shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with old inherited Sapphire

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah - moonstone necklace - which I posted in another thread because I don’t know what to do with it but think now I may recycle into a head piece for my daughter (like the pic). A313FB66-1539-4CCF-800B-890697551796.jpeg (PHess p F27239B2-FC18-4EAC-8768-BE4B6E130CF5.png ei 19FEDE9B-2327-444E-A201-A53500D09DA5.jpeg CFDF6EE0-1C2A-43ED-972D-FBB7B644A462.jpeg

Wow ! :appl:
That journey needs a thread of its own
turning the moonstone necklase into a head peice !

The watches you should start a new thread
There are people very knowledgeable about watches around here

mother's can be very fickle crearures
There is a rather delightful thread of late about some Mikimoto pearls that the mom had always said were costume jewlery

I think it can be a revelation to realise that sometimes mum and dad got things wrong

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I hate to think about the things I destroyed as a kid growing up because she told me they were *costume jewellery *. :eek2:
I have so many pieces - I didn’t want to keep making posts and annoying problem for their hard earned knowledge - so I’m trying to do as much online research as I can before I come hassle here. But everyone here has so much knowledge!!! It’s hard not to want to take advantage of that.
(Dammit now I want to post the weird broach I have that I have kept because it’s *THAT* ugly but so well made it baffled me.
***watch out for that thread***:lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to think about the things I destroyed as a kid growing up because she told me they were *costume jewellery *. :eek2:
I have so many pieces - I didn’t want to keep making posts and annoying problem for their hard earned knowledge - so I’m trying to do as much online research as I can before I come hassle here. But everyone here has so much knowledge!!! It’s hard not to want to take advantage of that.
(Dammit now I want to post the weird broach I have that I have kept because it’s *THAT* ugly but so well made it baffled me.
***watch out for that thread***:lol-2:

Id be keen to see all your jewlery
isn't that what we're here for ? :appl:

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Beautiful-disaster,
Is there a reason the moonstone necklace is in a Cartier box?
Also is the moonstone necklace in silver or gold?

p.s. please post more stuff! Help me keep sane with something to do in the time of Covid :)

Last edited:

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful-disaster,
Is there a reason the moonstone necklace is in a Cartier box?
Also is the moonstone necklace in silver or gold?

p.s. please post more stuff! Help me keep sane with something to do in the time of Covid :)

The box is just what I use to photograph it so it sat well. The metal at the sides of the chain appear to be silver but around and in between the stones is like a very fine black wire - if it was silver it’s beyond fixing.. it’s so delicate one of the other drops came off in the box while I was moving around.
I’m researching watched today but not finding that anywhere near as interesting - Hahahaha
Trying to work out if a Rolex is a super fake is beyond my expertise it would seem!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it was set in silver which has tarnished, that would go black I think! Would love to see what else has been left for you. We all like to look at bling here, and interesting stories like yours would have us all wondering!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful-disaster,
I think it would be worth it to consider Leonard Joel as well. Leonard Joel will do an online valuation or a free valuation in person. https://www.leonardjoel.com.au/valuations/
I think that you, your sister, and your aunt(if she can) should go take the bracelet there in person. I think that they will be a good place to start.

I have actually spoken to the head of Leonard Joel jewellery, Julie Foster - a lovely and very knowledgeable woman whom I'm sure would be happy to assess & value your jewels. I still personally believe the sapphire is worth re-cutting & re polishing, particularly if you ever wish to sell it. Do NOT let your sister break up the emerald bracelet - it's definitely worth keeping intact!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m dying to put your beautiful sapphire under my microscope!
im wondering if if it’s possibly Kashmir.
If you’re in Sydney, come on over :wavey: 6FC48554-CD01-41B9-9C0F-104BA0602213.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
If you’re in Sydney, come on over :wavey: 6FC48554-CD01-41B9-9C0F-104BA0602213.jpeg

That’s an impressive set up Bron!
I love your colorful porcelain pieces (Clarice Cliff? Plates) also. Besides gemstones, I do have a weakness for glass and pottery as well.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Just playing with the sapphire outside. Ps everytime I try and use tweezers I drop the stone - not sure it’s me or the tweezers or the stone
Oh and please excuse artist hands - I’m a painter.

My, my! Loooove all the different blue tones it flashes :kiss2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s an impressive set up Bron!
I love your colorful porcelain pieces (Clarice Cliff? Plates) also. Besides gemstones, I do have a weakness for glass and pottery as well.

Yes, Clarice Cliff. The center piece there is also Clarice Cliff. A very rare Umbrella stand. Extra rare as being used as an Umbrella stand many got damaged! I also collect other porcelains and Glass. 0BBE7DC4-4BE4-4524-A1EC-AA7AFAAC88FC.jpeg 00CB22F8-7A06-422A-96CC-3FC34709B135.jpeg 096E941E-B6E5-404B-92FE-AB20856EE6CF.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Wow, so many gorgeous pieces! Beautiful collections and displays. I realized that was also hers but thought it was a large vase. Might have to start a new thread for our non gem collections!

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock

Ok wow. I’m a bit lost for words at your set up here. I could spend eons of time sitting there looking through all of your stones!
You have a lot of impressive collections in general. You must be fascinating to talk to at dinner parties!
I would definitely love to come for a visit when everything settles down here. Unfortunately I was in a place last week at the same time as a positive case so am watching for symptoms and staying home of course. (woolworths Burwood).
My daughter also managed to pick up a cold at school (big surprise) so we are off for testing.
We keep getting positive people show up in locations around us and around where my daughter goes to school in the innerwest so it feels a little like Russian Roulette everytime we go out.

If I had you set up I think I would be happy to stay home indefinitely - lol

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for sharing this! Aren’t they magical?! Really cool to see the way the color is distributed through the stone and also to see the unset stone in its entirety. It’s a beauty!!

Thanks Bluemuse
I do keep finding myself returning to your thread about your magestical ring! Never seem to tire of staring at these beauties. Makes my eyes happy and soothes the soul.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok wow. I’m a bit lost for words at your set up here. I could spend eons of time sitting there looking through all of your stones!
You have a lot of impressive collections in general. You must be fascinating to talk to at dinner parties!
I would definitely love to come for a visit when everything settles down here. Unfortunately I was in a place last week at the same time as a positive case so am watching for symptoms and staying home of course. (woolworths Burwood).
My daughter also managed to pick up a cold at school (big surprise) so we are off for testing.
We keep getting positive people show up in locations around us and around where my daughter goes to school in the innerwest so it feels a little like Russian Roulette everytime we go out.

If I had you set up I think I would be happy to stay home indefinitely - lol

You are very close... I’m in Croydon. I don’t go to Burwood these days, too many teens hanging out. I go to Ashfield Mall, too daggy for the teens.
And yes, I scored a gem haul at auction a few years ago and did a year of the GAA course. I had too many gems to send off for assessment so I bought all the gear to do my own preliminary assessments. It has been so much fun. I spend hours, especially during these times, peering down the microscope.

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Bluemuse
I do keep finding myself returning to your thread about your magestical ring! Never seem to tire of staring at these beauties. Makes my eyes happy and soothes the soul.

I feel the same way, Beautiful-disaster!
We are very lucky to have such beautiful stones in our care. They are mysterious and soothing at the same time. And I’d say we need all the soothing we can get right now.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just playing with the sapphire outside. Ps everytime I try and use tweezers I drop the stone - not sure it’s me or the tweezers or the stone
Oh and please excuse artist hands - I’m a painter.

Holy-moly! I loved her in pictures already but the video = wow what a beauty! I can't wait for you to eventually find out more about her. I love this search you are on with your inherited pieces - like a jewelry mystery adventure!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
What a spectacular stone and sentimental story behind it!! It doesn't look like it needs a significant recut to me, just a polish of the existing facets to remove abrasions and chips if they both you.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I was checking out the yellow/green fluorescence in a couple of the diamonds in the setting of my e-ring (something I had not known about until now) - and swung the UV light over the sapphire.
I was super surprised to see it glowing a bright pink almost red!
aaaaaaaaaaaand once again I don’t know what I am looking at. I have searched the forum for info on this but the threads coming up are pretty old and there is a lot of guess work going on.... can anyone link me to a thread or article that discusses this please?
I have seen a couple of people say sapphires aren’t supposed to fluoresce and another that said it was a sign of heat treatment (which I know they heat naturally in t he ground so this is neither here nor there) - yup more confusement!

I have included pics for reference - including the one catching my e-ring doing its glow thing (which I’m not happy about as all the diamonds are supposed to be the exact same grade and clarity?)
Not understanding why it’s only a few of them.
Thanks for any help you can offer as always..... and also Thankyou for the lovely comments on the video of the sapphire. It’s sooo nice to be able to share it with people who can appreciate it with me. ❤️ 4554C0D5-684D-4C0A-AE46-BA8F791D4C2B.jpeg 6EADA177-9FC2-4647-BA35-1A26AA133F1A.jpeg 2D7323E4-65E2-4F2C-B0AC-B52804329C6D.jpeg F1C3D1C4-2380-4EBD-869C-748B0EC6305C.jpeg 1EDF3797-50D2-4780-8109-7BBCF471E6A8.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the fluorescence shots!
Can you do one with your sapphire face up?
I’m curious on something!
From what I understand some do some don’t. so it’s not a cut and dry diagnostic tool for natural vs synthetic vs simulant nor would it be for heated vs non heated.
I used to have a sapphire that had fluorescence only in certain parts (strongly delineated) with its color zoning. I though it was pretty cool.
As for your diamonds - if they were supposed to be matched for grade and clarity - they just weren’t additionally matched for fluorescence. I don’t think that’s uncommon.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Tried my best.
very difficult trying to home the stone - my phone and the us torch lols - so I attempted a couple of videos.
the phone does not have any to focus under that light. Please MUTE videos - my partner is in the back ground sorting Lego - super annoying noise. 63AA4F55-9321-4C3F-AFE9-FF91EB516147.jpeg D5661557-62E6-4E90-BA15-5C618C436EED.jpeg 7A2A5860-28E5-4CE4-A5AB-425D361381FA.jpeg

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Oh auto correct had a field day on that one! *hold *UV * does not want to focus
*sigh*

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I have seen a couple of people say sapphires aren’t supposed to fluoresce and another that said it was a sign of heat treatment (which I know they heat naturally in t he ground so this is neither here nor there) - yup more confusement!

ok I saw your earlier post and tried the uv light on my sapphires and one did light up. It’s a GIA certified unheated sapphire. So maybe not indicative of anything. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can shed some light.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I was checking out the yellow/green fluorescence in a couple of the diamonds in the setting of my e-ring (something I had not known about until now) - and swung the UV light over the sapphire.
I was super surprised to see it glowing a bright pink almost red!
aaaaaaaaaaaand once again I don’t know what I am looking at. I have searched the forum for info on this but the threads coming up are pretty old and there is a lot of guess work going on.... can anyone link me to a thread or article that discusses this please?

I have included pics for reference - including the one catching my e-ring doing its glow thing (which I’m not happy about as all the diamonds are supposed to be the exact same grade and clarity?)
Not understanding why it’s only a few of them.
Thanks for any help you can offer as always..... and also Thankyou for the lovely comments on the video of the sapphire. It’s sooo nice to be able to share it with people who can appreciate it with me. ❤ 4554C0D5-684D-4C0A-AE46-BA8F791D4C2B.jpeg 6EADA177-9FC2-4647-BA35-1A26AA133F1A.jpeg 2D7323E4-65E2-4F2C-B0AC-B52804329C6D.jpeg F1C3D1C4-2380-4EBD-869C-748B0EC6305C.jpeg 1EDF3797-50D2-4780-8109-7BBCF471E6A8.jpeg

It indicates that the sapphire contains some chromium, and the iron content is low enough not to quench the fluorescence. If the iron/titanium impurities (these are what colour sapphires blue) weren't there your sapphire would probably be a nice pink colour.

It's the chromium content in rubies that causes the red colour, and if there is very little iron they will fluoresce bright red in LW UV. It's also why the best quality rubies seem to glow from within when viewed in bright sunlight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results