shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with this ring

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Any ideas on this ring ie) what kind of stone? Real or synthetic? I was told it was an amethyst but I have no idea if it is natiral or synthetic. It seems almost too perfect to be natural. It seems well cut but almost too perfect to be real if that makes sense. To my relatively novice eye it looks almost a bit costume jewelryish, but I dont know if that is due to size or quality of material.

Age of this ring? I can’t tell if it is truly old or if it is a temp setting for when you buy a stone but dont intend to leave it.

Setting? It almost seems to be made out of a wire? The craftmanship is not particularly great. No markers for what kind of gold etc, if it even is gold.

No identifying markers. Thinking of resetting it but not sure it is anything worth resetting. The ring is super super light which makes me wonder if it is real as it is a huge stone, maybe around 9 mm.

Anyone have any ideas what this is?

72DF67A1-F1BF-48F0-84BF-F5A802656C46.jpeg 9D490403-CA90-4EB3-8A47-EDC9CC59D675.jpeg D05FADC0-0947-4ED1-A0D4-7F2EB56DF0BA.jpeg

Thank yu! 8BCA36C6-C5DB-43B8-B5D5-943A9DEC9FD0.jpeg 72DF67A1-F1BF-48F0-84BF-F5A802656C46.jpeg

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! It‘s a bit too deeply perfect purple to be a natural amethyst in my opinion. However, you never know. No marks on the metal at all?

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
To me it looks like a colour change corundum. Does it look bluer standing in the shade outside in daylight, and more purple under incandescent light / lightbulbs?
They were used a lot in 60s/70s settings, and yours has that vibe.

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20200211-232151_Instagram.jpg

The stone in natural light can be anything from cornflour blue to an indigo blue. Here is a corundum ring of mine where the shift is obvious.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

It definitely is not a color changer. It is dark purple and then in sunlight a beautiful lighter (but not super light) purple.

No marks on the metal wxcept a damaged spot. It is indented so it was peobably whacked on something.

I had made a different thread on the ring here, not sure how to remove this one. You can find it here if interested.

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

It definitely is not a color changer. It is dark purple and then in sunlight a beautiful lighter (but not super light) purple.

No marks on the metal wxcept a damaged spot. It is indented so it was peobably whacked on something.

I had made a different thread on the ring here, not sure how to remove this one. You can find it here if interested.

Cant shed any more insights, sorry. Just have it tested.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results