shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with old inherited Sapphire

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I do hope you and your sister don’t break them up! They seem so special and irreplaceable. It’ll be harder to find a buyer, but I’m sure those buyers would pay very dearly!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you have something very special let alone something that was handed down or just given to you.
:$$):

If I were you, nothing, NOTHING would make me sell that stone and setting.

Nothing.

Some people on this forum would give their little toe to have such a stunningly large unheated heirloom piece. & yes I said unheated as that is what your pictures are screaming at my gut & brain!

Please think really good about it before you sell something like this. If you have children think about them and the possibility of passing something of large value on with the clear directions of keeping it in the family.

If I were you I'd contact a highly skilled gem cutter one that is PS approved (I'd ask around here for your best options!) And get an evaluation for recut, still keeping the same oval shape and get that baby recut!

My gut is saying that stone would be something fierce if recut by someone truly skilled. The sparkle and color improved immensely!

Then set it back in there or have a beautiful ring made and if fitting have insurance for it and enjoy the crap out of it!

If you don't love the stone the colored stone fairies (me) can come pick it up! Lol
:dance:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Doug Menadue is located in Sydney (see above link). I know some PriceScopers have bought gems from him and been very happy. It looks as if he does repairs to gems so it might be worthwhile talking to him.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Wow, you have something very special let alone something that was handed down or just given to you.
:$$):

If I were you, nothing, NOTHING would make me sell that stone and setting.

Nothing.

Some people on this forum would give their little toe to have such a stunningly large unheated heirloom piece. & yes I said unheated as that is what your pictures are screaming at my gut & brain!

Please think really good about it before you sell something like this. If you have children think about them and the possibility of passing something of large value on with the clear directions of keeping it in the family.

If I were you I'd contact a highly skilled gem cutter one that is PS approved (I'd ask around here for your best options!) And get an evaluation for recut, still keeping the same oval shape and get that baby recut!

My gut is saying that stone would be something fierce if recut by someone truly skilled. The sparkle and color improved immensely!

Then set it back in there or have a beautiful ring made and if fitting have insurance for it and enjoy the crap out of it!

If you don't love the stone the colored stone fairies (me) can come pick it up! Lol
:dance:

Thankyou for your wonderful reply! I’m still quite amazed that something that I thought was just pretty and sentimental was actually stunning and valuable.
If it hadn’t had its little accident I might never have noticed how deep the stone was cut and how large it actually was.

It’s wonderful to find people that appreciate it as much as I do ❤️❤️
It also good to know I didn’t damage it too much and that it’s flaws are the thing that makes it so unique - I have always felt that way about myself.

I do have a daughter I can hand it down to - but also know that if it was worth a silly amount of money my father would want me to use to to better our lives in someway.
For the now I will defiantly be taking your‘a and others great advice here and looking into a re-cut, get a test and valuation then have the setting fixed (as I do love how the design allows the stone to move around showing it’s sparkle) and give it a couple of years of love before I decide to sell it for our big move to Europe.
Hopefully the Emerald bracelet will get enough at auction that I won’t consider selling the Sapphire anymore.
my grandmother did just pass away and had always promised me a ruby ring she had so I’m secretly hoping that shows up from my Aunt pretty soon.
My grandmother used to travel on *shopping trips* where she would buy gems and jewellery and had things made for her so I’m sure her pieces are all pretty spectacular.

I can’t Thankyou enough everyone for being so kind with your knowledge and time. It’s been incredibly helpful after weeks of searching for information online.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thankyou for your advice.
just trying to stop my sister having it broken up because some not so informed jeweller told her she was better to break it up because it would be too hard to find a buyer for it. So I did as much research aa possible but can’t find anything exactly like it.

:-o glad you stopped her

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful sapphire! It looks like a classic Ceylon stone to me, although I'm no expert. The colour and look suggests Sri Lankan origin to me though.

The colour zoning/silk/haze all look natural too. I don't think they are related to knocks or damage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the odd one who would not have it recut. It is beautiful as is. The stone might have a lot of depth to work with, so you might not lose face up size but you will definitely lose ct weight and it is going to be a fairly good $/ct loss that I am not willing to bear. Then again, I am not one for perfect precision cuts.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Just to echo @chrono, I would leave it be also. Some collectors of antique jewelry pieces may not favor a recut since originality is important to the “authenticity” of the piece, so recutting can lead to a potential drop in price for that niche of antique jewelry buyers. I think it’s beautiful as is—older stones have a “wonky” cut that to me is quite lovable and echoes the era during which it was made.

Being a novice collector of antique jewelry myself, I personally would prefer an original gem (even that with a “native” cut) than something recut with modern standards. I also hesitate myself to put old stones in new settings and vice versa, since in my very humble and personal opinion doing so looks “off” to me. Maybe I’m alone in feeling so strongly this way, but seeing what I call “Frankenstein” mashups of incongruent era clashing stones and settings always makes me a little sad, although I understand that many (most?) others won’t feel the same way. To me, it’s so hard finding an old stone in its original setting to begin with (especially with a limited budget) that I hate to see these “old souls” get taken apart and recut.

Last edited:

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Beautiful-disaster,
Concerning the bracelet, I looked up Smith and Singer and it looks to be a super reputable auction house and used to be Sotheby's Australia. Smith and Singer did just lose their head of the jewelry department to rival auction house Leonard Joel. I think it would be worth it to consider Leonard Joel as well. Leonard Joel will do an online valuation or a free valuation in person. https://www.leonardjoel.com.au/valuations/
I think that you, your sister, and your aunt(if she can) should go take the bracelet there in person. I think that they will be a good place to start.
Sometimes these things take time to sell so it would not hurt to get the ball rolling. I think now is a good time to sell due to the popularity and high prices from Christie's Maharajas and Mughal Magnificence sale from last year,

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with Chrono and leave well alone. I wish we could have seen it set because it's amazing how different stones can look in a setting. It "might" be worth asking one of our lapidaries who have commented above to have a look. Sometimes, a recut may take too much weight and then you have to think about value -v- weight loss. I have a 4ct Paraiba Tourmaline with a similar cut and to get it custom cut to look exceptionally beautiful I would have ended up with a stone under 3ct (probably nearer to 2.5ct) so I decided not to bother and I love it's wonkiness!

collier

Shiny_Rock
Wow! What a stone and such a fabulous piece. Like thegarnetgirl said, I would never part with it. If it were me, I would have the original setting repaired and rock it as the magnificent pendant it was. There is a reason people commented on it. Like many here, I love a big cocktail ring but a pendant is so practical and will protect that beautiful stone from excessive wear.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than a gia report and an inspection and polishing, I so vote for keeping as is. And honestly I like the original pendant and would see if it could be repaired competently or if not set into something with a similar feel. Hopefully u will be able to sell the (also beautiful) bracelet enough to feel comfortable keeping the piece in your family. I also agree it looks like a natural stone. It is odd the family didn't think it was worth much.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Yes, as well. At best, a polish to clean it up a smidge.

Other than a gia report and an inspection and polishing, I so vote for keeping as is. And honestly I like the original pendant and would see if it could be repaired competently or if not set into something with a similar feel. Hopefully u will be able to sell the (also beautiful) bracelet enough to feel comfortable keeping the piece in your family. I also agree it looks like a natural stone. It is odd the family didn't think it was worth much.

It came from my fathers mother who died when he was young. My father gave it to my mother and he passed away when I was 19. Over 20 yrs ago now.... so my mother never really knew it’s story and had assumed it wasn’t worth anything. I’m certain she wouldn’t have given it to me had she known! Lols
It does mean more to me then it would anyone else as it connects me to my father.
Thankyou for your wonderful message

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Just to echo @chrono, I would leave it be also. Some collectors of antique jewelry pieces may not favor a recut since originality is important to the “authenticity” of the piece, so recutting can lead to a potential drop in price for that niche of antique jewelry buyers. I think it’s beautiful as is—older stones have a “wonky” cut that to me is quite lovable and echoes the era during which it was made.

Being a novice collector of antique jewelry myself, I personally would prefer an original gem (even that with a “native” cut) than something recut with modern standards. I also hesitate myself to put old stones in new settings and vice versa, since in my very humble and personal opinion doing so looks “off” to me. Maybe I’m alone in feeling so strongly this way, but seeing what I call “Frankenstein” mashups of incongruent era clashing stones and settings always makes me a little sad, although I understand that many (most?) others won’t feel the same way. To me, it’s so hard finding an old stone in its original setting to begin with (especially with a limited budget) that I hate to see these “old souls” get taken apart and recut.

This gave me a lot to think about Thankyou.
I do feel it’s a real treasure which also makes me feel like I need to do the right thing by it.
I also think it’s very beautiful in it’s beaten down state but that maybe because I feel the same way so I relate to it
I will have a look into having it restored - I was looking at some lovely recuts yesterday But was disturbed by the reduction in size.
I have never cared for *perfect* stones as they tend to look a little fake to my eye but got talked into a perfect diamond for my engagement ring rather then the large slightly off colour one I had chosen. It meant the stone is 1/3 of the size.
I love the whole ring rather then the stone now and as I never take it off it was probably the most practical choice. Thanyou for taking the time to have a look and give me your opinion x

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful-disaster,
Concerning the bracelet, I looked up Smith and Singer and it looks to be a super reputable auction house and used to be Sotheby's Australia. Smith and Singer did just lose their head of the jewelry department to rival auction house Leonard Joel. I think it would be worth it to consider Leonard Joel as well. Leonard Joel will do an online valuation or a free valuation in person. https://www.leonardjoel.com.au/valuations/
I think that you, your sister, and your aunt(if she can) should go take the bracelet there in person. I think that they will be a good place to start.
Sometimes these things take time to sell so it would not hurt to get the ball rolling. I think now is a good time to sell due to the popularity and high prices from Christie's Maharajas and Mughal Magnificence sale from last year,

Thankyou so much.
I let my sister take it to Brisbane with her as I didn’t want it left in my house when I was going over seas for a few months.
So I will get her to bring it back down (now she is allowed to) and we will get it into the auction house.
I really appreciate your info because I did reach out to Smith and singer a few weeks ago but didn’t hear back which I thought was strange as I heard back from Sourtherby’s in two days.
But the info you have makes sense.
I will contact the second house and see if they would like an independent valuation or sometimes I know they prefer to do it themselves. Thankyou so much for your time! The bracelet has been a frustrating situation trying to find out information on it when there is so little like it out there. It took me two weeks to convince myself I was looking at something that was incredibly rare.
I honestly can’t believe my grandmother wasn’t making up the story of the Arabian Prince
I feel bad for thinking she was crazy ‍♀️

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTOH, if you truly need the money, you need the money.

As others have said about the sapphire, I think you will need to invest some money to: 1) know what you have; and 2) prepare to sell. That could be a lot of hours and maybe those are hours you could better spend making money. A "polish" -- taking off just enough to clean up the abrasions at the meet-points -- is surprisingly affordable. But I could see you spending close to $1,000 learning about and optimizing that stone. I'm fairly certain you'd get your money back when/if you sell but maybe not the hours it will take someone who is unfamiliar with the process.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Wow that was some fascinating reading. Thankyou for that!
I can’t see an immediate connection as my Grandmother spent most of her life living in Sydney. I will definitely have a look into what he was up to when he was here! She just passed away during the lockdown. She was 89 so they were similar in years. If she was up to something and kept it on the downlow it wouldn’t surprise me one bit as I only just discovered at her memorial that she got married to my Grandfather at 17 against her parents wishes and had my mother at 19 which was VERY unheard of in those days. She divorced pretty early and spent many years traveling with girlfriends on shopping sprees in Singapore, HongKong, and Europe. Then remarried a man with no kids who spent the rest of his life doting on her - getting gem dealers to visit them at home and picking out the best jewels and making her pieces. She was a matriarch and grand dame - like from the days of Golden Hollywood. Always had perfect hair, makeup and nails.

Obviously her life was even more interesting then I would have believed.
Thankyou again for the lead!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love both of the pieces you posted and am with the rest re: it being a natural and possibly unheated sapphire based on the lines. And the bracelet is a beauty! Oh my goodness like museum quality piece so pls don’t break it up.

If you choose to recut the sapphire, try to preserve the carat weight. The value of a 8 ct sapphire is very different from a 5-6 ct one. I’ll also try to get an origin report as there is good chance it’s from a desired origin which will give it a much better price. Premium of stones from desired origin can be significantly higher. Others have already given very good advice so that’s all but pls post more pics if you can.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bonhams auction house has an international presence and has representatives in both Melbourne and Sydney. LINK

Here are the results of their recent jewelry auction held in Sydney LINK Not a lot of pieces for sure, but some of them are quite valuable. If they don't think the bracelet would find the right buyer in Australia, they might offer to auction it in London or NY.

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Ok I’m back.... and very frustrated with my mother!!
Yhe fact she didn’t think the sapphire was valuable had stuck in my mind the last few days - so I got out some of her old stuff and started looking through it with a differnet eye.
Her moonstone necklace no longer looks like plastic to me... lol (never liked it)..... and have just discovers the Rolex she dismissed as a good fake - is a real Oyster perpetual Date Just with diamonds!!
What the hell?
She is lucky I didn’t junk it because it had so much weight and looked like such good quality.
I do have another one which is a fake but I wore it anyway because it was just perfect for me - size colour etc - but there is obviously a big difference.
Plus I have a real one from somewhere between 1920 and 1940 .... which I’m discovering will probably cost the same to fix as it would be worth in the end - which is sad really.
I have included photos for you.
Going to see if I can get some pictures of the moonstones in the sun today andsome outdoor pics of the saphhire and bracelet.
I hate to think about the stuff I already got rid of in the past because I was told it was worthless. My mother had a funny idea of what *worthless* was in her world! So who wants to play spot the (incredibly obvious) fake Rolex???

oh and on a creepy note the Rolex is working. It hasn’t been worn or used for at least 15yrs.
(unfortunately the really old one has been overwound from what I can tell). 4679BE9D-BFB1-426F-A47E-D68B6CDDEFFA.jpeg A0288915-E20C-443A-9636-21216AE5EFCE.jpeg 7C6088BA-6074-48EE-B9F4-0D4CADB4149A.jpeg 9D46DE9C-5DA5-4565-AD2F-9A0C92EA89C6.jpeg 656428D1-5B6B-4210-89E9-024C437ECC5D.jpeg EBF419CC-9885-4244-9049-E59E1B166C0E.jpeg

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
This is pretty exhausting I have to say. First I started researching the emerald bracelet, then the sapphire, then the moonstones and now the Rolex’s. - just as well it interests me because I think I found a new hobby - but the search is endless

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results