shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with setting style for a five stone french cut ring

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things haven't worked out as I would have liked on resetting my french cuts into a channel set band because it would end up being too high and wide due to the size of the stones, my fingers wouldn't close together which would drive me crazy and would be too uncomfortable. This is partially why I decided to remake my original eternity band.

I have decided to make a five stone band so I would like your opinions or suggestions on the style. At this point I am thinking either a Trellis or U-Prong style. I want to allow the stones to be seen from the side as well. The stones are about 3.7 to 3.9mm each and roughly .36 to .39ct each so somewhere around 1.85/2ctw. It will be all platinum, size 6.25.

I have got to get this one right the first go around. Please give me your thoughts PSers.

I will either sell the remaining 5 stones or possibly use them along with purchasing small OECs for a DBTY necklace.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of a trellis as being so contemporary, so I'd probably go with something else. Yssie had a 5 stone band made for her mother with OECs and had an idea similar to my vintage 5 stone band. Let me see if I can find it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-made-my-mum-a-pressie-a-2-25ct-oec-five-stone.173503/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-made-my-mum-a-pressie-a-2-25ct-oec-five-stone.173503/[/URL]

Mine has the ring all the way around with the u's on top of a base. This one obviously has some engraving. I love that each stone has 4 prongs.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1367113182|3435928 said:
I think of a trellis as being so contemporary, so I'd probably go with something else. Yssie had a 5 stone band made for her mother with OECs and had an idea similar to my vintage 5 stone band. Let me see if I can find it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-made-my-mum-a-pressie-a-2-25ct-oec-five-stone.173503/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-made-my-mum-a-pressie-a-2-25ct-oec-five-stone.173503/[/URL]

Mine has the ring all the way around with the u's on top of a base. This one obviously has some engraving. I love that each stone has 4 prongs.

Thanks DS for your input. I'm thinking the same about a Trellis. Do you think the square FCs will look ok in a U-prong? I love that ring Yssie had made. It's yummy :lickout:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFever|1367115397|3435941 said:
bright ice, I was planning just such a project a couple months ago and started a thread about it. That project ended up not working out, but maybe you'll find some pics in this thread interesting:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-search-advice-five-stone-ring.185853/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-search-advice-five-stone-ring.185853/[/URL]

Can't wait to see what you make with your beautiful stones!

Thanks GemFever, I appreciate you referencing your thread.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bright ice, are you set on whether you want it to be super sleek and simple, or maybe add some ornamentation? If you don't mind I'll post some more pics that I considered when planning a band.

Also, right now I'm planning a 6-7 stone band with 3mm frenchies, I hope to work with a jewelry artist who takes most of the design work upon himself, after you give him a basic idea of what you want and some inspiration photos. I've come up with a design that I like, I'll send it to him and see what he comes up with. I'll include a sketch (sorry if it's confusing, I'm not the most accomplish artist ;)) ).

http://www.mkhordipour.com/estate/rings/9380.html

_5901.jpg

www.jpg

img_9513_-_copy.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BI would you consider a 7 stone? I think it would better cover the top of your finger.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1367122352|3435975 said:
BI would you consider a 7 stone? I think it would better cover the top of your finger.

I would consider a 7 stone, was wondering which would work the best.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1367126712|3435995 said:
How do you think this design would work with 2 rows of 4 or 5 FCs leaving out the stones in the middle of the sides having that area open? I would love to use as many of the stones as possible.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-2136

I would not like that. I think one row of French cuts that size is enough. The double row looks busy to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your original design except maybe do 7 stones if you have room with a smaller decorative element on the sides. I am actually working on a similar design but with smaller French cuts and mine will be in a channel instead of prongs.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1367161683|3436073 said:
I like your original design except maybe do 7 stones if you have room with a smaller decorative element on the sides. I am actually working on a similar design but with smaller French cuts and mine will be in a channel instead of prongs.

Similar to my original design? If so, how in similarity?

I am really thinking that I want channel set in some sort of design. Another problem with my original design was that the stones seem to have gotten lost in all of the metal, milgrain, etc.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tend to prefer french cuts in channels - whenever I've seen them in prongs, they've looked a little ... off to me, I suppose because it wasn't the approach they used to take in the heyday of their popularity. I think something like the design DS linked to would be the best possible option ... and because I'm a big fan of total coverage, I wonder if it'd be possible to make something like a modified Euroshank, dipping in between the fingers with just metal, and channel-setting stones on the top of the hand and the palm ....

P.S. - Bright Ice, do you think it might be worth double-checking with another vendor? Your stones are lovely and big and beautiful, but it's unusual for stones of 3 mm depth to be too deep for a channel-set. Maybe somebody out there has a more delicate touch with the setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that I am running into issues with stone depth because I want to wear mine with an e-ring. I now see why a lot of people here have thinner bands with smaller French cuts since the depth will be less in smaller stones and work better as a wedding band. I am going to have to postpone my project because Victor is low on 2mm fc's, and even that size will result in a 2.6mm wide band and 2.5mm in height. I am going to have to do an e-ring first to make sure a fc band could be made to the same shank height.

Circe, I don't want to thread jack, but I wish you'd start a thread on french cut bands and tell us the height of the bands, the approx size of the stones, and the width of the settings. I'm not asking too much, am I? ;)) :bigsmile:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1367338030|3437401 said:
Circe, I don't want to thread jack, but I wish you'd start a thread on french cut bands and tell us the height of the bands, the approx size of the stones, and the width of the settings. I'm not asking too much, am I? ;)) :bigsmile:

+1 :naughty: Circe, you've seen prong-set frenchies? I'd love to see some pics...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DS, your wish is my command! I'll sit down with the camera and the micrometer. I think I posted general stats on the big one in SOMEBODY's recent french-cut band thread, though I'm totally blanking on who ... it was somebody who'd rehabbed, sworn never to do it again, and then gotten much luckier with a parcel? Drat this mommy-brain!

Gemfever, yes! Lang had a nice one up on their site, I recall .... looks like it sold, and the function that lets you search JUST the archive is down. Will see if I can hunt it down in my saved pics ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bingo!

prong-set_french_cuts.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1367338486|3437408 said:
DS, your wish is my command! I'll sit down with the camera and the micrometer. I think I posted general stats on the big one in SOMEBODY's recent french-cut band thread, though I'm totally blanking on who ... it was somebody who'd rehabbed, sworn never to do it again, and then gotten much luckier with a parcel? Drat this mommy-brain!

Gemfever, yes! Lang had a nice one up on their site, I recall .... looks like it sold, and the function that lets you search JUST the archive is down. Will see if I can hunt it down in my saved pics ....

I believe it was vinjewels:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-little-project-teaser-french-cut-diamond-band.186877/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-little-project-teaser-french-cut-diamond-band.186877/[/URL]

bright ice, sorry for the threadjack!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the pic Circe! It's super small, but I get the idea of frenchies and prongs. Definitely looks... unusual.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem with the thread jack. I'd like to see what DS has requested as well.

Surely there's got to be a design to incorporate my stones into a channel setting. I want something with an antique feel.

I had seen that ring with the prong set stones at Lang's. It's beautiful but I can't tolerate the rubbing of the fingers. That's the issue that has been brought up thus far if I were to go with the eternity style band.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a reminder, the stats are 10 stones that total 3.85ctw, roughly 3.7-3.9mm each. Depth I really don't know. One of the stones is a bit smaller than the other 9. I was going to leave that one out if I channel set them.

I am waiting to see what the bench recommends doing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do them in a channel with open sides and some scroll work or other design in the gap. That was one of my options but I have to have mine as low as possible.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the one row category...and the seven stone option too. Love the example of the french cuts with the emeralds. I will post my specs here if you want as soon as I get the ring. (Crossing my fingers that it will be comfortable :???: ) Bright Ice, did you ever post the width and depth of your band?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results