shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With This Princess Cut... Again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ohiojagerguy

Rough_Rock
Just stumbled across this diamond and I think it is a decent one yet need the reassurance....

Here are the specs....

Lab: AGS
Carat: 1.015
Cut: Ideal
Clarity VVS2
5.13 x 5.07 x 4.43 mm
Total Depth: 87.3%
Table: 67.3%
Girdle:Medium to Thick
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: Strong Blue
Crown Heaight: 16.4%

Cert.

phil94

Rough_Rock
Hard to judge diamonds just by the numbers, especially fancy cuts such as princess, but this stone seems way too deep. I''ve always stuck to diamonds with tables and depths in mid-high 60''s to low 70''s. Also I don''t like the flourscence but if that is the look you are going for thats fine. Also you pay a premium for VVS stones, I would recommend looking at lower clarity. You can actually go as low as SI1/SI2 and find eye clean stones, just a thought.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bad, bad, bad.

a 1 ct stone should be almost 5.5 mm. THis one is facing up way too small.

You want an AGS 0 with light performance grading, not this kind of AGS report.

ohiojagerguy

Rough_Rock
so when you say 5.5 you mean the width dimensions? Yeah i look for I1 and higher this one just happened to come up in the search. What is a favorable depth?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah, the length and width are usually around 5.5mm for a 1 ct.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Agreed; I'd stay away from a diamond that's so deep. Some ideal cut princess are near 78% total depth, but not 87%. Way too deep.

If you let us know your preferences for 4 C's and budget, we could help you find a great diamond.

ETA: Also regarding clarity, I have a VVS2, but VVS is thought to be clarity overkill. You can save a bunch and get a stone that's just as nice looking by going for an eye-clean SI1 (or VS2 if you don't want to go down to SI).

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
The table% is good, but I agree with everyone else that the stone is too deep.

A depth of 64-75% is what to look for.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2009 8:25:34 PM
Author:ohiojagerguy
Just stumbled across this diamond and I think it is a decent one yet need the reassurance....

Here are the specs....

Lab: AGS
Carat: 1.015
Cut: Ideal
Clarity VVS2
5.13 x 5.07 x 4.43 mm
Total Depth: 87.3%
Table: 67.3%
Girdle:Medium to Thick
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: Strong Blue
Crown Heaight: 16.4%

Cert.
I am confused
33.gif
..., is this an AGS 0 ideal cut princess???? I couldnt notice the cut grade on the report (except ex-ex for polish and sym.)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem, it's graded by AGS, but not AGS 0. The report is not the "performance-based" report.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 3:16:01 AM
Author: JulieN
DiaGem, it''s graded by AGS, but not AGS 0. The report is not the ''performance-based'' report.
Thanks J...

There are options? Can you get a performance or non performance based report for cut?? At AGS?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would keep looking, and also be wary of labels such as Ideal Cut unless it relates to AGS0 Ideal, otherwise this term has no meaning and is no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone has a DQR, which has no cut-grade.

The mentioned ideal cut-grade is misleading and an incorrect representation.

Sad
8.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 4:04:20 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
The stone has a DQR, which has no cut-grade.

The mentioned ideal cut-grade is misleading and an incorrect representation.

Sad
8.gif
Paul...

Thanks for your feedback here...
Let me understand, you can submit a Princess cut (and even a RB??) to the AGS and get a grading report which doesnt grade the cut?

Why?

Is it possible at the GIA too? Can someone request a report for an RB without the extra cut grade (if the Diamond is in the colorless segment)?

Thanks,

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
DiaGem, I believe you can submit a stone and pay AGS for a Diamond Quality Report, which does not grade for performance, vs a Diamond Quality Document, which does. This particular one is a DQR, not a DQD.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that you still can do this for a fancy shape.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not for rounds any more (phased out?) but yes for fancy shapes.

During the proportions-grading years AGS offered the DQR as an equivalent to a GIA report; ct, color, clarity, more measurements but no cut grade. This was a response to dealers of round 60/60 makes, for example, which back then could not earn Ideal in the old 2D proportions system. It remains the same for fancy shapes today; no cut grade, an equivalent alternative to GIA. As for rounds, in 2006 GIA started cut grading that shape. AGS followed suit with their DQR for rounds (now called a ‘Gold’ report). It grades cut now, based on proportions like GIA, though the AGS metric is stricter and not centered as deep.

We prefer the diamond-specific 3D light performance report (called ‘Platinum’ now). With the strictness of that metric (LP and finish) we understand why dealers would want a GIA-equivalent option. We don't use it however.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results