shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with modern setting for cute lil AVC!!

cdolan

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!! I've been lurking and searching for a diamond for the past 6 months or so and have loved reading and learning from so many others processes of buying a diamond and setting! My boyfriend and I are so grateful for finding PS early in our search, otherwise we probably would have naively bought the first ring we saw at a B&M (so glad we didn't!!) - so thank you all for that!

Originally I thought I wanted a modern cushion cut, but after looking at some more diamonds in person, I realized I like the bigger facets and being able to see the geometry and symmetry of the facets so my bf and I decided on an AVC and are in the process of buying a lovely smallish colorless AVC (.75-1 carat AVC) :dance: . Now we need help with a setting!!

To give you some context, we are both architects in Los Angeles in our late 20's, and I'm looking for an understated, simple, but unique solitaire setting. I'm fairly set on some sort of simple platinum bezel setting, but am totally open to suggestions!

The first setting I tried on that I kinda liked was the Danhov Per Lei danhov_per_lei.png
More recently, I saw some pinterest images of a Mark Patterson bezel I really liked in profile mark_patterson.png . I really like the profile of this one and how the "U" that connects the shank to the bezel is flush with the outer perimeter of the bezel, compared to the more (for lack of better words) "floating donut" look of the Danhov ring. After looking more at the Patterson ring images, it looks like this view may be an illusion of perspective and it may also be a "floating donut" situation as well. I also like this modern simplicity of this double shank(?) ring split_shank.jpg , but hard to visualize how an square AVC would look in a setting similar to this.

My question is have you guys ever seen a similar setting to the type of bezel setting shown in the Mark Patterson or double shank images? Will it look too weird with a square AVC as opposed to a round? Anything I am missing, or settings you would suggest based on my AVC and my style that you can think of?

If it helps, our budget for the setting is approx. $1,500 (preferably under $1k), and we would love to have GOG be able to make the setting as well since we will be buying the diamond from them.

Thank you so much, and looking forward to your feedback!! :wavey:

Catherine

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
cdolan|1455511930|3991206 said:
My question is have you guys ever seen a similar setting to the type of bezel setting shown in the Mark Patterson or double shank images? Will it look too weird with a square AVC as opposed to a round? Anything I am missing, or settings you would suggest based on my AVC and my style that you can think of?

Setting your AVC in a custom bezel as shown would look great in my opinion. Since the bezel needs to be custom in order to fit the stone well, the head can be made to whatever profile you'd prefer, (meaning that you can have a slight overhang from the supporting structure or make it flush). Either setting works and is structurally very strong as long as the band and supports are wide enough...maybe 2.5mm to 3mm wide for a 1 carat diamond.
The double shank setting would also look nice, but the AVC has curved sides and so the bands would need to be carved out a bit over the top edges of the diamond in order to get adequate retention area on the diamond, but not cover it too much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results