shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Merelani mint garnet

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi there. I've been stalking PS for a little while and finally joined. I was just acquainted with the Merelani mint garnet (yes, I am a Jonny Come lately). After seeing the amazing posts of this garnet, I knew I had to get my hands on one. I have one in my hot little hands right now and I need help! The stone is supposed to have a blue modifier, but what does that really mean? Is it the undertone of the gemstone or is it the blue light it throws...or is it both? Can someone tell me if this is a good one or not? Here are some photos in different lights:

_36832.jpg

_36833.jpg

_36834.jpg

_36835.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If those photos are accurate, that stone sure looks it has a blue modifier and is lovely! If you think about coloring agents for various greens, they can be more or less influenced by yellow, or more or less influenced by blue. So there are straight greens (I always think of the color of mature grass), yellowish greens and bluish greens. Your stone looks to be over on the blue end of the spectrum.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and of course, welcome! So lovely to have newcomers with beautiful stones. You have good taste. ;))

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I'm new to coloured stones but I definitely see blue, particularly in the second picture. That stone looks lovely!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree that I see blue in the 2nd pic, and it's GORGEOUS! What a lovely piece to start with! I'm excited to see what you do with it, and welcome! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fwiw, I see the blue modifier in every pic. :))

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed...gorgeous and def with a sought after blue modifier.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1458878308|4010741 said:

I do too :)

I think this is a beautiful mint!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a pretty mint! Can't wait to see how you set it!!!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice color, did you get that from PrimaGems?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I wish I could "like" this comment. I see blue in every pic too ;-) It's very pretty.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GregS|1458918190|4010886 said:

Ha! I was wondering the same thing!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
athenaworth|1458921681|4010914 said:
GregS|1458918190|4010886 said:

Ha! I was wondering the same thing!
I ask because I am almost positive I saw this stone at a show and came very close to buying it. The color and cutting were excellent, but I couldn't talk myself into getting a heart shaped stone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone has a definite blue modifier. Thats a great looking stone! So whats the plans for it?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gosh this is gorgeous---I adore heart shapes! :love:

cheers--Sharon

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this stone!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

In gemstones, modifiers are saturation modifiers, which are either gray or brown.

Gemstones are described by 3 components: Hue, Saturation and Tone.

When looking at a stone the correct way to describe the color is the hue. In this case the the primary hue is green. The secondary hue would be blue. In a mint garnet, the modifier would be gray, which would reduce the saturation.

It seems on Pricescope that Saturation on most often confused with Tone.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1458939745|4011067 said:

In gemstones, modifiers are saturation modifiers, which are either gray or brown.

When looking at a stone the correct way to describe the color is the hue. In this case the the primary hue is green. The secondary hue would be blue. In a mint garnet, the modifier would be gray, which would reduce the saturation.

Good to know.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, Gene, it must get really old constantly being the traffic cop :roll:

Yes! Absolutely you are technically correct, and God forbid I should mis-speak and use "modifier" :lol: Bottom line: I am confident that everyone knew what I was trying to say and understood the context - the stone was definitely on the bluish side.

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you all for the great replies and warm welcome! This is really helpful and fun!

Minousbijoux - thank your for the excellent description on color. This helped tremendously!

PrecisionGem - thank you for your education on color, hue and tone. Very educational and interesting.

Endless_summer - your phenomenal mint garnet was the inspiration of my qwest to hunt for one for myself!

Arcadian and Endless_summer - my plans would be to put it in a ring. I would love to see suggestions from anyone on a setting. (Maybe I should create a new post for suggestions).

I hope that there will be more replies throughout the weekend. The garnet is still within the return period, so I would welcome anyone's comments on concerns if they have any.

Looking forward to more feedback!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl_in_green|1458959371|4011195 said:
Wow, thank you all for the great replies and warm welcome! This is really helpful and fun!

I hope that there will be more replies throughout the weekend. The garnet is still within the return period, so I would welcome anyone's comments on concerns if they have any.

Hahaha, are you serious? I think there would be a line of people behind you to buy it should you actually return the stone. The photos sure make it look like a keeper. Is it from Prima?

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
Haha! Yes, I was. I guess I've been burned before, so perhaps I am now overly cautious, but you've convinced me. Yes, it is from Prima. They were terrific to deal with.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1458958057|4011183 said:

Wow, Gene, it must get really old constantly being the traffic cop :roll:

Yes! Absolutely you are technically correct, and God forbid I should mis-speak and use "modifier" :lol: Bottom line: I am confident that everyone knew what I was trying to say and understood the context - the stone was definitely on the bluish side.

I wasnt trying to single you out, yours was just the shortest reply, but there were several others saying the same thing.

Since this is a sophisticated forum about colored stones, i just think it would be good for everyone to have the same understanding of the terms. Often i will get people asking for a stone and saying they want one with a less saturated color. There are a lot of technical terms used here, and quite often used wrong.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the stone, it's a fabulous rare color you often don't see in mints. I have one just like it from Prima. I bought it five years ago and hardly a day goes by that I don't wear it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for the explanation! :)

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
TL and Minousbijoux - thank you for the advice. You have helped me realize that I would be off my rocker not to keep the stone. TL, I found your mint garnet and setting and it is stunning!

GregS - yes, I did get it from Prima. I didn't want to say anything until I decided to keep it. I guess I should thank you for not buying it. :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is the color grades for a mint green garnet with a secondary hue of blue.

The color is called bG, with the small "b" standing for the secondary BLUE and the upper case "G" for the primary color GREEN.

SATURATION goes from left to right, and TONE up and down. The preferred color is called GEM. Anything with a tone of 4 or higher would really be considered a Tsavorite Garnet.

_2607.jpeg

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem - this is awesome and very helpful! Would you mind explaining the numbers, 16 and 2/4? The 4 seems to correspond to saturation, and the 2 tone perhaps. The 16 I have no idea. Yes, I am clearly uneducated in this subject. :(

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, the 2 is the tone, and 4 the saturation in this case. The 16 refers to the hue. In the complete color set used by Gemewizard there are 32 colors. Color 15 would be just Green G with no secondary color. Below 15 would be Green with Yellow as the secondary.

_2634.jpeg

Girl_in_green

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thank you, PrecisionGem, for the education! I've enjoyed it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results