shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with IdealScope / H&A images

BMx33

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Im new here and I just want to say that this site has been such a great help so far! Although this process is overwhelming (as I'm sure most of you feel or have felt) I have a lot of difficulty when it comes to assessing Idealscope/ASET/Hearts&Arrows images. Any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Details about the Diamond: 1.72ct / VVS2 / H / 3EX / HCA score 1.4

original_vendor.png 1.png
2.png 3.png

I tried to look at some imaging guides but they were kind of confusing.
Thanks in advance!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone,

Im new here and I just want to say that this site has been such a great help so far! Although this process is overwhelming (as I'm sure most of you feel or have felt) I have a lot of difficulty when it comes to assessing Idealscope/ASET/Hearts&Arrows images. Any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Details about the Diamond: 1.72ct / VVS2 / H / 3EX / HCA score 1.4

original_vendor.png 1.png
2.png 3.png

I tried to look at some imaging guides but they were kind of confusing.
Thanks in advance!

What are the proportions numbers on the stone? Crown and Pavillion angle. And table percentage. Can you post your GIA number?

The Aset and Idealscope images show white in the middle where the table is ...this indicates light leakage .

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. Light leakage under the table and not a H&A stone.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, the diamond does not have significant light leakage.
The ASET is poorly taken. The diamond is tilted, the ASET scope is held incorrectly, and the backlight is too bright and uneven. It absolutely puzzles me whenever a vendor provides such poor ASET image like this. They are potentially losing $15k business because of that.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
Hey all! Thanks for your reply, very interesting variety of comments haha. Here is some more info, sorry i didnt include it initially.

Table: 56 / Depth: 62.6 / Crown: 35.5/ Pav: 40.6
GIA LINK

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey all! Thanks for your reply, very interesting variety of comments haha. Here is some more info, sorry i didnt include it initially.

Table: 56 / Depth: 62.6 / Crown: 35.5/ Pav: 40.6
GIA LINK

Are you sure this is the correct GIA report ? Your initial posts described the diamond as 1.72 ct and this report is for a 1.7 ct diamond.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
Are you sure this is the correct GIA report ? Your initial posts described the diamond as 1.72 ct and this report is for a 1.7 ct diamond.

Hi, yes! Im sorry about the original. I made this massive spreadsheet of potential diamonds I liked and i simply just misread that column. The diamond is 1.70, my original post is incorrect. Sorry about that. But everything else i mentioned is correct!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually, the diamond does not have significant light leakage.
The ASET is poorly taken. The diamond is tilted, the ASET scope is held incorrectly, and the backlight is too bright and uneven. It absolutely puzzles me whenever a vendor provides such poor ASET image like this. They are potentially losing $15k business because of that.
I would say potentially does not have, until shown otherwise.
Your correct about the image itself being poor.
The heart image is poorly taken also.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
@flyingpig @Karl_K
Thanks for the input from both of you. So final thoughts/comments on what you think? Should i keep looking? Potentially keep this on my list? Im looking for similar characteristics in terms of the diamond, also thinking about if its worth going from H to G. Any recommendations would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your help!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep it on your list.
At the worst, it may have minor leakages, but nothing detrimental.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
@flyingpig @Karl_K Hey guys! heres an updated ASET. Let me know if your thoughts change at all. Much appreciated! =) This is pretty high on my list now.
4.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh...
The new ASET is equally poorly taken.
While I still think whatever leakage you see in the ASET is due to the incorrect use of the scope and a bit exaggerated. But nothing can be confirmed based on these two ASET with certainty. The face up photo looks promising, and the hearts and arrow images do not show detrimental leakage; any obvious leakage normally appears black.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sigh...
The new ASET is equally poorly taken.
While I still think whatever leakage you see in the ASET is due to the incorrect use of the scope and a bit exaggerated. But nothing can be confirmed based on these two ASET with certainty. The face up photo looks promising, and the hearts and arrow images do not show detrimental leakage; any obvious leakage normally appears black.
Well said.
Using h&a images to say anything solid about leakage with any degree of accuracy would not be a good idea.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
@flyingpig @Karl_K thank you so much, i really appreciate your help so much. I mean for me as long as its a decent diamond, good price and its eye clean then im ok with some leakage. From everything you guys have shared im leaning toward the side of its a good diamond. I could probably search all day and night and not find the perfect diamond but as long as its clean and looks good and there isnt something very alarming about it... i think I would be satisfied.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is more than decent. Actually, it is top quality in the world of GIA XXX. Is it good enough for PS members? Again, it is hard to say based on these photos.

As long as the vendor has a good return policy and the price is right, it is not a bad idea to order the stone. See it for yourself. You may want to buy an ASET scope or make one for yourself. Click my ID to see my threads. It should say "DIY IS/ASET". There are two threads on IS/ASET.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One element not yet discussed is the price of the stone. What is the vendor asking? Not that the price improves or changes the ASET's and light return performance but it can tell us if the price being asked is fair for a stone of that size, cut, clarity, etc.

It may be possible we can find another stone of comparable money that doesn't have the uncertainty/risk associated with it that this stone does because of poorly taken images.

BMx33

Rough_Rock
One element not yet discussed is the price of the stone. What is the vendor asking? Not that the price improves or changes the ASET's and light return performance but it can tell us if the price being asked is fair for a stone of that size, cut, clarity, etc.

It may be possible we can find another stone of comparable money that doesn't have the uncertainty/risk associated with it that this stone does because of poorly taken images.

@sledge good point, thanks. So the price as per online is $13,437 // BW $13,034

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and love to take a look at similar stones that has much more certainty as you mentioned. Thanks again for your input.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old thread. I've asked @Pankil to open a new thread instead of bringing up old threads.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results