shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with OEC diamond please!

atsirk

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I'm new to learning all about diamonds and have been reading a lot on here :)

I want to design my e-ring with my boyfriend, and need help choosing a diamond!
I really want an OEC solitaire, 6-prong with YG band with platinum prongs.

My budget all in is round 6K CAD (~4800 USD).

I am in contact with a local jeweller and after chatting with them, they sent me this GIA report for a diamond they can source.

Can anyone help me in deciphering this, and what a good diamond would be in my price range? It's hard to decide without seeing it in person!
I'm hoping because the band in YG I can get away with a K/L colored diamond.

I'm open to getting a lab diamond or moissanite too, was just hoping for antique OEC first :)

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 5336633643.pdf
    990.6 KB · Views: 44

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi, to judge old cuts, you will need photographs, ideally multiple, as well as video. I will say that the report for the stone you are looking at indicates that it has a very tiny table, which is a desirable feature of that type of stone. It's a bit deeper than what some people prefer, and you are losing a lot of your face up weight because it is an over 70% depth, but these stones are deeper by nature.

However, these types of stones are best purchased with viewing them with your eyes, rather than focusing on the numbers.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @atsirk ,

Unfortunately, you cant pick OECs by numbers. You have to see images and hopefully videos of them. Aset images would also be
helpful.

You might try these sites

If you see anything you are interested in you can ask to put it on hold, provide the link and ask for opinions.
People don't like to download items on their computers so you might want to capture an image and post the image.

You could also post a WTB (wanted to Buy) in our Pre-loved section and see if anyone here has anything that would fit your
bill.

Good luck...keep us posted!

Ditto @elizat

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hello — hope to see you post pics soon. In the meantime here are some threads featuring K colored diamonds.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/

Here is my K color OEC in 14k yellow gold.

F1A59C41-D58C-4212-8AAC-7DE92DA590FB.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think you can go to K/L in an old cut, easily. You may see some tint but if it is cut well, probably only from the side. I have a K color OEC and face up it looks very white to me and it is in platinum. Here is a photo.
photo 5.JPG

and here is an L OEC in a yellow gold bezel

bezel6.jpg

if you click on the photos they are larger and possibly more clear.

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I absolutely adore OECs. If you are drawn to them, it’s absolutely worth putting in the effort to find one you love. As others have said, you really have to judge them with your eyes. I actually prefer warm diamonds over whiter ones. Here is my M color OEC. The table is 51% and the depth is 64.7%.

8D0F1430-5BCA-400A-BBE1-FF43A7547830.jpeg

atsirk

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your posts and comments! I will get better at posting here and learn the format :) All of your rings are so beautiful!

Here is the GIA report in an IMGUR file:
In terms of videos - this is what the jeweller has sent me (not the stone listed above, just some examples they sent along):

Do y'all choose a stone based off these types of videos?

The jeweller told me that they very rarely get in a good cut OEC diamond over 1 C in their collection, so if I wanted to order it in to view it would cost hundreds of dollars. The problem of limited supply in Canada :(

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of he SI2, the inclusion at 2 o’clock will be visible.
I like the other one. It is out of round and has a very large culet. Those are personal preference items so make sure you are comfortable with that.
I does the jeweler have a good return policy if you order it and don’t like it?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your posts and comments! I will get better at posting here and learn the format :) All of your rings are so beautiful!

Here is the GIA report in an IMGUR file:
In terms of videos - this is what the jeweller has sent me (not the stone listed above, just some examples they sent along):

Do y'all choose a stone based off these types of videos?

The jeweller told me that they very rarely get in a good cut OEC diamond over 1 C in their collection, so if I wanted to order it in to view it would cost hundreds of dollars. The problem of limited supply in Canada :(

So your videos and the report are three different stones? Are you evaluating Three? I’m a bit confused

Videos like this are helpful but of course photos/videos in real life environments are too…The L color looks like it had a big chip or something going on with the girdle can someone else weigh in? Or is it just asymmetrical? EBF7D7FC-7EF3-496D-AFB1-9254BF95692C.jpeg

The SI2 in videos has inclusions that would bother me personally

I’d strongly recommend you find some way to host these videos elsewhere as it looks like
Someone’s personal name is listed

atsirk

Rough_Rock
So your videos and the report are three different stones? Are you evaluating Three? I’m a bit confused

Videos like this are helpful but of course photos/videos in real life environments are too…The L color looks like it had a big chip or something going on with the girdle can someone else weigh in? Or is it just asymmetrical? EBF7D7FC-7EF3-496D-AFB1-9254BF95692C.jpeg

The SI2 in videos has inclusions that would bother me personally

I’d strongly recommend you find some way to host these videos elsewhere as it looks like
Someone’s personal name is listed

I'm sorry if I seem all over the place.... The local jeweller I'm in contact with basically sent me a bunch of different reports and stones when I told them what I was looking for in my budget (6000 CAD budget, wanting the largest stone I can get that is of decent quality and I don't mind K/L color). I don't know how to compare stones so I was hoping in this post people could direct me to resources to learn (or their own thought patterns in evaluation).

I'm basically in the analysis paralysis stage - I have no idea how to read these reports for OEC and discern what would actually be good. My concern is that I will go ahead with a stone they recommend and then as I learn more over the years not be happy with the decision..

Here in Canada we still have COVID restrictions so seeing in person is really difficult, and a lot of stores don't have 1+ C in their inventory. So they go off photos and videos that other diamond warehouses have in stock. It seems like from most of these comments that seeing in person and getting more photos/videos is really key.

Googling that contact, I can see it's a store in the diamond district on NY that other jewellers can purchase loose stones from. I'm happy to remove the links for their confidentiality :) I just feel a bit overwhelmed at the process only seeing a few photos and close up videos with GIA reports trying to understand it all.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry if I seem all over the place.... The local jeweller I'm in contact with basically sent me a bunch of different reports and stones when I told them what I was looking for in my budget (6000 CAD budget, wanting the largest stone I can get that is of decent quality and I don't mind K/L color). I don't know how to compare stones so I was hoping in this post people could direct me to resources to learn (or their own thought patterns in evaluation).

I'm basically in the analysis paralysis stage - I have no idea how to read these reports for OEC and discern what would actually be good. My concern is that I will go ahead with a stone they recommend and then as I learn more over the years not be happy with the decision..

Here in Canada we still have COVID restrictions so seeing in person is really difficult, and a lot of stores don't have 1+ C in their inventory. So they go off photos and videos that other diamond warehouses have in stock. It seems like from most of these comments that seeing in person and getting more photos/videos is really key.

Googling that contact, I can see it's a store in the diamond district on NY that other jewellers can purchase loose stones from. I'm happy to remove the links for their confidentiality :) I just feel a bit overwhelmed at the process only seeing a few photos and close up videos with GIA reports trying to understand it all.

Don’t panic - many of us buy stones sight unseen, myself included! All I can say is, don’t rush. Your stone is out there! Even if jeweler only send you a few don’t feel like they are your only options.

Is buying from a US vendor out of the question? I’m not sure how duties are but there are a number of incredible vendors who would likely have something in your budget like Jewels by Grace and Old World Diamonds

These videos are super helpful - it’s ideal if you can see others but that’s ok.

Reading reports alone won’t tell you everything. I’m not good at the numbers - but I’d encourage you to look at other threads on Pricescope to get a sense for things you like and don’t like, and roughly for numbers.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We can totally help you find a great OEC in your budget.

Here’s one: it’s a bit deep, but I think it’s beautiful, and they can make the ring you’ve described.

Here’s one with a very small crown:

Here’s one with less height in the crown, but lovely character:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahaha I loooove that F/SI2 and I'd buy that one in a heartbeat but I am a known transitional cut devotee. (When you see an "OEC" with a depth <60%, a table >55%, and good symmetry, it's often a transitional cut - not good or bad, just different, but generally lacks the "poofy crown" so beloved by OEC fans, trading away the fire that comes from a high crown for better white light return.) I would not find those inclusions eye-noticeable, even if they were technically visible by inspection! I am lucky not to be clarity-sensitive.

The downside to a true OEC cut is that all that depth compromises the visible diameter. You definitely *will* notice a difference between a 7.2mm and a 6.4mm diamond.

But, Adam at OWD helped me find my stone (sent me a few to look at, which was easier because I'm in the US so no duties/border weirdness) after I turned out to be really attracted to optical symmetry and fluorescence, unbeknownst to me, but when I compared the several he sent it was absolutely 100% clear which I preferred. He was really very kind and patient and helpful.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think you can go to K/L in an old cut, easily. You may see some tint but if it is cut well, probably only from the side. I have a K color OEC and face up it looks very white to me and it is in platinum. Here is a photo.
photo 5.JPG

bezel6.jpg

Oh man those are both so gorgeous. It’s nice to see @Tourmaline ’s stone again too. Swoon!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
photo 5.JPG

bezel6.jpg

Love that setting.

atsirk

Rough_Rock
Hi there!
I took a break on searching for my diamond with my local jeweller during the summer… inventory is all different now for OEC!

they sent me a beautiful stone but it’s $9000 and a bit more than we are willing to spend :( ideally wanting to keep it under $5000 CAD
What do you think of this 1.12 C, L VS2 OEC?
Gia report here:
Thanks

EDIT: I was sent this video too. I don’t mind the warmth but the video seems so blurry to me to discern

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi there!
I took a break on searching for my diamond with my local jeweller during the summer… inventory is all different now for OEC!

they sent me a beautiful stone but it’s $9000 and a bit more than we are willing to spend :( ideally wanting to keep it under $5000 CAD
Gia report here:
Thanks

EDIT: I was sent this video too. I don’t mind the warmth but the video seems so blurry to me to discern

You can do better… the video shows darkness in the center, which you are going to get at least a little with a true antique OEC, but you can probably find one with a little more brightness in the middle.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock

Where are you in CA, @atsirk? It’s a hassle, but if you find a diamond you really like, you can have it shipped to you from the US—there are no tariffs on stones or rings originating from the US, just GST/PST. The best way to do it is to set up an account with FedEx and give them your CC #, that way you don’t pay anything to FedEx but the $19 brokerage fee (if they don’t have your CC they charge you a % of the money the “loaned” you).

There are quite a few folks here with incredible talent to indenting gorgeous OECs—I’m sure they’ll be able to help you find the right stone.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
It’s very deep-looks like it may have fish eye…

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
What about this one?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi there!

Gia report here:
Thanks

It’s too deep and goes dark in the center

It’s also terribly expensive to me, even accounting for conversion

atsirk

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for the replies! I'm finding PS way more helpful than this local jeweller I am working with (which is disappointing given their reviews).

They keep sending me diamonds which y'all can point out flaws in very quickly.

@ksluice - I am in SW Ontario close to Toronto. It's a great option thank you for letting me know how to do this. I just worry about having to do this multiple times and "getting it right" on the first try. Why I feel a little overwhelmed right now.

@lulu_ma - thank you for sending a recommendation! I think going shy of 1 C might be what I do to get a better quality stone in my budget.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for the replies! I'm finding PS way more helpful than this local jeweller I am working with (which is disappointing given their reviews).

They keep sending me diamonds which y'all can point out flaws in very quickly.

@ksluice - I am in SW Ontario close to Toronto. It's a great option thank you for letting me know how to do this. I just worry about having to do this multiple times and "getting it right" on the first try. Why I feel a little overwhelmed right now.

@lulu_ma - thank you for sending a recommendation! I think going shy of 1 C might be what I do to get a better quality stone in my budget.

This might not be feasible but Toronto is a short flight to NYC. Maybe you could visit Old World Diamonds for 1-2days as a special trip! Granted it adds to cost…I wish I had done this!

I will say, I’d probably just call Old World Diamonds and tell them what you are after. They are very helpful and can help demystify some of this and choose from their inventory if you show them examples of what you you like

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly suggest contacting old world diamonds (as others have said). The options from your local jeweler dont seem great, and are overpriced IMHO.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock

Totally understand this!! There is an added pressure of the hassle with cross border returns and such, so I do get it. I’ve been in this struggle myself for the last year, so I sympathize.

Three of observations from my own process that might be useful (maybe they won’t apply to you, but this is how it unfolded for me): the antique cut folks here are great at IDing a good stone, which really helped me learn my own preferences. If you’re not quite sure what you like yourself, reading old posts of a journey from finding an OEC to getting and setting it, is also extremely useful and educational. And at a certain point, you’ll feel confident in your preferences to know when you see the right stone, and that will be the one, which makes the idea of shipping it from the US less intimidating.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to mention

This is a modern cut stone with a vintage flair (they have others too) - it’s cut just like an Old European Cut

They are basically optically perfect so it takes some of the mystery out of it

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to mention

This is a modern cut stone with a vintage flair (they have others too) - it’s cut just like an Old European Cut

They are basically optically perfect so it takes some of the mystery out of it

I was just about to post about Distinctive Gem. Since you are open to lab diamonds, you can get a custom cut LG OEC and it will have edge to edge light return. And going with Lab Grown diamond, you would not be sacrificing any of the 4 Cs to stay in budget. See this one below. It is on sale!

G VVS1 Lab Grown OEC

atsirk

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone! I am definitely going to look into LG OEC from Distinctive Gem and reach out to Old World Diamonds.

@Cerulean - going to NY is my dream! I would 100% do that if it was not for this pandemic :( the Canadian government makes travelling very difficult and expensive, and from my friends who have left the country say it is not worth the hassle and $ because of all the tests etc. you need to return. One day I will do this and hopefully have a bigger budget to get a really big diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results