shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ring upgrade to 4 - 5 ct diamond

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for all these great comments and suggestions!!! It’s so great to have a helpful community to discuss with :)

All the stones that have been suggested are great starting points. However, 5 ct is really the max size I would go. Given the size of my hands/fingers, I think something in the 4ct range looks the best on me. There aren’t a lot of options when it comes to this size so I’d be fine with anything in the range of 4-5. I also wouldn’t go below 4ct, because I feel that the size difference from my current stone wouldn’t be significant enough to justify an upgrade.

In terms of color, I think “I” is a great value for me because I’m not color sensitive. I haven’t compared I versus H colors in MRBs at the 4+ carat range, but have a friend who has a 4+ carat princess cut in an I color and it looks white to me. I wouldn’t want to pay for a higher color if it’s hard for me to tell the difference :) I care less about “mind clean” and more about what I can see! With clarity, I feel the same way. If it’s harder to find SI1s that are eye clean at the size I want, I’d aim for VS2 but don’t think I need anything close to flawless.

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
MrsB’s ACA is gorgeous! I can’t wait to see a superideal in person :D

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I left my search option open for I and nothing came up around that size for SI1. Also at that size, finding an eye-clean SI1 will be pretty difficult these days, unless you go with super-ideal vendors with first grab on best rough choices, but that also comes at a higher cost than other equivalent clarity level. I could tell you're value conscious (and smartly so), so it's worth looking around but the choices are quite limited I'm afraid. It may be best to work on a budget. What's your cap?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you aren't too color sensitive, please look at a J in a super ideal. Most people are very surprised when I tell them that my stone is a J.

IMG-20180331-WA0002.jpg 20180406_100916.jpg 20180301_095656-1.jpg

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
I left my search option open for I and nothing came up around that size for SI1. Also at that size, finding an eye-clean SI1 will be pretty difficult these days, unless you go with super-ideal vendors with first grab on best rough choices, but that also comes at a higher cost than other equivalent clarity level. I could tell you're value conscious (and smartly so), so it's worth looking around but the choices are quite limited I'm afraid. It may be best to work on a budget. What's your cap?

I agree, the SI1s I’m seeing online all look pretty dirty at the size range that I want. I think aiming for VS2 makes the most sense and also I wouldn’t want the clarity to affect light performance which I’ve read on the threads that it can. According to my online search, it looks like I can get a stone in my parameters for under $100K so that would probably be my cap.

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
CEG - your stone is gorgeous! I love how clear and crisp it looks in the 3rd photo. It looks so white, can’t believe it’s a J! Which super ideal vendor is it from?

diamondlove_

Rough_Rock
Also, not sure if the setting should influence my stone choice, but I’m in love with the Steven Kirsch Preciosa setting and will most likely work with him to get that setting.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I went in thinking I would eventually trade up to an I but I am totally happy with this J, an ACA from whiteflash. Size is another matter, lol.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

There are several options already offered on this thread that meets the budget, so check them out to try narrowing it down. You probably can't go wrong with one of ACA, and also give call call to @Wink because he had mentioned recently there are more inventory that haven't made it to the HD website.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 I just died. That is my dream, lol.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
OP if I were on a look out for a 4ct....this would be it!!!! HURRY!!! I wish I had loose 60k sitting doing nothing :p

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a thread over on SMTB with a 5 carat J VSI solitaire. I think there's well over 100 pictures haha, so it should give you a pretty good idea of what a J at this carat weight would look like (although her's has medium blue fluor, so it may appear a bit whiter in sunlight than a J without fluor).

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/teslagirl-diamond-collection-feeling-grateful-3.239779/

Nice! her mega ring proportion is my favorite! Good gawd, it must be amazing in person.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! First, congrats on your soon to be upgrade!
I went down this path earlier, and wanted to share my experience.
First and foremost, I think you need to decide on the carat weight. Then you can decide on the clarity/cut/etc.

I have a 3.15ct stone and I was going to upgrade to a 4ct or 5ct... exactly the same as you. I went to the boutique and asked to see both a 4ct and 5ct. To me, the 4ct was not a big enough difference to warrant purchasing a new stone. The 5ct was very nice, but it was huge on me... almost "in-your-face-tacky" huge... at least for me. I am not shy about wearing tacky big bling, but the 5ct was a bit over the edge that I felt I would not wear it daily and to me, I don't buy jewelry I can't wear in my daily rotation. So in a twisted way, that settled the 5ct urge for me.

I would strongly suggest you comparing size stones on your finger and then decide on the specs.

Good luck! Jewelry shopping is so much fun!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3.15ct stone and I was going to upgrade to a 4ct or 5ct... exactly the same as you. I went to the boutique and asked to see both a 4ct and 5ct. To me, the 4ct was not a big enough difference to warrant purchasing a new stone. The 5ct was very nice, but it was huge on me... almost "in-your-face-tacky" huge... at least for me.
I wanna be "tacky" but no money! ;(

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want that 20 ct beauty!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: my dream stone...well some day...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the people here with larger rounds have Whiteflash stones. They usually have the best prices for top quality stones. I color is probably the most popular color for larger stones for value and whiteness. I wouldn't even look at SI1 in a stone that size. VS2 is much more realistic, but sometimes VS1 isn't that much more. I'd go to WF and look at what they have, and if they don't have the right size, color, and clarity, they may be able to custom cut one for you like they did for MrsB. Hers is pretty perfect. m-2-b also has a 4.7 ct WF ACA that is I VS, and it is gorgeous, too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even look at SI1 in a stone that size. VS2 is much more realistic, but sometimes VS1 isn't that much more. I'd go to WF and look at what they have, and if they don't have the right size, color, and clarity, they may be able to custom cut one for you like they did for MrsB. Hers is pretty perfect. m-2-b also has a 4.7 ct WF ACA that is I VS, and it is gorgeous, too.
I'd agree with DS. once you get into the 3ct + range it will pretty hard to find an eye clean SI1 stone, but you get to my age every stone looks eye clean...:lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree with DS. once you get into the 3ct + range it will pretty hard to find an eye clean SI1 stone, but you get to my age every stone looks eye clean...:lol:

Have you not heard of reading glasses, DF? Then you can still see inclusions. :lol:

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like you have some great advice here! Don’t think I can add much except be patient, take all the advice of pricescopers and wait for the perfect diamond to come along! With your budget you should not settle.

@neofita very Interesting site, that liveauctions! I may have to start a new thread to see if anybody has done an auction before. It seems pretty scary to just buy something site unseen but the Prices I saw were 10,000 less than what I find online. I’m currently looking for a 4 to 4 1/2 carat emerald cut. Do you have personal experience with auctions?

neofita

Rough_Rock
Premium
Looks like you have some great advice here! Don’t think I can add much except be patient, take all the advice of pricescopers and wait for the perfect diamond to come along! With your budget you should not settle.

@neofita very Interesting site, that liveauctions! I may have to start a new thread to see if anybody has done an auction before. It seems pretty scary to just buy something site unseen but the Prices I saw were 10,000 less than what I find online. I’m currently looking for a 4 to 4 1/2 carat emerald cut. Do you have personal experience with auctions?
I do not, but I saw policies and sometimes yuo can return items and have full refund. Than, you can ask sellers more info and pictures before the auction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results