shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with larger stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amy28

Rough_Rock
My fiancee recently proposed and after doing his research on this board for several weeks, decided to wait to buy the diamond until after we were enagaged so I could have some input. After poking around the site for a couple of days, I wondered if anyone had advice on online sources for rings larger than a carat. Yes, I want the big ring -- ha ha. Does anyone know a good source for rings close to or just more than 2 carats?

Thanks in advance for any help!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Amy,

Do you have an idea of what shape/colour/clarity range you're looking at? If you're able to let us know what your parameters are, you'll likely get some more guidance.
1.gif

If you're simply looking for vendor recommendations, we recently purchased my e-ring through Dirt Cheap Diamonds, and are very happy with the outcome. Jim & Josh at DCD are both helpful and honest.
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There are plenty of recommendations here on Pricescope. An over 1 carat stone is not considered that big so you should have plenty of options.

amy28

Rough_Rock
We are looking for an RB, color G-J, clarity of VS1-2. We think the cut is the most important factor. We'd like to keep the budget to under $15,000 when all is said and done with the setting, etc.

Thanks again!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Your stated budget is a little low for VS1-VS2 clarity in a very well cut RB of that carat weight. I'd suggest dropping to SI1, and ensuring that the stone is eyeclean. How much you are prepared to spend on the setting will also be a factor, given that you've stated that your 15K budget includes the setting. FYI, a simple platinum tiffany-style setting will run you approximately $300-350 from an online vendor.

I just ran a "search by cut quality" (on the main Pricescope page) and came up with a few 2 carat+ G-J SI1's that are well within your price range.
1.gif

amy28

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help everyone
1.gif

Do AGS diamonds cost less than GIA? And is there anything we should watch out for with an AGS diamond? All but one in the 15 that came up in our search were AGS.

Also, we wondered if anyone had experience in going to brick and mortar jewelers vs. online places and if the cost savings was significant?

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Hi Amy,

Congratulations on the engagment. I just recently purchased a 2.01 RB G SI1 with custom mounting CLICK HERE FOR POST from Whiteflash and I would HIGHLY recommend dealing with them. I was so extremely happy with the quality of my piece and know you would be able to find something. I do agree though that the 15,000 budget is a little low if you are thinking of getting that large a stone and anything else with it. I know that the stone alone is going to run you a minimum of that if not more. Anyways, good luck and happy shopping!

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Amy,

There is a big difference between a G and a J. You should go to local shops and ask to see the same size stones is those colors. Larger stones sometimes show color more. It depends on what you like and which part of the 4 c's you want to alter to get what you want. I ordered an (I) no - flour. first and I was able to see a yellowish tint. I loved the size of it (more bang for my buck) but ultimately returned it for a smaller (H). I am still getting over the loss of the .37 points but I am much happier with an (H). I would have loved a (G) but was not willing to go SI2 or smaller to get it. If you are a "big" diamond lover, may I suggest you start with the 1.5 cts when looking. If you decide to go larger, you will be delighted with the larger size. If you look at the 2 cts first, you will never want to see a 1.5 again. Just my opinion. I will say that if you look carefully enough, you can get an SI1 that is completely eye clean. It will be harder to find but can be done. That might be a way to get a bigger stone, better cut and color all w/i the budget.

If you plan to set the stone in yellow gold....you can go for I or J. Platinum would be iffy. Hope this helps.

amy28

Rough_Rock
It is going to be in platinum. You raise good points about looking at the various colors in the 2.0 carat range to see what they look like. I think I already have my heart set on the 2 --
1.gif
-- but don't want to have a ring people can see the inclusions in from across the room either.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to note that I have seen I colored diamonds in platinum and did not think they looked yellow at all. So it really depends on your eyes and how good they are...as Steph noted...go into a few stores and find our your comfort level with color. I would estimate something like an H SI1 would work really well as a middle ground. Some people don't feel comforable with I or J and others won't go lower than F...so it really depends on what your eyes see...and keep in mind that different lighting situations make the stone look different, what you are wearing makes the stone look different (e.g. yellow shirt will reflect off stone etc). So real life looks are not the same as in the stores. Also well cut stones will face up a shade or two whiter than a poorly cut stone. So if you see a maul-cut I stone and think its yellow, a well cut I stone may look more like an H to your eye..etc.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
A well cut I should face up white, but you may be able to detect a tinge of yellow from the sides. This may or may not influence your decision, depending on how much it bothers you or if it indeed bothers you at all.
1.gif

If you're going to look at stones, be sure to check out a vendor that sells very well cut stones, just to get an idea in your head of what you'd be buying if you bought a well cut stone online. You may wish to check out Tiffany, or a dealer that carries Hearts on Fire, for example.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi Amy,

If you don't mind looking around a bit...you will be able to find an Si1 that is totally eye clean. I was the same way as you. I wanted a stone totally eyeclean because I can see everything!!!! You are not assured that a VS2 will definitely be eyeclean either. In most cases it will, but ...sometime not. I was replacing a stolen engagement ring that was bought 14 years ago. I knew there were 2 tiny pinpoints in my stone but nobody would ever have known. I could hardly ever see them. Sometimes in my car on a particularly sunny day the light would hit...You get the idea. I really liked knowing they were there- especially when my ring was cleaned and eventually reset. I looked for my dots.

I have looked at stones both in person and online for the last few months and never considered a VS2 because I wanted a 3 ct stone. If I had a bigger budget I would have gone to an F or G , a super ideal cut and an even bigger stone. Eyeclean SI1's are fine. I have personally seen several (including the one I have just had set) that are totally , totally eyeclean. I even bought a loupe to view the stones myself and I can bearly see the tiny inclusion in my new stone with a 10x loupe. THere are many SI1's that you can see the flaws - no problem. There are others that are fantastic and will allow you to get a better color and bigger size. Use your eyes - if you can't see it - believe me noone else can either.

The funny thing about all this diamond info is that I want to examine all of my friends rings. I don't have the nerve to get close enough to view the color, never mind a flaw. They think I'm nuts already anyway...

Do your homework, read the tutorials, ask alot of questions and look at alot of diamonds. You will find the one. Good luck.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

The AGS Diamond Quality Reports are less expensive than a GIA report. I will double check on this when I am in the office. We are an AGS ICGA lab. They may charge AGS members differently for their reports. They are also faster than the GIA. Either one is fine with me but the AGS does put more cut info on the report and will be doing even more in the near future. We were at the AGS conclave and Pete Yantzer (director of the AGS labs) has some exciting things he is working on.

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results