shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Oval Diamonds

BlueShell

Rough_Rock
Hi - am trying to find the right oval diamond with a budget of up to $28k. Will go on a gold solitaire setting, plain band. Hoping for something in the ~2.2 - 2.5 carat range though having trouble finding good options.

I think I have it down to the following 2 (reports attached) - am seeing both in person tomorrow

2.30, G, VS2, 1.36 ratio - $26,692
2.50, H, VS2, 1.39 ratio - $28,800

Am a little worried that I'd be overpaying for the 2.30 and that it will face up like a smaller diamond. Any advice or things to look out for when I see in person?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 5211094008.pdf
    930.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2366598679.pdf
    940.8 KB · Views: 4

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately fancy shapes cant be chosen based on numbers alone. We need to see videos to be helpful

aisa901

Rough_Rock
@BlueShell, how did it going looking at both in person?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlueShell

Rough_Rock
Sorry - by different angle I meant totally new one that I'm considering. Do you have any thoughts on that one? Thank you!
Huh? That is neither the 2.3 or the 2.5.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
I wasn't a fan of the shape of the 2.3, the edges looked a bit too round to me. And both the 2.3 and 2.4 seem to have pretty thick girdles, but I like the shape of 2.4 better. @tyty333 is more of the expert around here with ovals, but I thought the cut of the 2.4 wasn't bad, I didn't notice a bow tie.

Is your budget canadian or u.s.? The price of the 2.4 with those specs seems a tad high if that is u.s. dollars compared to other diamonds available with those specs. Did you buy the 2.4, it says sold now?

People here can guide you if you post your budget, specs and any other preferences.

BlueShell

Rough_Rock
I wasn't a fan of the shape of the 2.3, the edges looked a bit too round to me. And both the 2.3 and 2.4 seem to have pretty thick girdles, but I like the shape of 2.4 better. @tyty333 is more of the expert around here with ovals, but I thought the cut of the 2.4 wasn't bad, I didn't notice a bow tie.

Is your budget canadian or u.s.? The price of the 2.4 with those specs seems a tad high if that is u.s. dollars compared to other diamonds available with those specs. Did you buy the 2.4, it says sold now?

Lots of people can guide you here if you post your budget, specs and any other preferences.

Local store was actually able to get the 2.4 in person (and is selling for less - $24,800) - so am about to see it in a few hours! Anything specific to look out for in person other than that it's eye-clean?

aisa901

Rough_Rock
Local store was actually able to get the 2.4 in person (and is selling for less - $24,800) - so am about to see it in a few hours! Anything specific to look out for in person other than that it's eye-clean?

Yes! Lots, make sure to look at it in as many different lighting situations as possible including outside, in and out of direct sunlight. When you are viewing it in different lighting situations, make sure there is no permanent dark bow tie in the middle, there may be a faint one but you really can't avoid bowties in ovals, so you want one with a minimal bowtie.

I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but in direct sun, the oval should appear dark in spots, and that's okay, it should still be giving off flashes of light. Inside or in the shade, you want to see that it looks bright and white equally throughout the diamond. Jewellery shops manipulate the lighting so that all the diamonds sparkle, even the ones that aren't cut well which is why you want to assess its' performance in a variety of lighting conditions before committing.

You should also pay attention to the color, ovals show color more than rounds, so make sure you are okay with what an "H" means in terms of color when you see it in person. And make sure you understand the return policy if you choose to buy this diamond in case you change your mind.

Good luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I prefer the 2.3 over the 2.4 but neither are all that great IMO. What you want to see is more nice facets light up in the red areas when the stone turns. You're not really getting that with either stone. The 2.3 is a little better in that area. The 2.4 is what is shown
below.
snip 2.png

You want to find a stone that has faceting something like this where you see a lot of well-defined facets throughout the stone. These
facets usually flash on/off and provide the sparkle we all look for.

aisa901

Rough_Rock
@BlueShell how did things turn out with the in person viewing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results