shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with my small paraiba flower ring.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a lot of you know that I picked up a small paraiba tourmaline from Yvonne Raley a couple months back. When I saw Mochiko's gorgeous picture of some pink Burmese spinel melee next to a green / blue paraiba, I knew I had to grab some of those spinel too. :love:

Here are the dimensions of my .64 ct paraiba: 6.2 x 4.8 x 3.4
The spinel melee are 2mm each
image_4316.jpg

I knew I wanted a flower type ring with this paraiba and the pink melee (the paraiba melee with be used with the 1ct paraiba at a later date). :naughty: As always, I reached out to David Klass with a couple inspiration pics. I saw this gorgeous ring he made recently and fell in love with the engraving detail.

image_4317.jpg
image_4318.jpg

He sent me the first run of CADs
image_4320.jpg

I have already requested a couple changes:
- slightly thinner band (it will be engraved so I don't know how thin it can actually be).
- slightly thinner line around the outside of the ring (that line around the melee)

I have planned to put the ring in rose gold. It would be my first rose gold piece so I'm a little nervous. Do you think the colors will work well?

I'd love any input you guys want to share. The CAD process is difficult and definitely hard for me to visualize. :shock:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion the combination of rose gold, pink melee and the Paraiba center will look great. Why don't you ask David to snap some pics with rose gold metal and your stones to give you an idea.

I also see a platinum band in the CAD. Will you have a matching band made as well?

I am not experienced in reading CAD's but I perhaps would tilt the halo downward a bit (a downward slope).

Enjoy the process!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1458394510|4007799 said:
In my opinion the combination of rose gold, pink melee and the Paraiba center will look great. Why don't you ask David to snap some pics with rose gold metal and your stones to give you an idea.

I also see a platinum band in the CAD. Will you have a matching band made as well?

I am not experienced in reading CAD's but I perhaps would tilt the halo downward a bit (a downward slope).

Enjoy the process!

Thank you Acinom!
I will ask him for a picture (why didn't I think of that :wall: ).
I'm not getting a band made with it. He wanted to make sure that my band would sit flush with it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David is so accomodating. I am sure he will do it for you (and while he is at it: let him put a piece of platinum with the stones as well so you can compare)
I am already looking forward to see the result. I love your stones and I love the inspiration ring :love: :love: :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely design Elle, I'm looking forward to more progress pics!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see the finished ring!

DK :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Can't wait to watch this come to life!!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A flower ring for my little pariaba and neon pink spinels was one I was also considering. I opted to go a different route only because my paraiba was smaller and I wanted more finger coverage. So I will get to see how yours turns out and drool!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be a beautiful ring! :) I can't wait to see the finished piece.

S

SparkliesLuver

I don't really have anything to add, elle, except maybe making it an open profile underneath (and that's more of a personal preference anyway). I think the changes you've asked for are good ones. I look forward to seeing the finished ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is going to turn out gorgeous. Given that the pink melees are rather dark compared to the Paraiba melees, I'm not sure I would go with rose gold. I agree with Acinom about requesting David to photograph the melees next to the rose gold he plans to use. Are you doing 14K RG or 18K RG? The reason I ask is because the rose gold will amp up and darken the pink melees. If going with rose gold, I would look for lighter melees, otherwise I would probably stay with PT.

With this design, I probably would not tilt the halo. I would also consider a slightly more open gallery for ease of cleaning and CS loves extra light too.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1458649351|4009299 said:
This ring is going to turn out gorgeous. Given that the pink melees are rather dark compared to the Paraiba melees, I'm not sure I would go with rose gold. I agree with Acinom about requesting David to photograph the melees next to the rose gold he plans to use. Are you doing 14K RG or 18K RG? The reason I ask is because the rose gold will amp up and darken the pink melees. If going with rose gold, I would look for lighter melees, otherwise I would probably stay with PT.

With this design, I probably would not tilt the halo. I would also consider a slightly more open gallery for ease of cleaning and CS loves extra light too.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I have contacted David and asked him to open up the gallery a little bit, as you guys have suggested.

Chrono, I am not using the paraiba melee, for this project. I am only using the pink spinel melee. Do you think the rose gold will affect the color of my paraiba negatively? I would be using 14k rose gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1458735288|4009766 said:
Chrono, I am not using the paraiba melee, for this project. I am only using the pink spinel melee. Do you think the rose gold will affect the color of my paraiba negatively? I would be using 14k rose gold.
From a personal preference standpoint, I think the darker tone of the pink spinel melees will overpower the oval paraiba, and with it set in 14K RG, which is redder, will further amp up the melees. The paraiba will love the rose gold.

kangaroocrazy

Rough_Rock
Elle this is going to be gorgeous!!

That was my ring and I am glad you love it!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kangaroocrazy|1458768891|4010062 said:
Elle this is going to be gorgeous!!

That was my ring and I am glad you love it!!

That was yours? Seriously stunning piece. :love:
I hope you start a thread on it. I would love to see more pictures. :D

kangaroocrazy

Rough_Rock
Elle,..thank you.
I would be happy to send them to you if you give me your email address!!
They are OEC moissy so I cant show it here!!

ohhhhhhhhhh I also had him make matching earrings that are AMAZING!!! :love:

Those are diamonds.
I wonder if I can post a picture of the earrings if the ring is in the picture???

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kangaroocrazy|1458785971|4010177 said:
Elle,..thank you.
I would be happy to send them to you if you give me your email address!!
They are OEC moissy so I cant show it here!!

ohhhhhhhhhh I also had him make matching earrings that are AMAZING!!! :love:

Those are diamonds.
I wonder if I can post a picture of the earrings if the ring is in the picture???

Once you said moissy, I knew just what forum they would be on (it's been a while since I've been on and it looks like they moved to a new location). I saw your earrings over there...so jealous. :mrgreen: They are freaking gorgeous.
I couldn't find the ring but maybe I just have to figure out how to navigate a bit (I know what I'll be doing at work today :naughty: ).

kangaroocrazy

Rough_Rock
I have not put it on yet I believe!!
I will let you know when I do!!

And thank you!!

I am soooooooooo jelly of your stone you will be using!! I can WAIT to see it!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kangaroocrazy|1458839100|4010415 said:
I have not put it on yet I believe!!
I will let you know when I do!!

And thank you!!

I am soooooooooo jelly of your stone you will be using!! I can WAIT to see it!!

As my beautiful niece says..."don't be Smuckers!" :mrgreen:
I'm both excited and terrified. I love the color of the paraiba so much and I would hate to make a ring that doesn't do it justice.

I do have a slightly larger paraiba that I plan to set in the same style that SparkliesLuver used for hers. That ring is the stuff dreams are made of. :drool:

I can't wait until you post your ring (elsewhere) so I can admire more pics. :naughty:

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't wait to see the final result! The dreamy Paraiba color with pink is going to be.. ahhhhh. Gorgeous.

I've been mildly obsessed with Paraiba cabs lately. They remind me of candy or something. So dreamy.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could use some help with these cads. DK sent me this one first (same as cad above):

image_4320.jpg

He sent these cads (more of a 3d style) after I asked him to reduce the band to a 2mm.
image_4348.jpg

Although I did like the cads, in the first drawing style, I didn't love them in the 3d style. I feel like there may be too much open space around the pink melee. I asked DK to try to close up that extra space a bit to see if I would like it more.

I got these new drawing style cads. I like that there is less open space around the melee but am afraid I messed with the flower shape.
image_4349.jpg

What do you guys think? Any thoughts? :wavey:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I am not good at reading CADs, so hopefully someone will chime in soon. But, it does look like the third CAD has a wider shank again. I think I prefer the second CAD with a slimmer shank and more pronounced flower shape- and I'm assuming you also asked for the decrease in ring size to a 5 rather than the 5.5 on the previous ones.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1459256139|4012502 said:
I am not good at reading CADs, so hopefully someone will chime in soon. But, it does look like the third CAD has a wider shank again. I think I prefer the second CAD with a slimmer shank and more pronounced flower shape- and I'm assuming you also asked for the decrease in ring size to a 5 rather than the 5.5 on the previous ones.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the 3rd CAD has a wider shank too. I already emailed DK about that.
I did ask for the size 5. I'm actually a 4.5 but my knuckles swell up and I want to be able to get it on and off. I'm having a spring insert put in so it's a bit more snug at the base, of my finger.

I like the more pronounced flower shape of CADs 1 & 2 but I'm not sure how I feel about all the extra "empty" space around each of the melee. Do you think it would look weird?

S

SparkliesLuver

elle, do you have any way of circling what you're talking about when you say extra space? I think I know, but I want to make sure before commenting.

ETA: attachment. The red lines are the area that I think you might be talking about. Is that correct? I see metal where the red lines are. To me, this addition makes the ring look like a center stone with a halo as opposed to a more flower-esque shape like the one on the left. Is that what you see/think too?

_36877.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1459258490|4012514 said:
elle, do you have any way of circling what you're talking about when you say extra space? I think I know, but I want to make sure before commenting.

Sadly, I don't. I see the open space best in CAD # 2 (which had that 3d style). Around each of the melee is a lot of space (where the gold will be showing). I hope I explained that better. Since I've never seen anything like that in person, I'm not sure how it would look. I'm afraid of it looking like a stone was just stuck in the middle of a pit or something.
Is that the space you're thinking of?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1459258490|4012514 said:

ETA: attachment. The red lines are the area that I think you might be talking about. Is that correct? I see metal where the red lines are. To me, this addition makes the ring look like a center stone with a halo as opposed to a more flower-esque shape like the one on the left. Is that what you see/think too?

Check you out! I love you guys can do on the computer.. :shock:

This is not the space I was talking about. I was worried about the open space (from CAD#2) and asked DK if he could close up some of the open space. He sent me CAD# 3, which has those metal lines going all the way to the base. I agree that it seems to take away from the flower shape but I wanted your opinions.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
31931-4.jpg

Ok, don't judge to harshly. I tried to show you where I am talking about. I used a pink color.

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Elle, I will let others speak to the CAD drawings, as I have no experience with them. I did like someone's suggestion to tilt the petals downward, that would seem more fluid to me...not sure if that has already been applied yet to the design.

S

SparkliesLuver

Oooooooo, okay. I follow you now, elle. See, that's why our primitive ways work. ;-)

I'd ask him the measurements of that space - is it .5mm or 1mm? Because, honestly, it might look like a lot in the CADs but in real life it'll hardly be noticeable. Also, are you doing milgrain halos for the melee? The space might also be that way so there's enough room to add that finishing detail. *I also think you should tell him you want that area to look exactly like your inspiration photo. Since he did that one, I think he'll totally understand.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1459260608|4012530 said:
Oooooooo, okay. I follow you now, elle. See, that's why our primitive ways work. ;-)

I'd ask him the measurements of that space - is it .5mm or 1mm? Because, honestly, it might look like a lot in the CADs but in real life it'll hardly be noticeable. Also, are you doing milgrain halos for the melee? The space might also be that way so there's enough room to add that finishing detail. *I also think you should tell him you want that area to look exactly like your inspiration photo. Since he did that one, I think he'll totally understand.

I also assumed the extra space was for the milgraining as in the inspiration photo. Is that curving all the way in what you want or do you want it more scalloped instead?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results