shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ring design for my new scissor cut/ crisscut elongated cushion

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should be taking delivery of my new scissor cut/ crisscut elongated cushion tomorrow. Here is a photo and the ASET image.

diamond-Cushion-1.03-Carat-D-SI2_0_first_ (2).jpg 8172200a.jpg

Im probably jumping ahead because I still need to make sure I'm happy with it in person, but in the meantime I've been thinking about setting options. I'm hoping to make a 3 stone ring in platinum and have found some options for different side stone shapes with various facet patterns that I hope will complement the centre stone. I'm going to end up having to take a leap of faith and order the side stones (from abroad) without having seen them in person next to my stone, so I'm trying to understand how they could each work with my stone stone.

I decided to make a scale drawing of my stone together with some side stone options I have identified to see how they look. My drawing skills aren't great, but the dimensions are accurate for all the layouts, including the scale on the shank to get an idea of "finger coverage".

The side stone options I have found in order are: tycoon trapezoids, step cut cadillacs, emerald cuts and step cut trapezoids.

I am trying to achieve:

Good balance of proportions/ shape of side stones to centre stone
Facet pattern of side stones to complement facet pattern of centre diamond
Side diamonds to be bright enough to hold their own against the great light performance from the centre diamond
Good finger coverage (I might add some pave diamonds to the the shank for extra sparkle)

Option 1: tycoon trapezoids
20200126_190238.jpg

Option 2: Step Cut cadillacs
20200126_190904.jpg

Option 3: Emerald cuts
20200127_195729.jpg

Option 4: step cut traps
20200126_192533.jpg

I think I have narrowed it down to 3 favourites :lol: and I would love to hear everybody's opinions on which are their favourite of the options, and why.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 - Because of the faceting and shape

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seems like 2 and 4 are the winners so far. (They were both in my shortlist of 3)

Not sure my drawings are doing justice to the facet patterns of the side diamond types :lol: though - for completeness:

Tycoon trapezoids:

6455501-B_-_Copy.jpg

Cadillacs:

CADILLAC.jpg

Step cut trapezoids:

trp236.jpg

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still 1 lol

Yes - those are in my shortlist too :) (basically I'm not wowed by the emerald cut cut option, but the other 3 all have their attractions in my eyes). Can I ask why you like option 1?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I think the contrast of these “pattern textures” is the most flattering for your stone. The other 2 look a bit busy/too similar/splintery. If the steps in the traps were fatties I would like it more!

I love the table/crown of 1.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still 2

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the Cadillacs

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Unfortunately I received the diamond today and will be returning it rather than going ahead with the project.

Its an SI2 with a feather, and having examined it under the loupe I can see that it breaches the surface of the girdle. So I dont want to take the risk in case it causes durability problems. Its a shame because its otherwise eye clean, and has lovely light return.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Cadillacs - like it’s an early bird dinner special in Orlando!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1 and 4!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and get the project back on track with an alternative centre stone, with similar specs (but no troublesome SI2 inclusions this time)

rocksjust4me

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and get the project back on track with an alternative centre stone, with similar specs (but no troublesome SI2 inclusions this time)

can i ask where you are sourcing your scissor cut stones? Are they Crisscut brand?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results