retain good business relationships.
True, there are bad sellers, scammers even, but they can be just down the street from you as much as internationally.
My rule is I check that I can do tracked mail back to the seller (I’m in Australia btw) and if yes, and they have responded to my emails etc, I proceed.
Do whatever YOU feel comfortable with, everyone has a different level of comfort and concern.
I do definitely agree with this, I really appreciate your feedback.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
The fact that it gets super dark it has only a couple of flashes of lights in STUDIO lighting would make me not want it. The other one you love is so lively, and this just isn’t.
Yes, I would not like that stone at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My concern isn't the shipping from the vendor to you, but you shipping it back to the vendor. There is usually no insurance once it leaves US soil for international waters unless you self insure or somehow purchase temporary insurance. Stones purchased from Asia tend to appear darker toned in the US or northern EU due to Asia being naturally blessed with strong sunlight.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
My concern isn't the shipping from the vendor to you, but you shipping it back to the vendor. There is usually no insurance once it leaves US soil for international waters unless you self insure or somehow purchase temporary insurance. Stones purchased from Asia tend to appear darker toned in the US or northern EU due to Asia being naturally blessed with strong sunlight.
This is very valid, I appreciate your clarity.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Has anyone purchased from Kimberly collins colored gems? I ask b/c I reached out to her on facebook about two sapphires she had she viewed the message but never responded. Probably a sign to not purchase if she already isn't responding

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the World of Spinel's...........and the picture taking dilemna's!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2150.JPG Got the Jeff White spinel, this is such a gorgeous spinel, I'll take some pics in the car too, and at home, the color changes everywhere. At my work office it gives off pink but the pic shows violet?

OK it looks great! You got lucky! Some people spend months and years looking for one and have no success. It's not often that you come across a spinel with this color, and it's a great size too. And you found yours basically right away! I was actually surprised it didn't sell the moment he sent out the newsletter. Hmmm. maybe because Jeff did not cut it himself. It probably looks pink in your office if you have fluorescent lighting there right? The color probably looks most intense when it shifts pink. It looks 100 times better than the sapphires and the other ones posted here.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
OK it looks great! You got lucky! Some people spend months and years looking for one and have no success. It's not often that you come across a spinel with this color, and it's a great size too. And you found yours basically right away! I was actually surprised it didn't sell the moment he sent out the newsletter. Hmmm. maybe because Jeff did not cut it himself. It probably looks pink in your office if you have fluorescent lighting there right? The color probably looks most intense when it shifts pink. It looks 100 times better than the sapphires and the other ones posted here.
i really like this spinel, I have to be honest the fact that it turns pink somewhat is a bit annoying but in the car, outside, it is gorgeous. I did find another sapphire from Jeff Davies its smaller than I want but Im taking the chance b/c I think Its a great color ,thoughts? more pics of the spinel soon, its so darn hard getting a pic true to life

https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/dd11539-sapphire-1-98ct/

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the World of Spinel's...........and the picture taking dilemna's!
Tell me about it, I will probably take 50 before getting one that shows you guys what I see.....

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here's one of my all time favorite violet stones on this forum. I don't know if it's what you like in terms of a hue, but the pics show how these spinels color change, just for reference.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-ct-lm-inspired-ew-double-halo.193725/
That is very pretty when it is purple, just gorgeous!!! I don't want any blue, I would rather have pinkish, but any blue or gray I don't care for unless its a deep blue. Colored stone hunting is sooo hard b/c everyone has a different idea of perfection :)

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2156.JPG More pics, not the best but I'll keep trying.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very pretty when it is purple, just gorgeous!!! I don't want any blue, I would rather have pinkish, but any blue or gray I don't care for unless its a deep blue. Colored stone hunting is sooo hard b/c everyone has a different idea of perfection :)

I think you would be better off searching for lavender spinels than violet. Violet is a darker color that often shifts to blue, which you do not prefer, but lavender is lighter and shifts more to pink. Example of such a spinel that is showing pink and lavender at the same time. It color shifts to pure lavender in some lighting though.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...7/457042-14b1ffc2cbfb30a657137b08fb371d63.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2154.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_2156.JPG More pics, not the best but I'll keep trying.
Are there any vendor pics? If so, are they accurate for color? These photos are not probably showing the gem to its best advantage.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think you would be better off searching for lavender spinels than violet. Violet is a darker color that often shifts to blue, which you do not prefer, but lavender is lighter and shifts more to pink. Example of such a spinel that is showing pink and lavender at the same time. It color shifts to pure lavender in some lighting though.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...7/457042-14b1ffc2cbfb30a657137b08fb371d63.jpg
Thank you, this is good to know. I love the spinel I got from Jeff White, I think I am just stuck on a sapphire vs spinel for my forever stone....

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Are there any vendor pics? If so, are they accurate for color? These photos are not probably showing the gem to its best advantage.
vendor pic is post #45, the stone is from Jeff White. I think it looks better in person, hard to capture .

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vendor pic is post #45, the stone is from Jeff White. I think it looks better in person, hard to capture .
Unfortunately, I don't see post numbers on my iPhone. I did find the vendor picture though, but I wish he would have showed a color shift photo. I do like the tone though, it's just hard for me to comment on the hue since I cannot see the full color shift.

Last edited:

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow - what a gorgeous stone! Great purchase - finding bright spinels of this size (especially at such a good price) is difficult. I'm more than a little jealous :)) . Congratulations!

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I don't see post numbers on my iPhone. I did find the vendor picture though, but I wish he would have showed a color shift photo. I do like the tone though, it's just hard for me to comment on the hue since I cannot see the full color shift.
Its a great tone, shines like mad, very vibrant. I enjoyed purchasing from Jeff White more than any other vendor, he is superb.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow - what a gorgeous stone! Great purchase - finding bright spinels of this size (especially at such a good price) is difficult. I'm more than a little jealous :)) . Congratulations!
Thank you I feel fortunate. Thanks again for everyone's help in this matter (Thanks violetphoenix!!!), now just need to find the perfect setting

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2150.JPG Got the Jeff White spinel, this is such a gorgeous spinel, I'll take some pics in the car too, and at home, the color changes everywhere. At my work office it gives off pink but the pic shows violet?
I LOVE that stone! I saw it in his Gem Scoop, and thought it was gorgeous, but decided to go for the tourmaline and pink spinel. I'm so happy you got it!

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
would using fedex international priority be the option shipping to India? $115, but worth it to recoup several thousand

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results