shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Three Stone DK CADs PLEASE!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think that a scroll design coming off from the main center basket to each side would look awesome and it would get rid of the extra prongs and the mask affect..

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! Forgive me, but I’m having a hard time visualizing the scrolls. I’m trying to picture it in my head without much luck. Lol! I’ve been googling pretty much all evening and I cannot find anything that stands out to me. I wonder if I just deleted the leaves altogether and left the side baskets kinda plain? Or maybe did the same design that’s on the center basket? I guess I need to start doodling again. o_O

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:geek2:David can make it look magical with the CAD program.. :confused2:I cannot do it any justice! But hey you get the idea..:P2 Hope that helps! keep us posted with what you finally decide on.. LOL we must have posted at the same time, sorry I missed your post!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
:geek2:David can make it look magical with the CAD program.. :confused2:I cannot do it any justice! But hey you get the idea..:P2 Hope that helps! keep us posted with what you finally decide on.. LOL we must have posted at the same time, sorry I missed your post!

I think as I was typing your message came through. Haha! I’m really undecided on how it should look, aside from the center, which I really love. I’m also self proclaimed OCD and symmetry and cohesiveness are really important to me, otherwise it’ll drive me bonkers. Something as small as the bottom of that middle loop being rounded and not pointed to match the leaves was driving me batty. I’ll have to ask David what he suggests but that “mask” isn’t gonna work. Im also gonna sketch some more while binging Netflix and maybe something will magically come to me tonight in a dream or something. :loopy:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I think as I was typing your message came through. Haha! I’m really undecided on how it should look, aside from the center, which I really love. I’m also self proclaimed OCD and symmetry and cohesiveness are really important to me, otherwise it’ll drive me bonkers. Something as small as the bottom of that middle loop being rounded and not pointed to match the leaves was driving me batty. I’ll have to ask David what he suggests but that “mask” isn’t gonna work. Im also gonna sketch some more while binging Netflix and maybe something will magically come to me tonight in a dream or something. :loopy:

Okay hun, no problem have fun with it and you are great at drawing so I am sure that you can come up with something that will make you happy. You want it to be one of a kind anyway made just to your liking so take your time with it and enjoy the process. David will and can offer alot more as a professional than I ever will be able to, haha!:P2 We are all looking forward to your design..:wavey:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! You read my mind! Lol!!!
I really like the DK ring that was posted and it would resolve some of the issues you are having with this floral/leaf inspired ring and it looking like mask or antlers. I don’t know if this idea would make any sense but you could do the center similar to the posted ring but make it 6 prongs and just on the side stones, rather than them going up straight from the leaves into the 4 prongs, you could criss cross the leaves and have the interior ones meet the stone with prongs on each side but the outside prong could be single and meet at a point. I have seen a few times where a round was put in a 3 prong setting without making it look like a pear. I can’t remember what you were calling it put it is essentially like a chevron or something similar. This would give you symmetry on both sides and allow you to have the 6 prongs in the center. Does this make any sense?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the DK ring that was posted and it would resolve some of the issues you are having with this floral/leaf inspired ring and it looking like mask or antlers. I don’t know if this idea would make any sense but you could do the center similar to the posted ring but make it 6 prongs and just on the side stones, rather than them going up straight from the leaves into the 4 prongs, you could criss cross the leaves and have the interior ones meet the stone with prongs on each side but the outside prong could be single and meet at a point. I have seen a few times where a round was put in a 3 prong setting without making it look like a pear. I can’t remember what you were calling it put it is essentially like a chevron or something similar. This would give you symmetry on both sides and allow you to have the 6 prongs in the center. Does this make any sense?

Kinda sorta? Lol. I’m very visual, so if you want to mark up my CADs you have my blessing! :lol: I emailed David last night and told him something had to change with the mask and that’s all I saw now when I looked at it. I thanked him because he did EXACTLY what I told him, but it’s just not right. Maybe I can just do the same design on all 3 baskets too. I asked him for suggestions so I’ll wait to hear back before I throw more ideas at him. I’m also having the wedding band bumped down to 1.5mm stones because the 2mm took the band width too wide at 3.1mm.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Kinda sorta? Lol. I’m very visual, so if you want to mark up my CADs you have my blessing! :lol: I emailed David last night and told him something had to change with the mask and that’s all I saw now when I looked at it. I thanked him because he did EXACTLY what I told him, but it’s just not right. Maybe I can just do the same design on all 3 baskets too. I asked him for suggestions so I’ll wait to hear back before I throw more ideas at him. I’m also having the wedding band bumped down to 1.5mm stones because the 2mm took the band width too wide at 3.1mm.

Did you do any 'doodling' last night? :mrgreen2:LOL

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Did you do any 'doodling' last night? :mrgreen2:LOL

Well, I tried. Then I sat on instagram for what seemed like hours. Then google. And I think I’m overwhelmed. Lol

I’m very seriously considering having him just do the same design on all 3 baskets. I’m a bit insane when it comes to symmetry so it makes sense. One of my inspiration rings was the CVB Maria Ring, and that’s how it’s designed, it would just be a slightly more organic basket instead of Victorian. I found this random Instagram video that I liked, and shows how the repeating design would look with cathedral shoulders.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGFdPDBQjg/?hl=en

What do you think? I didn’t have any dreams that revealed the design, unfortunately. :lol:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! Also, I was looking at the 2 CADs side by side and where I had him pull the basket in to the stone, it completely collapsed the detail instead of it being open and airy. There has to be a way to keep it like the first CAD, but not be able to see the prongs from a top view.

A lot of people have said the side stones are too small for 6 prongs, but my inspiration Ring has similar dimensions, only slightly bigger, and it looks great with 6 on all the stones. So I’m reconsidering that as well. I hate being so back and forth and wishy washy!

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I tried. Then I sat on instagram for what seemed like hours. Then google. And I think I’m overwhelmed. Lol

I’m very seriously considering having him just do the same design on all 3 baskets. I’m a bit insane when it comes to symmetry so it makes sense. One of my inspiration rings was the CVB Maria Ring, and that’s how it’s designed, it would just be a slightly more organic basket instead of Victorian. I found this random Instagram video that I liked, and shows how the repeating design would look with cathedral shoulders.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGFdPDBQjg/?hl=en

What do you think? I didn’t have any dreams that revealed the design, unfortunately. :lol:

On this Instagram ring. I like it. It is very pretty and the cathedral shoulders blend so well with the gallery of the ring at the top. The only thing that I would do different to that ring is to add a "peek a boo" stone right in the center.;)2 Like this, lol..:mrgreen2:
Instagram Ring.jpg
If someone wanted to take it a step farther they could add one to the smaller side stones on each side as well. But hey I like a lot of bling and what everyone else likes is not the same, lol..:lol-2:

Your design will all boil down to what your personal preferences are and what you are looking for in the vision of the ring and the final result that you can be happy with. I know that you already know all that but since this is going to be a ring that you are planning on keeping for a very long time and upgrading to diamonds from Moissanite at some point in the future I would definitely take my time with the design of it. It can be very overwhelming looking online at so many designs and elements. :pray:Try not to go into overload, haha..

Forgive me for asking but have you already posted a pic of your inspiration ring?:?: I would love to see it if you feel comfortable posting it..If not that's okay and I completely understand.;)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
4AE49AD9-0AA9-485F-A888-49BEEA9BC32A.jpeg 3550E0B9-AC10-4A34-86CF-15A1751681A0.jpeg 6E21716D-F1D0-43DA-8CB3-9730CBDA545F.jpeg D3BC633E-1DB5-43D9-86EA-860EDD6F7B2D.jpeg 779D9361-EF8B-425B-96C4-9EBBC7CB1700.jpeg
On this Instagram ring. I like it. It is very pretty and the cathedral shoulders blend so well with the gallery of the ring at the top. The only thing that I would do different to that ring is to add a "peek a boo" stone right in the center.;)2 Like this, lol..:mrgreen2:
Instagram Ring.jpg
If someone wanted to take it a step farther they could add one to the smaller side stones on each side as well. But hey I like a lot of bling and what everyone else likes is not the same, lol..:lol-2:

Your design will all boil down to what your personal preferences are and what you are looking for in the vision of the ring and the final result that you can be happy with. I know that you already know all that but since this is going to be a ring that you are planning on keeping for a very long time and upgrading to diamonds from Moissanite at some point in the future I would definitely take my time with the design of it. It can be very overwhelming looking online at so many designs and elements. :pray:Try not to go into overload, haha..

Forgive me for asking but have you already posted a pic of your inspiration ring?:?: I would love to see it if you feel comfortable posting it..If not that's okay and I completely understand.;)2

Oh my gosh, I can’t believe I didn’t include my inspo pics! Geez...

A lot of what I’ve found that I like are solitaires, and my biggest issue is translating that into a 3 stone style.

Here they are!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to add this one that I found on Instagram too! I like how the center is 6 prong and the sides are 4 NSEW
C97191DC-4AA4-4CAE-9F12-7091A36F2B5C.jpeg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to add this one that I found on Instagram too! I like how the center is 6 prong and the sides are 4 NSEW
C97191DC-4AA4-4CAE-9F12-7091A36F2B5C.jpeg

I would have to say that David did a great job of blending a little bit of all of those elements into your CAD.:clap: Those are all beautiful and I love the claw prongs whether you have all 6 prongs or 6 and 4 it will look great! I would say go back and look at the side by side comparison that @molecule did for you on the first page of this thread. I had to look at it again and when I realized what she was showing as for the change in the leaf elements on the side gallery, it did look so much better. Look at the photo where she is showing the ring with the profile view and the difference in the way that the leaves are extended.. Of course doing it that way wouldnt give you 6 prongs there on the side stones but it does seem to mellow out the Mardi Gras mask look and make things look way more "fluid" or blended if that makes sense...;-)

3stoneflower.JPG

I think that it is going to look so much better once you see it made. Sometimes it is hard to get past the harsh look of a CAD..;)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to say that David did a great job of blending a little bit of all of those elements into your CAD.:clap: Those are all beautiful and I love the claw prongs whether you have all 6 prongs or 6 and 4 it will look great! I would say go back and look at the side by side comparison that @molecule did for you on the first page of this thread. I had to look at it again and when I realized what she was showing as for the change in the leaf elements on the side gallery, it did look so much better. Look at the photo where she is showing the ring with the profile view and the difference in the way that the leaves are extended.. Of course doing it that way wouldnt give you 6 prongs there on the side stones but it does seem to mellow out the Mardi Gras mask look and make things look way more "fluid" or blended if that makes sense...;-)

3stoneflower.JPG

I think that it is going to look so much better once you see it made. Sometimes it is hard to get past the harsh look of a CAD..;)2

It really does look a lot better with the modifications she made. And yes! I told David I was so sorry, and he had done EXACTLY what I told him but it just wasn’t what I thought it would be. Sometimes you don’t realize things until the CADs are modified unfortunately. I feel like I’m wasting his time with my shenanigans but I’m sure he deals with it all the time. I’m anxious to see if he has any design recommendations we haven’t thought of. I feel like I’m trying to reinvent the wheel here! :P2

The more I look at my inspo pics, the more I love the look of the same design on all 3 baskets. I tried to figure out how to edit it on my computer so I can see how it would look without much success. That’s why I’ve been drawing. I’m old school. :cool2: If I kept 6 prongs on the side stones, I wouldn’t have to taper the band either, which I prefer.

What if the side baskets were simple and the middle one was ornate? Hmmm....I wonder how that would look. Back to google I guess! o_O

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
It really does look a lot better with the modifications she made. And yes! I told David I was so sorry, and he had done EXACTLY what I told him but it just wasn’t what I thought it would be. Sometimes you don’t realize things until the CADs are modified unfortunately. I feel like I’m wasting his time with my shenanigans but I’m sure he deals with it all the time. I’m anxious to see if he has any design recommendations we haven’t thought of. I feel like I’m trying to reinvent the wheel here! :P2

The more I look at my inspo pics, the more I love the look of the same design on all 3 baskets. I tried to figure out how to edit it on my computer so I can see how it would look without much success. That’s why I’ve been drawing. I’m old school. :cool2: If I kept 6 prongs on the side stones, I wouldn’t have to taper the band either, which I prefer.

What if the side baskets were simple and the middle one was ornate? Hmmm....I wonder how that would look. Back to google I guess! o_O

I think that would look just fine.;)2 Side galleries are just an area that really doesn't get looked at too much in my opinion as most of the time you see the ring from the top anyway. Again this is just my humble opinion..:saint:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think that would look just fine.;)2 Side galleries are just an area that really doesn't get looked at too much in my opinion as most of the time you see the ring from the top anyway. Again this is just my humble opinion..:saint:

I agree! Only I’ll see it, but I’m obviously crazy so..........

What about something like this? It’s late and I’m not being very detailed, but you get the idea. :snore: I was also concerned about letting light in the side stones since they’re so small, and this is what I came up with while my husband worked on his truck. Haha!
image.jpg

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: By golly I think that we have a WINNER!!:clap: That looks awesome Michelle!! I absolutely love how all those curves ebb and flow from one side to the other!:love: Good job! Now most importantly, what are your thoughts and impressions on your creation??

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: By golly I think that we have a WINNER!!:clap: That looks awesome Michelle!! I absolutely love how all those curves ebb and flow from one side to the other!:love: Good job! Now most importantly, what are your thoughts and impressions on your creation??

Awwwww, thank you so much!!! I do like it. It’s simple but a little flourish instead of a typical basket with the bar in between the prongs. Something I REALLY don’t like, personally. I was worried about completely blocking the stone and allowing no light in, plus those side leaves were blocking the beautiful design on the center basket! I’ll have to see it refined in CAD, but I think I’m going in the right direction. Here’s the inspiration pic I found. Plus the one above I posted (the YG three stone with the center basket I copied) has a simple side stone design, but to me it appears a bit sloppy so I had to tweak it a bit.
5E39A100-0713-46C2-B5CA-E02D6CB46AE7.jpeg 98BA581F-FEBA-41CE-83AF-3B9C7C27D5A1.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The more I stare at that 5 stone, the more I like it. :shifty: Should I just have him copy it and modify it to a 3 stone? I’m not certain I’d do the diamond accents, but it’s growing on me for sure. It’s simple and clean, which I appreciate.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I would talk to Elle at the Gemstone project as that's the original design and I'm sure she'd be able to modify it for you. She does use David's bench for her work so it's not cutting him out.

Ah, I didn’t know that! Thank you for the info.

Just curious, do you have an opinion either way about which center basket would look best? I can’t make up my mind. :doh:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
The more I stare at that 5 stone, the more I like it. :shifty: Should I just have him copy it and modify it to a 3 stone? I’m not certain I’d do the diamond accents, but it’s growing on me for sure. It’s simple and clean, which I appreciate.

I think that either one would look great with the band that you will be wearing with it. It just depends on what you want. I noticed that the 5 stone does have pear shapes on the end would you do that also or rounds? Those pear stones would poke me on the sides of my fingers and that would bother me personally.

As for the center basket, I thought that this one looked beautiful..
D3BC633E-1DB5-43D9-86EA-860EDD6F7B2D.jpeg
I think that it would go great with your modified side stone basket detail also. I think that I have to agree with you about not adding the pave diamonds to the gallery on the center stone!;)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think that either one would look great with the band that you will be wearing with it. It just depends on what you want. I noticed that the 5 stone does have pear shapes on the end would you do that also or rounds? Those pear stones would poke me on the sides of my fingers and that would bother me personally.

As for the center basket, I thought that this one looked beautiful..
D3BC633E-1DB5-43D9-86EA-860EDD6F7B2D.jpeg
I think that it would go great with your modified side stone basket detail also. I think that I have to agree with you about not adding the pave diamonds to the gallery on the center stone!;)2

I would just have it modified to a 3 stone instead of adding extra rounds on the ends. I agree pears especially would probably poke me or drive me crazy. I spent some time in “Paint” today (told you I was old school) and came up with a Frankenring. I also found a side shot of the Resilient and it sits up quite a bit higher than I initially thought. I think I’d prefer the prongs/struts or whatever they’re called to come outward from the center stone instead of inward (shown in red) or maybe even cross over like a trellis style but my fear is that may be too busy.
623FD46B-97B1-47D0-9D21-534C7D84A11D.png

22B264A0-9566-48E9-AEB6-AB17D8C8DBD5.jpeg D9E1F3A3-3518-4B91-8E8A-6D3A864B4444.jpeg

With the side stones lowered (if possible) and tucked slightly under the center stone, I think I’m onto something. :dance:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I would just have it modified to a 3 stone instead of adding extra rounds on the ends. I agree pears especially would probably poke me or drive me crazy. I spent some time in “Paint” today (told you I was old school) and came up with a Frankenring. I also found a side shot of the Resilient and it sits up quite a bit higher than I initially thought. I think I’d prefer the prongs/struts or whatever they’re called to come outward from the center stone instead of inward (shown in red) or maybe even cross over like a trellis style but my fear is that may be too busy.
623FD46B-97B1-47D0-9D21-534C7D84A11D.png

22B264A0-9566-48E9-AEB6-AB17D8C8DBD5.jpeg D9E1F3A3-3518-4B91-8E8A-6D3A864B4444.jpeg

With the side stones lowered (if possible) and tucked slightly under the center stone, I think I’m onto something. :dance:

Oh yeah, that shouldn't be any problem for DK to modify and lower for you. I agree, that side profile shot does reveal that it sits up too high for my personal liking also.. I think with it lowered that it would look fabulous! You did good!;)2

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, that shouldn't be any problem for DK to modify and lower for you. I agree, that side profile shot does reveal that it sits up too high for my personal liking also.. I think with it lowered that it would look fabulous! You did good!;)2

Awww, thanks! :love: I love it too, I just hope I still do when the CADs are revised. Haha!

On the marked up pics with the red, which do you think looks better? The original Resilient or the Frankenring? :snooty:

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, thanks! :love: I love it too, I just hope I still do when the CADs are revised. Haha!

On the marked up pics with the red, which do you think looks better? The original Resilient or the Frankenring? :snooty:

Hahaha!:lol: My vote goes to your Frankenring!:twisted: :tongue:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
d9e1f3a3-3518-4b91-8e8a-6d3a864b4444-jpeg.651427

I vote yes to every single trellis option. I do think the middle basket is too complex to really suit the rest of the design, I'd simplify it.

Something like this:
resilience.jpg
But I would talk to Amy or David and confirm that the trellis wouldn't peek out from under the side stones.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I vote yes to every single trellis option. I do think the middle basket is too complex to really suit the rest of the design, I'd simplify it.

Something like this:
resilience.jpg
But I would talk to Amy or David and confirm that the trellis wouldn't peek out from under the side stones.

I really like that! I’d thin out the center basket metal to match the sides, unless I went with the pave like the original. I also had the same concern that the middle was quite busy and then the sides appeared to be an afterthought. I saw this on IG too and wondered if it would cut down on the “clutter” since it doesn’t overlap.
863BD186-96E3-459B-A775-9616482EC382.jpeg
I feel like I’m going on so many different directions! I have got to be the most indecisive person ever. :x2

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that! I’d thin out the center basket metal to match the sides, unless I went with the pave like the original. I also had the same concern that the middle was quite busy and then the sides appeared to be an afterthought. I saw this on IG too and wondered if it would cut down on the “clutter” since it doesn’t overlap.
863BD186-96E3-459B-A775-9616482EC382.jpeg
I feel like I’m going on so many different directions! I have got to be the most indecisive person ever. :x2

I really like that basket more because it is more open than the other one which will allow for more light to enter that bigger center stone. You are correct in wanting as much light as possible to be able to enter the stones for maximum refraction and dispersion. I think one like that will definitely still match the other design on the side stones like in your FrankenRing. Especially with them lowered within the setting like you mentioned below the center basket a bit.;)2 Julia B on Etsy has a few style rings with a basket like that if you want to look at them.=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results