shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with first CS purchase :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When cut well, especially with a high crown, tourmaline can sparkle nicely, but it is a lower RI stone. It’s usually acquired more for the rainbow of color it comes in vs it’s ability to show fire and brilliance, The only high RI stone I can think of that comes in a teal color is blue zircon. and it’s affordable.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff White can be pricey imo, but he has many happy customers. I mean precision lapidaries always charge more for their artistry, which is understandable.

I know it’s unrealistic, but I keep this picture in my phone as an example of a super fine blue green tourmaline. When I look at really high end stones, it helps me be more selective, even if I cannot attain this level of perfection. I think it’s especially important to someone new to colored gems as well.

. 44BC6FAF-42AA-4742-B6AC-943604A2636D.png

@T L, first, thank you for all the information!! I really appreciate it!! I really like this image of a BG Tourmaline, but I was going for more of a teal color with deeper saturation. I have no problem paying for excellent lapidary skills, but that is balanced with "bang for my bucks". I would have been happy to spend what I did if the stones knocked my socks off, but I am underwhelmed and unthrilled with what I received. The problem is me I think, not the stones....

If you cannot find tourmaline you like in your price range, blue green apatite is really affordable (for now). They’re just very soft and your jeweler has to be careful. Because they’re soft, they’re ideal for earrings. Blue zircon in a pale color is also another option.

7A155BD5-F526-4F6E-B23B-55F83F88D954.jpeg
Seriously consider apatite if you have a good jeweler. Here’s one in rose gold in an empty setting. I haven’t set it because I usually wear rings, and they’re soft. But here it is next to a super neon Paraiba. I mean, you get a lot of bling for the price. I think a stone this size, around three carats is maybe $200.

I do alike apatite and had been looking at them, but can't find any in the hue I'm looking for. They should be great for earrings. But I did fracture a huge apatite I had in a ring once....

When cut well, especially with a high crown, tourmaline can sparkle nicely, but it is a lower RI stone. It’s usually acquired more for the rainbow of color it comes in vs it’s ability to show fire and brilliance, The only high RI stone I can think of that comes in a teal color is blue zircon. and it’s affordable.

I've also been looking at Zircons and may very well end up going that route. I've seen some Montana Sapphires that show promise as well.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
First you have to love the colour. If you don’t love the stones I would suggest returning the stones. I learned my lessons for keeping the stones I don’t love completely. After a while, you will find more flaws of the stones you don’t love.
I agree with you. I find the color ok but not brilliant, and probably not worth dropping more money into settings when they just don't thrill me...

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Sandy could it be the tourmaline itself?

I just do not like tourmaline. It doesn't sparkle enough and is kind of insipid compared to other gems. It just does not float my boat.

I've got one in a lovely big asccher cut but I've decided tourmaline is very "meh" and will never go there again.

Well, I was thinking it was just me! But maybe it's that I'm not loving the stones? I see so many pictures of these beautiful bluish green and greenish blue stones online and they look FABULOUS. And I know the camera doesn't catch all the eye can see. But now I'm wondering if I'm just going to find them all lackluster?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline is a broad category. I feel "meh" about tourmaline in most colours, including blue-green, but I'm still a fan of neon or mint colours. Try a paraiba from Brazil!
Yes, I like Paraibas, I love their brilliance!! Finding a pair I can afford is a different story....but I'll keep looking.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
There are some pretty zircons in Yvonne Raleys shop now, but they are 5.5 instead of 6 mm. Maybe those are worth a look online?
Yes, I've been looking at her site almost daily (amongst many others) for new gems. I'll look again, but I actually think I want to stay at or above 6mm. The ones I bought are supposedly 6mm, but they're just slightly bigger than my .28 ct diamond, which is weird considering they're .8 ct per.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With teal tourmaline, you do have to be careful it doesn’t black out in certain lighting. Some material, in particular, African, can really black out, although there are beautiful exceptions. I always go towards Afghan material because even if the tone is too light for you, it often has open color, but again there’s always exceptions.

Zircon is a great option though, so good luck. They’re also a billion times easier to find in pairs as they’re often cut in round brilliants like diamonds. They’re also a little soft, and prone to facet abrasions, so make sure it’s a good jeweler.

Montana sapphires can be “moody” and can shift to a very gray color in certain lighting, so be aware.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results