carat
color
clarity

Help with violet stone purchase

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I know this question can be subjective but I am very interested in purchasing the stone attached. it is a violet stone 10.29x10.17x8.27 with IGI certificate (said to be non heated). Do you see anything wrong with the cut, is this color stone less valuable, for this size is 3-4k reasonable? Thank you in advance.
Indoor Lighting (lilac stone).jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I do see some gray to my eyes but it's not terrible. That color is hard to find, in my opinion. What's the ct wt? It has a nice face-up size and it's quite deep. For the price, I say you should 100% see it in person. Then when you have it, see how it behaves in different lighting conditions. I would also 100% make the purchase contingent on an AGL Gem Brief report, confirming no heat.

Good luck and keep us posted!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is this your photo? What is the weight? The cut is beautiful. The depth also enhances the intensity of the colour of the stone. Have you see this stone? Any side view of the stone? Any inclusions? colour shift? For this price I don't think it is expensive but you can bargain. The round shape is very hard to find.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Is this your photo? What is the weight? The cut is beautiful. The depth also enhances the intensity of the colour of the stone. Have you see this stone? Any side view of the stone? Any inclusions? colour shift? For this price I don't think it is expensive but you can bargain. The round shape is very hard to find.
this is the photo from the vendor, I asked for it in hand inside, and outside. 7.08 cts, I have not seen it in person, its returnable to India, small colorshift. 3.5k is the negotiated amount, from over 5k

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
I do see some gray to my eyes but it's not terrible. That color is hard to find, in my opinion. What's the ct wt? It has a nice face-up size and it's quite deep. For the price, I say you should 100% see it in person. Then when you have it, see how it behaves in different lighting conditions. I would also 100% make the purchase contingent on an AGL Gem Brief report, confirming no heat.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Thank you! I am nervous but I love this stone from the pic alone, just trying to get some experienced advice!

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it’s gorgeous and if it is really unheated and over 7 carats, I think it’s a pretty good deal. But you should definitely see it in all lighting, because colored stones can certainly change quite a bit.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I will probably move forward in purchasing tomorrow. Here is one more picture "outside". Interesting its outside must be in the shade.....thoughts? Outdoor Lighting.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is lovely. I think I would ask about this inclusion. Is it a feather or fracture? And I agree with Sparklie that the sale should be contingent on an AGL lab report.

lilac1.png
lilac.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its the same stone and seller I think it is, I notice that the IGI lab report shows a markedly different color, and refers to it as blue. That would be a big red flag for me.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
The color is lovely. I think I would ask about this inclusion. Is it a feather or fracture? And I agree with Sparklie that the sale should be contingent on an AGL lab report.
wow i didn't see that inclusion and barely see it now. you have a great eye, i THINK I have a change of heart now. Thank you!
lilac1.png
lilac.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is possible that it is a facet reflection vs. feather/fracture so do not let my question be the determining factor. Ask and also get a picture of the gem face down. It's a good idea to enlarge the picture on your computer and also to shrink it down to roughly the stone's size in real life to get a better perspective.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color in the handshot picture is a rare color to find in sapphires. Not necessarily the most desired or esteemed, but if you are looking for that specific color, it's hard to come by. It would be a stunner if it was as pictured.....but that's a very big if. I would make sure there are no catches. A 10mm (near) round sapphire unheated, of that color, at 3.5k, with no significant flaws, would be a real steal.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
The color in the handshot picture is a rare color to find in sapphires. Not necessarily the most desired or esteemed, but if you are looking for that specific color, it's hard to come by. It would be a stunner if it was as pictured.....but that's a very big if. I would make sure there are no catches. A 10mm (near) round sapphire unheated, of that color, at 3.5k, with no significant flaws, would be a real steal.
thank you

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a feeling that the sapphire is actually a lot grayer in reality. Like by a lot.

S

SparkliesLuver

If @minousbijoux is correct, then I'd think long and hard about ordering it. Blue is very different from what we're seeing above. I'd ask the vendor about that and see what they say.

The "outdoor" picture is pretty concerning - the stone kind of dies. :( My best friend's engagement ring is very close to the first picture and hers is stunning outdoors. Vendor photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/9J0I3dHqi3/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject. Another photo after it got a little tweak: https://www.instagram.com/p/_GQ4fHHqpR/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject

When I first saw your post, it made me think of this one from M&W (although it's now sold): https://www.instagram.com/p/BVSzIVkDVe2/?taken-by=mayerandwatt

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I know this question can be subjective but I am very interested in purchasing the stone attached. it is a violet stone 10.29x10.17x8.27 with IGI certificate (said to be non heated). Do you see anything wrong with the cut, is this color stone less valuable, for this size is 3-4k reasonable? Thank you in advance.
Indoor Lighting (lilac stone).jpg

Love this picture and I'm very biased towards that tone and hue. My favorite gems are that color. However, it kind of "dies" outdoors. If it stood the color of the indoor photo, I think it's a fair price for an untreated violet sapphire.

This photo reminds me of Chrono's gorgeous Luc Yen spinel, one of my all time favorite gems on this forum.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
If @minousbijoux is correct, then I'd think long and hard about ordering it. Blue is very different from what we're seeing above. I'd ask the vendor about that and see what they say.

The "outdoor" picture is pretty concerning - the stone kind of dies. :( My best friend's engagement ring is very close to the first picture and hers is stunning outdoors. Vendor photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/9J0I3dHqi3/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject. Another photo after it got a little tweak: https://www.instagram.com/p/_GQ4fHHqpR/?taken-by=thegemstoneproject

When I first saw your post, it made me think of this one from M&W (although it's now sold): https://www.instagram.com/p/BVSzIVkDVe2/?taken-by=mayerandwatt
I totally agree. I don't want a blue stone, I want a purple and it has to be the purple in the first pic. the outdoor pic is what is stopping me from purchasing. Your friends stone is beautiful!

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
Love this picture and I'm very biased towards that tone and hue. My favorite gems are that color. However, it kind of "dies" outdoors. If it stood the color of the indoor photo, I think it's a fair price for an untreated violet sapphire.

This photo reminds me of Chrono's gorgeous Luc Yen spinel, one of my all time favorite gems on this forum.
This is exactly what I want!

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
2F402EFF-A67E-4648-88CD-E42BD590085E.jpeg 243DAAAC-80A9-4D5D-96EC-D6B837D72CAF.jpeg

I will never forget this Spinel that belongs to petit-bijou. It’s one from Pricescope that has always stayed in my mind because of how gorgeous it is.

S

SparkliesLuver

I totally agree. I don't want a blue stone, I want a purple and it has to be the purple in the first pic. the outdoor pic is what is stopping me from purchasing. Your friends stone is beautiful!

Then I think you need to ask the vendor some specific questions about the hue. And if it's one of those stones that you will always wonder about, then order it and see (providing they have a solid return policy) and they agree with making the purchase (if you love it) contingent on an AGL report.

purple-sapphire

Rough_Rock
Premium
2F402EFF-A67E-4648-88CD-E42BD590085E.jpeg 243DAAAC-80A9-4D5D-96EC-D6B837D72CAF.jpeg

I will never forget this Spinel that belongs to petit-bijou. It’s one from Pricescope that has always stayed in my mind because of how gorgeous it is.
This is nice, it really looks similar to the outdoor pic of the one I posted, from my untrained eye of course. I asked the seller questions and have not heard back so its probably for the best. I need to go to the drawing board and find other stones in that color family.

S

SparkliesLuver

Honestly, I'd contact OTL and ask if she'd consider parting with any of her lilac/violet/lavender spinels. I know she has several, including one over 4cts. Worth an email! Here's her Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CDGEMSTONE/items

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be sapphire or are you open to other stones? And what are your goals for shape and dimension?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results