shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with first nice pearl set - pics

sevillaperla

Rough_Rock
Hello, I’ve been doing some research on my first nice pearl set and am a bit overwhelmed with all the options. I’ve been looking through the old threads on here and there is so much good information. I’m hoping to get some advice on what would flatter my frame (mid height, slim) and coloring.

I’m trying to make some decisions on:
Pearl color
Earring size
Necklace mm size
Necklace length
And then best bang for the buck from there. We do have a trip to Japan planned where I see several vendors recommended here but it is later this year.

I’d like to upgrade my cheap cultured pearl ear studs and get a matching necklace, in a very classic and timeless style that can take me into my 40s and beyond.
IMG_3515.png
IMG_3513.png

I know I want white, but would a silver white or a warm white be more flattering on my skin tone? I like how silver white pops against my skin with earrings, but I also enjoy the versatility of warmer white in a necklace. I’d describe my skin as tan olive with dark hair. I’ve attached some photos below with my current affordable freshwater pearl necklace and cultured pearl earrings.

IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg

I’d like the earrings to be on the larger side but still classic enough to be versatile- here’s a pic of 10.5mm Tahitians on my ears. I like this size a lot.
IMG_3471.jpeg

I’m a bit torn on the necklace- what mm size pearl and what length would be best. Here’s a pic of 8mm size pearls on me, 18” necklace. I like the below Tahitian 36” opera length and how it doesn’t need to be clasped too.
IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3478.jpeg
Also here is a warmer strand against my skin.
IMG_3484.jpeg

Thank you for reading!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello, I’ve been doing some research on my first nice pearl set and am a bit overwhelmed with all the options. I’ve been looking through the old threads on here and there is so much good information. I’m hoping to get some advice on what would flatter my frame (mid height, slim) and coloring.

I’m trying to make some decisions on:
Pearl color
Earring size
Necklace mm size
Necklace length
And then best bang for the buck from there. We do have a trip to Japan planned where I see several vendors recommended here but it is later this year.

I’d like to upgrade my cheap cultured pearl ear studs and get a matching necklace, in a very classic and timeless style that can take me into my 40s and beyond.
IMG_3515.png
IMG_3513.png

I know I want white, but would a silver white or a warm white be more flattering on my skin tone? I like how silver white pops against my skin with earrings, but I also enjoy the versatility of warmer white in a necklace. I’d describe my skin as tan olive with dark hair. I’ve attached some photos below with my current affordable freshwater pearl necklace and cultured pearl earrings.

IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg

I’d like the earrings to be on the larger side but still classic enough to be versatile- here’s a pic of 10.5mm Tahitians on my ears. I like this size a lot.
IMG_3471.jpeg

I’m a bit torn on the necklace- what mm size pearl and what length would be best. Here’s a pic of 8mm size pearls on me, 18” necklace. I like the below Tahitian 36” opera length and how it doesn’t need to be clasped too.
IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3478.jpeg
Also here is a warmer strand against my skin.
IMG_3484.jpeg

Thank you for reading!

you look great in pearls

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Given that you have a trip planned to Japan later this year...and that buying pearls is a non-trivial expense for a piece that could last you a lifetime... I'd very strongly urge you to wait for your trip to make the purchase.

Being able to hold the pearls in your hand, see them on your neck, etc is priceless in choosing the pearls which fit you best -- Size/Color/etc.

My wife initially thought she would want a pinkish pearl for example but when she had them on her neck in Japan, it was natural white all the way for her skin tone. She hated the "warmer tones" and in fact the Gem Tennyo natural white looked better on her than a warmer Granpearl strand she tried on.

In Japan, I would check out:
1) Mikimoto AAA/AA equivalent and Tasaki A/AA (If you can find an AA in store, they do not have many) to get a "baseline" of quality you want to aim for.
2) General pearl in Tokyo
3) Takahashi in Kobe
4) If you are already in Kobe, check out YokotaPearls too (I'd go here THEN visit Takahashi. Can always go back to YokotaPearls if you liked a piece of theirs more since they have a small retail location). They will sell in person at 30-40% cheaper than on Ebay. Negotiate hard here if you like a piece, they are flexible. I got a nice discount on my Lagoon certified Tahitian necklace from the initial price he listed.

sevillaperla

Rough_Rock
Given that you have a trip planned to Japan later this year...and that buying pearls is a non-trivial expense for a piece that could last you a lifetime... I'd very strongly urge you to wait for your trip to make the purchase.

Being able to hold the pearls in your hand, see them on your neck, etc is priceless in choosing the pearls which fit you best -- Size/Color/etc.

My wife initially thought she would want a pinkish pearl for example but when she had them on her neck in Japan, it was natural white all the way for her skin tone. She hated the "warmer tones" and in fact the Gem Tennyo natural white looked better on her than a warmer Granpearl strand she tried on.

In Japan, I would check out:
1) Mikimoto AAA/AA equivalent and Tasaki A/AA (If you can find an AA in store, they do not have many) to get a "baseline" of quality you want to aim for.
2) General pearl in Tokyo
3) Takahashi in Kobe
4) If you are already in Kobe, check out YokotaPearls too (I'd go here THEN visit Takahashi. Can always go back to YokotaPearls if you liked a piece of theirs more since they have a small retail location). They will sell in person at 30-40% cheaper than on Ebay. Negotiate hard here if you like a piece, they are flexible. I got a nice discount on my Lagoon certified Tahitian necklace from the initial price he listed.

Thank you SO much. Our trip is in the fall so that gives me plenty of time to research and also try on different styles. I’ll look into the vendors you mentioned- have heard of Takahashi but not the others. You’re right that it’s a non trivial expense… that Tahitian strand I tried on above was $27k+ and as a pearl newbie I was a bit shell shocked (excuse the pun).

I just ordered an opera length strand and a couple rainbow freshwater studs from Wen to try out to see how I like the style and size.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thank you SO much. Our trip is in the fall so that gives me plenty of time to research and also try on different styles. I’ll look into the vendors you mentioned- have heard of Takahashi but not the others. You’re right that it’s a non trivial expense… that Tahitian strand I tried on above was $27k+ and as a pearl newbie I was a bit shell shocked (excuse the pun).

I just ordered an opera length strand and a couple rainbow freshwater studs from Wen to try out to see how I like the style and size.

Takahashi is lovely and very reasonable price for the quality. You'd be speaking with Yy on Instagram and Mr. Seki if you visit them in Kobe (They own a 4-5 story office building there, no retail since their focus is wholesale).

Perhaps these links will help (You can use browser to Translate on general pearl):

Yokota Pearls (He has other strands in store not shown on EBAY):

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, you are too kind. Honestly, I love them all. But I try to keep a minimalist collection.

I’ve been looking at some cheapies from Wen to try out first, but my Etsy cart is getting very full with all the options!

Wen pearls is great for playing around with and working out what sizes and lengths you might like
And not all pearls need to be deathly serious but can just be for fun
she dispatches very smartly and i get them within the week (down here in New Zealand)
i have been advised to always buy her to AAA grade and to buy double what i need so i can pick out the best ones but in truth i have got very few i have in my reject pile
i do have lower standards than most here :lol: but the quality i have experienced from her is certainly no worse than what i see in most of the main street/ mall/ family jewlers in my country so i think she is very good value for money and well worth the risk as it would be way too hard to do returns from here
i think her shipping is free with an order of US $35
as with everything you do get what you pay for but im happy just having a bit of fun

sevillaperla

Rough_Rock
Takahashi is lovely and very reasonable price for the quality. You'd be speaking with Yy on Instagram and Mr. Seki if you visit them in Kobe (They own a 4-5 story office building there, no retail since their focus is wholesale).

Perhaps these links will help (You can use browser to Translate on general pearl):

Yokota Pearls (He has other strands in store not shown on EBAY):

Thank you again. I will have to see if our trip allows us to make a stop in Kobe. Very excited.

sevillaperla

Rough_Rock
Wen pearls is great for playing around with and working out what sizes and lengths you might like
And not all pearls need to be deathly serious but can just be for fun
she dispatches very smartly and i get them within the week (down here in New Zealand)
i have been advised to always buy her to AAA grade and to buy double what i need so i can pick out the best ones but in truth i have got very few i have in my reject pile
i do have lower standards than most here :lol: but the quality i have experienced from her is certainly no worse than what i see in most of the main street/ mall/ family jewlers in my country so i think she is very good value for money and well worth the risk as it would be way too hard to do returns from here
i think her shipping is free with an order of US $35
as with everything you do get what you pay for but im happy just having a bit of fun

I am looking forward to my first order arriving! I am also debating getting some grey/bronzes ones from her to mimic the Tahitians I tried on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results