shape
carat
color
clarity

help with sapphire as e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
So my bf hates diamonds and the whole industry--even the conflict free canada ones. I have accepted that I am not getting a diamond e-ring and we agree on a sapphire. I wear a 1.25 ct round solitaire diamond around my neck that is almost 7 mm in diameter (not to spite him but bc it was a gift from my parents)...so the sapphire on the e-ring will have to be bigger than that. The budget will probably be $8000. It will be a square or round sapphire solitaire--no diamonds decorating it. The thing is--I haven''t seen those kinds of rings sold anywhere: everything I have seen is either surrounded by diamonds or seems too cheap to be real (ie those $59 loose sapphire deals you see on some websites). How do we go about getting that? Do we go to a jeweler and ask him/her to guide us through the whole process of buying a loose stone and setting it?

Any advice would be much much appreciated.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have seen a few sapphires in set without diamonds. Pic below.

I think the best way to go is to find the perfect stone and than find a setting to go with it. Sapphires are not cut in standard sizes like diamonds, so you may need to do the custom route for it. You can do a search and find some vendors who can find you the stone you are looking for.

Here is a recent 8mm sapphire posted by anemone

clear_finger_shot_2.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OOOH LtlFirecracker! That is delish. I forgot about that one!

Good luck Tessari! Have fun with the process, and hold out for THE ONE. You''ll know it when you see it.

LS

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tessari, you can totally do this without problems. Also, just so you know if you want to "decorate" the setting with white stones, there are also white sapphires! They won''t look exactly like diamonds, but they will serve your purpose...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I would check out http://palagems.com for loose sapphires. You can't see prices on the site, but they can put you in touch with a jeweler in your area who can order and price it for you. You could also work with palagems and an online vendor for ordering and setting your stone. There are many online vendors who do great custom work. http://whitesgems.com is also a great source for incredibly cut loose gems.

Here are a few that come to mind for custom settings.

http://artofplatinum.com

http://whiteflash.com

http://winkjones.com

http://maytalhannah.com

Good Luck!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
LtlFirecracker--that one looks like exactly what I''m looking for!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Glad I could help
21.gif
The sapphire was cut by Jeff White. Lost Sapphire just got a beautiful 2 ct round from him as well.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would start with the basics first.Read and shop and read and shop.....also look at as many settings as you can.I would also decide what color sapphire you are interested.You wont find many sapphire e-rings pre set so you will have to shop for loose stones and as was advised then ''marry it"to a mounting...but first...read about sapphires...its colors,how its cut,its world wide sources, ehancements and quality for price.Armed with knowledge you will be able communicate better to jewelers and sales people about what you want as they show you loose sapphires. listen to their presentations amd then compare what they say to professionally written litarature because not all people in the trade know sapphires or may just be looking out after their commission rather then your best interest.Let us know what beginning questions you have.Good luck!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
As much as I love Leon and Maytal for pave encrusted rings, for a ring that stands on it''s own WITHOUT diamond sidestones, I would head straight for Mark Morrell. He does beautiful fluid work in platinum. You won''t even miss the diamonds!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 7:46:55 PM
Author: neatfreak
As much as I love Leon and Maytal for pave encrusted rings, for a ring that stands on it''s own WITHOUT diamond sidestones, I would head straight for Mark Morrell. He does beautiful fluid work in platinum. You won''t even miss the diamonds!
Excellent suggestion NF!

How''s yer asscher, by the way? Still happy with it?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
This is Ellen's exquisite aquamarine in a Leon solitaire. I think a cushion cut sapphire would look amazing in something like this. I love his solitaires--Mark Morrell's are gorgeous to!

Aqua7914aaa.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how you feel about the color, but this is a gorgeous Montana Sapphire that I think is very beautiful and would make a killer engagement ring! It''s 3ct, 8.5mm diameter, which is a great size for a solitaire. Apparently this size is very rare for Montana sapphires, and it''s kind of extra special that it is North American. If you like it, I''d contact Brad immediately just to put it on hold while you think about it, lurkers tend to snap up the pretties
2.gif

http://www.thegemtrader.com/July%2008%20MSapphire%20Page.htm

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Consider asking a vendor to source your stone once you have an idea on colour (I like to look at Palagems for ideas of different stones and shades as they have a good amount of stock).

I work with Richard - www.artcutgems.com and
Wink - www.winkjones.com

I almost never buy a stone I have actually seen online, they are nearly all ones that have been found to suit my needs.

Just wanted to add that if your BF has problems with the diamond industry over conflict diamonds etc - the coloured stone industry is no picnic either on that front.

Surfgirl could tell you some horror stories about Burma.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much for the help everyone and the great advice everyone!!!

valleygirl

Rough_Rock
It seems like you aren''t exactly thrilled with getting a colored gemstone for your e-ring. I think many of the ladies here though can tell you, including myself, that once you put on that ring, especially if you painstakingly picked out the gem yourself, there is no better feeling in the world. I didn''t want a diamond because I didn''t want a typical e-ring, I''m not your typical girl. I would go with a sapphire because of its durability and it comes in so many colors. Definately find out what color you want then contact someone who can help you find one. By Pandora''s suggestion I am working with Richard Homer and Wink Jones and my experience has been nothing but fabulous.

Good luck with your search. I have a feeling that very soon you are going to to have a very great colored gemstone adventure
28.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think jewelerman has really good advice.

Don't forget about *red* sapphire (ruby). Especially if no diamond is a big compromise on your part, I think you're entitled to a 2 carat, stoplight-red ruby solitaire
11.gif
. Probably more than $8000 though.

If you need sidestones there are always man-made diamonds.

p.s. I thought about this topic when I saw this: http://www.ajsgems.com/cpage/products/details?pid=2049211090&cid=2046340410. For the price there must be something wrong that isn't obvious from the description, since everything described on the site looks promising (reasonably attractive, GRS certed as unenhanced 'vivid' blue, desirable round shape and five-carat size).

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Valleygirl--at first I wasn''t too happy about it because I love diamonds but now it makes sense. I am also so excited to finally get engaged that the stone doesn''t matter too much.
We do everything a little bit different from everyone else so the fact that I am not getting a diamond makes it an even more unique engagement. It also makes more sense financially...I can get a bigger stone for less money (depending on the quality of course)....

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have seen some very nice rings w/out diamonds. You could have engraving on the shank if you want a little more detail. With your budget you should be able to afford a very nice stone.
There are some diamond free sapphire styles on this site http://www.jewelryexpert.com/
I am a big fan of this guy too jamesmeyerjewelry.com

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
A ruby would be beautiful too!
Also check out cherrypicked.com for stones. Even though I haven''t bought from them it''s one of my favorite sites to browse.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 7:12:52 AM
Author: Pandora II

Just wanted to add that if your BF has problems with the diamond industry over conflict diamonds etc - the coloured stone industry is no picnic either on that front.

This, unfortunately, is an excellent point. It might make the Montana sapphire extra attractive?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I know Michelle
7.gif
And they won''t use stones they don''t source. But I love the designs.
BTW Your being paged in Rocky talk.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d also check out Krikawa. BF has the same issue with diamonds, but we''re a good match, because I don''t like them anyway. Heh. Anyway, I really like Krikawa''s designs, they have a few solitaires that aren''t just plain ol'' boring solitaires (not that I have anything against them, because I''ll be getting one!) but I plan to make my wedding set a little bit more interesting with a Krikawa wedding band. Krikawa has a similar fluid look with their carved curls rings to MWM''s style, but a bit more whimsical.

Just thought I''d throw out another option.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to mention if it's the modern diamond industry he has issues with perhaps you could but an old cut diamond? Mines an OEC but i didn't buy it for those reasons i just hapened to like the ring and the cut.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Montana sapphire would be neat but for whatever reason people seem to pay huge premiums for them, much more than similar quality unheated stones from most other sources. Also Montana sapphire size is typically small so that further pushes up the premium for a great stone over 2 carats. For instance this 2 carater http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1991 which at $26K is more than you'd pay for a nice possibly unheated ruby of the same size, which makes no sense at all to me.

I like the old diamond idea too.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Tessari - just a thought, I always loved this setting with the emerald halo - it''s shown w/ a diamond but I think it could be gorgeous with a bezel set sapphire (and a plain shank) - whatever you come up with, it will be beautiful!

lmwemhalo.jpg

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
35.gif

Just saw this today...it was custom-made and it is Tanzanite with yellow accent diamonds, but it would be pretty with a sapphire and some other side stones maybe?
Tanzanite ring with band
I thought it was pretty...didn't mention the price but it did mention that it was custom.
Here is a picture from the Jewelry Expert website...never used them, just like the ring! Thoughts?

Tanzanite Ring.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I also saw this set and thought it was beautiful and unique...again, Tanzanite, not Sapphire, but just like the design of the ring...replace the diamond accents, etc...here is the link and pic.

Ring

Tantalizingring 2.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw the huge amount of setting, without diamonds, from /www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Moun" tings/rings/" target="_blank">
I think you need to pick a stone on the site to be able to view the price quote, but I thought the huge selection of mountings to research is great here...

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That''s a great website.

I wonder if the prices are comparable to what you would get from a local jeweler??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results