shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with matching some Paraibas for a ring?

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Sooo I've probably definitely been spending way too much time stalking gem dealers on Insta lately, and ended up buying a pair of 5x4mm ovals Paraibas (and a pair of Jedi spinel) last month from Desert Rose. They've literally been sitting on my desk while I work from home every day, so of course I'm constantly browsing setting ideas during the day lol.
IMG_3069.jpg

At first I thought maybe I would set them into earrings or a bypass ring, but then I thought, "Why not make a three-stone ring?!"

....So of course over July 4th weekend, I'm Insta-stalking all the vendors again and Desert Rose posted a 6.4x4mm oval, which I promptly bought. I just received it today, and while the stone itself is a good size, the color is slightly more saturated blue but not as glowy as the pair. Here are some shots of the stones together, but I swear all of these stones are such chameleons; sometimes they all look more on the blue end of the spectrum, other times the smaller pair are more green.

Paraiba Trio 1.jpg
Paraiba Trio 2.jpg
Paraiba Trio 3.jpg

The plan was to either set it into a halo-ed three stone setting similar to elle_71125's or perhaps make a five stone band with diamonds or contrasting colored stones between the Paraibas. Would the difference in shade bother you guys? Would it even matter if it were not directly adjacent to each other?

And just for fun, clockwise starting with the upper left:
(1) 9x7mm Purple tourmaline from Barry Bridgestock (it's more saturated purple/pink than what I can capture in the picture)
(2) 9mm Purple Lab Sapphire from Gene Flannigan
(3) 4.3x3.4mm Jedi red spinels from Desert Rose (the color is so gorgeous, I'm thinking of setting these in a toi et moi type ring)
(4) 2.6mm Rubies from The Gem Trader (super glowy but so tiny!)
Combos.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful gems! Love the 3 stone Paraiba...and from the pictures, the color difference wouldn't bother me since the center stone is more saturated and the two side stones match. If you are concerned, I think that if the center stone being N-S and the sides are E-W, it would distract from the differences and make it look more intentional.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you should do a three-stone with halo, but with all three oriented N-S. I'm not bothered by the minute color difference in the pictures, but you have to gauge if you are bothered by the difference irl. Nope, it wouldn't matter if they weren't directly next to each other, and if you halo them with diamonds like @elle_71125's ring, technically there'd be diamonds between the paraibas, so it matters not one whit that there's a slight difference in shade!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would bezel them individually to separate the stones from being directly next to each other or have some diamonds separating them like the below. This seems very elegant.
3oval2.jpg

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I think you should do a three-stone with halo, but with all three oriented N-S. I'm not bothered by the minute color difference in the pictures, but you have to gauge if you are bothered by the difference irl. Nope, it wouldn't matter if they weren't directly next to each other, and if you halo them with diamonds like @elle_71125's ring, technically there'd be diamonds between the paraibas, so it matters not one whit that there's a slight difference in shade!

I was leaning toward N-S orientation for all three stones too. One of the inspiration settings I did like for it was something I saw on Blue Nile, but without the melee down the basket/donut. Not sure what sort of design I do want for the gallery yet, but I do know I want it to sit as flush as possible to any other bands I may pair with it.

55579c_main

Have been wanting to set a three stone ring for a while, so was really hoping the stones would be a good match. I've literally only had this stone in hand since 2pm today, and as the day went on, they looked closer in color in natural sunlight. Let's see how I feel about it in the morning!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
I think those three paraiba would look lovely together. :kiss2: IMHO I think to find an absolutely bang on exact match may be nigh on impossible with such scarce material.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was leaning toward N-S orientation for all three stones too. One of the inspiration settings I did like for it was something I saw on Blue Nile, but without the melee down the basket/donut. Not sure what sort of design I do want for the gallery yet, but I do know I want it to sit as flush as possible to any other bands I may pair with it.

55579c_main

Have been wanting to set a three stone ring for a while, so was really hoping the stones would be a good match. I've literally only had this stone in hand since 2pm today, and as the day went on, they looked closer in color in natural sunlight. Let's see how I feel about it in the morning!

Ooh, I love this idea! :kiss2: Your paraibas are gorgeous. Colorwise, they look really close in the pics. Spend some time with them to see how you feel about the shade difference. If it bothers you now, it will only bother you more later. Having said that, the diamond halo between the gems will make it less obvious. Not gonna lie...this is a project I‘d love to see happen.:mrgreen:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
OK took another photo outdoors this morning when I went out for groceries. It was completely overcast at the time, and I think it shows the difference in saturation better. I swear my phone camera only seems to pick up the blues and not much of the green tones.

Paraiba Overcast.jpg

It bothers me a little bit, but agree that putting it in a halo setting would make it less obvious. Right now with indoor CFL lights, they all look a touch more greenish, which is my preference anyway! Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow so I check it out some more.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this!
I dont seem to mind the sides not exactly matching the center. The sides them -selves seem to be a good match to each other.
I think someone already said that, so I’m repeating!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

55579c_main

Oh i love this
your stones have such beautiful colour

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Over the last two days, I think I've spent enough time these stones enough that I'm starting to feel better about keeping the center oval. That being said, while I'm not staring at them or trying to get then back from my 5yo daughter (who also keeps trying to look at them too; she's inherited my love of shiny things lol), I've been obsessively looking for more inspiration settings. I'm sketching up some ideas, but have to keep reminding myself that the color is the star of the show and to not make it overly complicated.

Can any other Paraiba owners recommend benches they have previously worked with? I know DK is the popular choice and have read through the vendor list, but just wanted to see what other options there are?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Daniel M is another option. He has experience setting all kinds of colored stones.

Also, Enhoerning Jewelry!!! Inken is pleasant to work with, has connections to excellent goldsmiths, and can source you really good diamonds if you're picky with melee like me.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Daniel M is another option. He has experience setting all kinds of colored stones.

Also, Enhoerning Jewelry!!! Inken is pleasant to work with, has connections to excellent goldsmiths, and can source you really good diamonds if you're picky with melee like me.

Thanks for the recs! I'm in NYC so will check out Enhoerning, if at the very least for the ease of getting to the Diamond District (though I'm NOT excited about the idea of getting on the subway right now). I worked with Daniel M many years ago on a simple bezel amethyst ring, so want to try someone new :)

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Update on my paraiba project - I've been emailing David Klass for the last couple of weeks and have finally settled on the design for my halo 3 stone. Here is the latest CAD:

Paraiba CAD.jpg

The ring will be cast in platinum, and the shank will be engraved, so we made it a little wider and it will taper slightly from the halo down to the rest of the shank. I was thinking the pattern would look like the band at the bottom here:
Engraving.jpg

This will likely be my last project for a looong time, so gotta make sure I get all the details I want to satisfy me for a while :lol:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh I just received these photos from David Klass tonight :kiss2: I had to promise DH that this would be the last shiny things purchase for a while lol.

The setting is engraved platinum with .20cts of diamonds in the halo:

DK Paraiba 1.jpg

DK Paraiba 2.jpg

DK Paraiba 3.jpg

DK Paraiba 4.jpg

Ahhh can't wait to have this in my hands!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I love the beautiful milgrain and engravings! Pls post lots of pics when you get it :kiss2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous result!!! Looking forward to see your pics when it arrives

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It looks fantastic! I also love the milgrain all around. I believe anyone can do a halo top view like that, but the basket and the engraving reveal true elegance and excellent taste! This is an heirloom-worthy treasure!
:love:

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! It looks fantastic! I also love the milgrain all around. I believe anyone can do a halo top view like that, but the basket and the engraving reveal true elegance and excellent taste! This is an heirloom-worthy treasure!
:love:

Thank you! I think the milgrain is truly exquisite, and I was surprised they were able to do it so delicately (and that double milgrain around the basket/donut :O). TBH I didn't give a lot of instructions about the engraving other than "I like this photo" but it managed to come out exactly as I imagined it!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh I just received these photos from David Klass tonight :kiss2: I had to promise DH that this would be the last shiny things purchase for a while lol.

DK Paraiba 1.jpg

DK Paraiba 2.jpg

DK Paraiba 3.jpg

DK Paraiba 4.jpg

STUNNING! I cant wait to see it on your hand!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DK Paraiba 1.jpg

DK Paraiba 2.jpg

DK Paraiba 3.jpg

DK Paraiba 4.jpg

I LOVE it! :kiss2:
What's better than 1 paraiba? 3 paraibas!!! :dance: I really love the profile view too. The migraine petals are just the perfect touch. I'm going to on the edge of my seat until you come back posting hand shots.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the metalwork, milgrain, engraving and design - especially that gorgeous gallery!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@Chasiu I saw your ring on instagram. It is just beautiful! The work on the baskets, those petals, and the milgrain. The Paraibas!!!! I can't wait to see this on your hand! Congratulations on such a stunning ring!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
It's finally here!! :kiss2::kiss2: A day late, but glad it came early so I could still take some quick hand shots in the natural light!

Loving the weight of the platinum right now
Chasiu Paraiba 1.jpg

From the pictures that DK sent me the other day, I thought the engraving might not look fluid enough, but glad to say it looks gorgeous and so so delicate in person
Chasiu Paraiba 2.jpg

Dat profile :kiss2:
Chasiu Paraiba 3.jpg

The first couple times I tried taking this photo, my phone couldn't focus on the glowing paraibas lol
Chasiu Paraiba 4.jpg

Will take more pics after my next meeting!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s stunning!!! Your ring looks even better in your pics. Beautiful detailing, especially that engraving. And wow... the glow of your Paraibas

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a gorgeous ring. Pls start new thread so ppl know it’s done and see this beauty!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Acinom and @motownmama! Definitely planning to start a new SMTB thread to share more photos with everyone as soon as the kids are in bed lol.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Wow it looks stunning ! Total show stopper!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results