shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP with ring setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JackiF

Rough_Rock

Hello,

This is my first posting and I wanted to thank Chrono for convincing me that this would be the perfect forum to ask for help as to what to do with a stone that I have, she is very knowledgeable on this subject and I trust her judgment.

On with the fun stuff. I got this stone as an annivery gift, and need some help on how to set it. What do you ladies think I should do with this stone?
Some things to keep in mind… I don’t care for halos and I would like a somewhat simple setting to show off the beauty of the stone. The stone is a Umba Sapphire/Ruby, untreated, and weighs 2.96 ct.
I wanted to wish Chrono a belated Happy Birthday sorry I didn’t post sooner I didn’t realize that it would take a while to get an activation code.

Sapphire5521.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your anniversary! How about a simple and elegant rose gold solitaire?
P.S. My apartment still needs your help.
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS, Jacki.
35.gif
And thank you for the birthday wishes.

As you already know, I''m not good with settings and design, but I love the colour of that unheated sapphire. I see purple with lots of red flash. I would do yellow metals to bring out the richness of the colour but I don''t know if you have a preference for metal colours.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
I think you're right about yellow.

Jacki,
How do you feel about green pave?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JackiF,
Great stone (I wonder where you got that from???
27.gif
). Welcome to PS!!

Chrono,
Happy Birthday!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 9:02:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Chrono,
Happy Birthday!!
Thanks, TL. I''m a St. Patty''s baby and I''m not even Irish.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 9:07:50 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 3/18/2009 9:02:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Chrono,
Happy Birthday!!
Thanks, TL. I'm a St. Patty's baby and I'm not even Irish.
One of my best girlfriends is also a St. Patty's baby. That's the only way I remember her bday (I'm bad).
emembarrassed.gif
Now back to figuring out how to set this poor lady's ring.

Well, I would love to see it in 18K yellow gold.

Jacki,
Do you like period jewelry like art deco, art nouveau, ornate, modern?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dainty and delicate?
Something contemporary to "fit" the modern cut?
Do you mind some diamond "decoration"/accents but not halo?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JackiF, I love the stone. Pretty color. I think TL''s suggestion for the EW setting would look stunning. I also agree YG is a good choice. Have fun!
36.gif
And Happy Anniversary.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I'm always for a nice purple stone in yellow, makes such a nice combo. I think this one deserves 18k yellow, and maybe even a custom setting(?). I saw once a great marquise solitaire that I'll try to describe.

The shank was widening from the back (towards the stone), and the stone itself was set with prongs, lenght-wise following the finger. I think it was 8 prongs in total, as they were incorporated into the design. Two were covering the stones tips, and the 3 on each side were "starting points" for grooves in metal that followed the ring's shape (narrowing to a single point on each side). Hope this isn't too complicated to visualize.

BTW, with a stone of that size, there's not much room left for additional decorations. What is the mm size if I may ask?

JackiF

Rough_Rock
OK ladies… here I am again after numerous sketches I think we have it, but I want to get your opinion on this before I give Richard Wise the OK to go ahead and do it.
Let me know what you think… Remember the stone is exquisite and I want the setting to look simple and stand out, yet, not screaming gaudy.

ring7058007.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely, Jacki. Can I be naughty and suggest maybe 2 melee diamonds gypsy set into the band, one on each side for a little sparkle factor?
31.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color of that stone is just wonderful. It will look great in that setting. Welcome to PS!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your new gemstone. I've seen it on Gene's website and it was one of those that you stopped to look at.

18k yellow gold is THE way to go. Absolutely. I've got a 6.5ct marquise cut ruby set in yellow gold and it looks right at home with the metal.

I'm not sure I would do a bypass ring only because there's a lot of metal and honestly, your gemstone needs to be the centre piece. I'd be tempted to have it set N/S with just some small white diamonds either side for added sparkle. A thin gold band would compliment and look stunning.

Honestly, whatever you decide on, you're not going to be disappointed. It's gorgeous.

ETA: Oooops where are my manners? Welcome to the Forum and Chrono - a belated Happy Birthday x

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
My birthday was in March.
33.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2009 4:00:07 PM
Author: Chrono
LD,
My birthday was in March.
33.gif
Oh pants, sorry Chrono - I noticed at the top of this thread that your birthday was mentioned but didn''t check the date! Well, a belated happy birthday then!!! Hey, it''s never too late for cake! lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD. Chocolate mouse will be perfect!
3.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chocolate mouse? Hm..normally I''m up for anything pertaining to chocolate or cake, but I''m not so sure about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results