shape
carat
color
clarity

help with mom''s damaged setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
my mom has a 4 prong "tiffany-style" RB solitaire engagement ring that was made of silver. she broke two prongs on it the other day cleaning and had to have the ring cut off to remove it before the stone fell out. i have a few questions:

what is the cheapest 4 prong white metal solitaire for a RB (<0.5 ct) and where can she get it? i saw a few at PS vendors for about $225 that were white gold....but wanted to know if that was the cheapest option.

will a white gold ring look different (noticeably) from the silver band she has? i''m guessing it will appear slightly more yellow - but does anyone know for sure? she doesn''t want to get rid of the silver wedding band b/c of the sentimental attachment she has to it and the fact that it would have to be cut off. it hasn''t left her hand in 40 years. but she''d like the set to match.

is there any place that will make a 4 prong silver solitaire setting like she has already?

would it be possible just to repair the ring that was cut off, resize it larger, and fix the two damaged prongs? what options would she have for that? would the cost be comparable to that of buying a new white gold setting? if at all possible she''d like to salvage the engagement ring she has for the same reasons she wants to keep the band.

i mentioned something to her about getting a new set since my dad would be happy to do it for her and they''ve been married for 40 years (seems like a significant milestone). but she wants exactly what she has now if it can be saved.

thanks for your help!

Kissingfish

Rough_Rock
I don''t know where you are, but I am certain that you can take it to certain jewelers who will fix the ring she currently has..

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How old is the silver solitaire setting, if it is 40 years plus then maybe it is time for a new one, if two prongs broke the other two will most likely be on their way out too.

Maybe one of the experts will chime in here about this to say what would be best.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
If 2 prongs broke, that is a sign to me that the others are going, too. What about keeping the band part of it and putting a white gold head to hold the diamond on that? Talk to a jeweler... this sounds very fixable.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
how about a nice silver band and a platinum peg head?

can you post a picture of the wedding band and the ring that broke?

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you''ll find anyone willing to set a diamond in silver-too risky. I''d just go with 14kt white gold as I think that would be the safest and cheapest alternative. No offense, but is it a diamond? I just have never heard of one being set in silver. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bet that it is not silver if it lasted 40 years. Have a jeweler check the metal to be sure.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
That''s what I''m thinking. White gold was very popular 40 yrs ago, so I''m thinking it''s likely that.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
thanks for your responses. it is a diamond - not a very good one, i think my parents were like 20 when they got married and a mortgage was the big priority. i''ve never really seen it up close until i looked at it out of the setting - it was really dirty and looked like it had a black hole in it. but she still loves it and him so i guess that is all that matters. my sister and i suggested an upgrade about 5 times and she totally dismissed the idea.

it is definitely silver. they couldn''t afford white gold or yellow gold at the time. and i looked at the prongs closer tonight - all four looked very warped and are probably useless as you all stated. sounds like she was lucky it lasted as long as it did.

she liked the idea of a new head on the old band that was suggested. so she is going to call the jeweler my engagement ring was from to discuss that idea further.

i''ll try to take a picture again when i am there tomorrow night and post.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A Creative Suggestion.....

I wish I were good at graphics, but I'm not...... so I'll attempt to write this so it can hopefully be understood.

General Note: Is the silver ring is 40 years old, chances are it's worn pretty thin, so the option of a new ring, isn't such a bad recommendation.

I am assuming her main reason is the sentimentality that the meaning of the original ring has for her. Making 40 years and having your Dad get her a new ring could be very meaningful if it is presented with the thought of : " The first 40 went so well, that here's to a new 40" . Then have him take her on a new honeymoon.

As for the old silver ring.

1. Cut out the setting ( prong portion )
2. Bend the old shank into a heart shape and solder the ends where you cut the setting out.
3. She can put that on a neck chain ( or charm bracelet) and still keep it and all the sentiment
( Hope you can picture/visualize what I am describing)

( another option is to solder "40" in numerals in it too.)

Rockdoc

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2006 1:19:24 AM
Author: RockDoc
A Creative Suggestion.....

I wish I were good at graphics, but I''m not...... so I''ll attempt to write this so it can hopefully be understood.

General Note: Is the silver ring is 40 years old, chances are it''s worn pretty thin, so the option of a new ring, isn''t such a bad recommendation.

I am assuming her main reason is the sentimentality that the meaning of the original ring has for her. Making 40 years and having your Dad get her a new ring could be very meaningful if it is presented with the thought of : '' The first 40 went so well, that here''s to a new 40'' . Then have him take her on a new honeymoon.

As for the old silver ring.

1. Cut out the setting ( prong portion )
2. Bend the old shank into a heart shape and solder the ends where you cut the setting out.
3. She can put that on a neck chain ( or charm bracelet) and still keep it and all the sentiment
( Hope you can picture/visualize what I am describing)

( another option is to solder ''40'' in numerals in it too.)

Rockdoc
I LOVE that idea Rockdoc!! So sweet and sentimental!

*M*

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Poptart

Just hope tiddy and her Mom like that suggestion too.

Here's another idea........ in the 4 and the 0 set forty tiny diamonds in it .....

(Maybe her Dad will like the new honeymoon idea as well).

( innocent look )

Rockdoc

creativity is unlimited if you stop and just think it out.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
All I can say is that I think RockDoc is amazing. What great ideas. Keep us posted on what you decided to do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results