shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with round lab diamond!

NDB

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, just looking for some knowledgeable opinions on 2 round lab diamonds I found on JA. The most important thing for me is brilliance. As far as proportions/quality which one would you guys recommend if any of the two? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Diamond 1- 1.02Ct
Table 58
Depth 60.7
Crown 34
Pavillion 41
6.49×6.53×3.95
Ideal cut exc sym/polish GCAL cert
Link:https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-e-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-7854727

Diamond 2- 1.03 Ct
Table 58
Crown 34.5
Depth 61
Pavillion 40.8
6.50×6.53×3.98
Ideal cut exc sym/polish GCAl cert
Link:https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-e-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-7854731

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
You’ll get more answers if you have this thread moved to the MMD section. Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hit Report Concern and ask mods to move it to the MMD forum.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about this one?

Reactions: NDB

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA tool is as valid for MRBs in MMD form as Mined form, so it is useful if you've found one you want to confirm has complementary angles!

To make the search easier, try to stick within these parameters:

Table 54-58 %
Depth 60-62.4 %
Pavilion Angle 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallower, 40.6 pavilion angle)

When crown angle increases, pavilion angle decreases, and vice versa (so 40.6p with 35ish crown, but 40.9p with 34c).

NDB

Rough_Rock
The HCA tool is as valid for MRBs in MMD form as Mined form, so it is useful if you've found one you want to confirm has complementary angles!

To make the search easier, try to stick within these parameters:

Table 54-58 %
Depth 60-62.4 %
Pavilion Angle 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34-35 degrees (up to 35.5 or even 36 with a shallower, 40.6 pavilion angle)

When crown angle increases, pavilion angle decreases, and vice versa (so 40.6p with 35ish crown, but 40.9p with 34c).

Thanks so much for taking time to respond to me. I actually really like the diamond that kk Johnson above recommended.

However the Pavillion and crown are not in the ranges you listed.

table:56.5%
depth:60%
crown:33.5
Pavillion: 40.2

6.80x6.84x4.09

what do you think? The diamond in 360 looks very beautiful to me

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for taking time to respond to me. I actually really like the diamond that kk Johnson above recommended.

However the Pavillion and crown are not in the ranges you listed.

table:56.5%
depth:60%
crown:33.5
Pavillion: 40.2

6.80x6.84x4.09

what do you think? The diamond in 360 looks very beautiful to me

Looks like it's Not Available - I hope because you have it on Hold!

I (personally speaking) like it - it looks very white for a G (especially an MMD G), it's a very clean VS2, and as you say, it performs very nicely and seems very well cut.

I ran it through the HCA tool and it got a score of 1.2, with a 'Looks Like' score of 'Bigger' (because the crown and the pavilion angles are both pretty shallow), so it would look large for it's carat weight :)

The lower crown angle might mean it has more white light return than coloured fire, but the table is in the middle of the PS-recommended range so that will balance it out, if I understand things correctly.

I'm not sure about the low pavilion angle, though - I thought 40.45 degrees and below was where there was risk of leakage through the pavilion, so I'm not sure if 40.2 might present an increased risk? @Karl_K would be the man to ask, if he would be kind enough to check it out! :)

NDB

Rough_Rock
Looks like it's Not Available - I hope because you have it on Hold!

I (personally speaking) like it - it looks very white for a G (especially an MMD G), it's a very clean VS2, and as you say, it performs very nicely and seems very well cut.

I ran it through the HCA tool and it got a score of 1.2, with a 'Looks Like' score of 'Bigger' (because the crown and the pavilion angles are both pretty shallow), so it would look large for it's carat weight :)

The lower crown angle might mean it has more white light return than coloured fire, but the table is in the middle of the PS-recommended range so that will balance it out, if I understand things correctly.

I'm not sure about the low pavilion angle, though - I thought 40.45 degrees and below was where there was risk of leakage through the pavilion, so I'm not sure if 40.2 might present an increased risk? @Karl_K would be the man to ask, if he would be kind enough to check it out! :)

yes I put it on hold ! thanks for your response. To me it looks very nice but I’m also not exactly sure how much the “shallowness” will affect it or if it will be just fine! I don’t know what to do haha

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I presume that your intended has expressed an openness to manmade diamonds, as opposed to earth mined?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes I put it on hold ! thanks for your response. To me it looks very nice but I’m also not exactly sure how much the “shallowness” will affect it or if it will be just fine! I don’t know what to do haha

I know what you mean - spending a lot of money on a tiny thing is always a stress, lol.

This is why we have PS-recommended vendors, though, so you can return them without issue if it is not The One for you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results