shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with first CS purchase :)

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!

I am excitedly hunting for a pair of stones for dangly earrings and have visited most of the sites mentioned in the threads on this board, and contacted a couple of cutters. However, being as how I'm not well-educated on colored stones, I am having some difficulties determining what are good cuts and appropriate prices. So I was wondering if you all might help me find the perfect pair so I can join the ranks as a CS lover. =)2

I am looking for either Teal or Bluish-Green stones with a high degree of brilliance. I am open to shape and cut (except for rectangular cuts), but I must say I am very drawn to the Portuguese and Concave cuts, which I had never seen before. As for size, I'm looking for approximately 6mm.

I've been looking at Tourmalines and Tsavorites mostly, but I am open to other stones. The optimal color looks like this:

BG Tourmaline.png

Or like @JemsByJoyce beautiful stone:
paraiba tourmaline JemsbyJoyce.jpg

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

NK2012

Rough_Rock
@SandyinAnaheim Have you contacted Jeff White? He can look through his stock of rough to see if he has the color you are looking for. His prices are reasonable and cutting is exceptional. Check out his Instagram.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyinAnaheim Have you contacted Jeff White? He can look through his stock of rough to see if he has the color you are looking for. His prices are reasonable and cutting is exceptional. Check out his Instagram.
I did, he's the first cutter I contacted, but at the price he quoted me for cutting the stones, I thought I could find something as good for less. I know his work is outstanding, but the more I look, the more I realize I don't really know what the norm is as far as pricing per ct on Tourmalines, Sapphires, Zircons, Tsavorites, etc. I see some that are ready to go on the market, but I'm skeert that if I post them, they'll be gone....so maybe going with him isn't a bad idea after all. The stone he chose for you is gorgeous, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product.

What is your budget?
I thought I could find a pair for about $600, but that doesn't appear to be a reasonable figure, which is why I decided to ask for some help.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Jeff White will be out of your price range then. Precision lapidaries charge an extra premium for their work, which they consider art. and it’s understandable.

I don’t know if you’ll get something well cut, or more than 2 carats total weight (one carat in each ear, about a 6mm round stone) with those colors with that budget, However, who knows, you might get lucky and surprised by some of the deals Pricescopers find. Matching pairs often command a higher premium as well.

You also have to be careful with blue green tourmaline because some of it goes very dark in sunlight.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I think Jeff White will be out of your price range then. Precision lapidaries charge an extra premium for their work, which they consider art. and it’s understandable.

I don’t know if you’ll get something well cut, or more than 2 carats total weight (one carat in each ear, about a 6mm round stone) with those colors with that budget, However, who knows, you might get lucky and surprised by some of the deals Pricescopers find. Matching pairs often command a higher premium as well.

You also have to be careful with blue green tourmaline because some of it goes very dark in sunlight.
I agree that their work is art. I was offered 2 x 5.4mm stones of BG Tourmaline that weigh 1.3 tcw for $975 by a PS member vendor from out of the country. Their color is beautiful, but for that price, I might as well just go with Jeff and get the excellence in cut. I just haven't been looking long enough to have a feel for what is good pricing and quality, I'm simply drawn to color. That's why I thought I'd reach out to get some guidance from those who know more than me. :P2

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just tell him you want stones that don’t black out in the sun. You could go with Jeff White or any of the lapidaries in the vendor sticky thread at the top of this sub forum.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
B430E5AE-E5D0-4D83-ACE4-ABC1FC86FA26.jpeg

Does it have to be 6mm? You can ask thebeardedgemcutter about what’s feasible. He cut this one for me. You can contact him on Instagram, and see if he has something for you.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Try Haydenfred Gems. Annie is very friendly and prompt with shipping. I bought a single mint tourmaline gem from her, but she also has this pair.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/602522...e-unheated-this?ref=shop_home_active_17&frs=1

I know Etsy says $830, but she'll probably be willing to give a discount if you're willing to do it over Paypal.

She's very good about taking pictures and videos to send to you, and she has some gorgeous stones.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't bought from Haydenfred gems but she's super nice and prompt all the times I've made enquiries!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$975 for 1.3 tcw is overpriced unless they are glowy :dance:. The seccond stone you posted has a little bit of glow, but I would be wanting even more than that.

I would ask cvb id designs about this pair

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvJ3CI9HiqD/?hl=en

Note they seem to come from ivy new york. So I would also flick through their site. But people have found ivy new yorks pictures a bit variable (so check their return policy if purchasing directly from them).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Haydenfred Gems. Annie is very friendly and prompt with shipping. I bought a single mint tourmaline gem from her, but she also has this pair.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/602522...e-unheated-this?ref=shop_home_active_17&frs=1

I know Etsy says $830, but she'll probably be willing to give a discount if you're willing to do it over Paypal.

She's very good about taking pictures and videos to send to you, and she has some gorgeous stones.
Not precision cut, but I don’t care! The color is bright, open, minty goodness!! Nice pair!!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
B430E5AE-E5D0-4D83-ACE4-ABC1FC86FA26.jpeg

Does it have to be 6mm? You can ask thebeardedgemcutter about what’s feasible. He cut this one for me. You can contact him on Instagram, and see if he has something for you.
Thanks, I'll look at their stones a bit more. Are they etching those stones? I haven't seen patterns like that before....

Thank you! Those are really pretty. I was trying to go more teal than mint, but those are REALLY lovely, especially if they're neon.

$975 for 1.3 tcw is overpriced unless they are glowy :dance:. The seccond stone you posted has a little bit of glow, but I would be wanting even more than that.

I would ask cvb id designs about this pair

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvJ3CI9HiqD/?hl=en

Note they seem to come from ivy new york. So I would also flick through their site. But people have found ivy new yorks pictures a bit variable (so check their return policy if purchasing directly from them).
Thank you @qubitasaurus! That's the color I'm aiming at, and I like the price as well. The shape wouldn't be my first choice, but I think it could work. I DMed Caysie for availability. I went through the Ivy site and those stones are not up.

What I am imagining are detachable drops. I have diamond studs in different sizes, and there is very little one can do to dress up studs. I talked to Amy at DK about my idea to create drops that I could add behind the ear on the post to change them up a bit,and over time have different stones. Turns out, she's made them before for other people. So, just when I thought I was being original..... ;)2

I agree that $975 was too much for that pair. According to the vendor, that's a reasonable price in Singapore...

I think it's going to take me some time to become more educated on colored stones, like it did with diamonds, but I didn't want to wait to get to that point in order to get these earrings made.

I found these, but they haven't responded to me: https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/156-carats-natural-tourmaline
This one would allow for a ring or pendant: https://www.etsy.com/listing/591759367/blue-green-tourmaline-fancy-cut-lagoon?ref=notif_psffl
I like this color as well: https://www.etsy.com/listing/624071421/tourmaline-pair-afghanistan-tourmaline?ref=user_profile&pro=1
I don't know much about Zircons, but heavens to murgatroid!!: https://gemfix.com/gems/zircon-blue-254-oval-portuguese-cut-pair-5-04cts-total

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I'll look at their stones a bit more. Are they etching those stones? I haven't seen patterns like that before....

Thank you! Those are really pretty. I was trying to go more teal than mint, but those are REALLY lovely, especially if they're neon.

Thank you @qubitasaurus! That's the color I'm aiming at, and I like the price as well. The shape wouldn't be my first choice, but I think it could work. I DMed Caysie for availability. I went through the Ivy site and those stones are not up.

What I am imagining are detachable drops. I have diamond studs in different sizes, and there is very little one can do to dress up studs. I talked to Amy at DK about my idea to create drops that I could add behind the ear on the post to change them up a bit,and over time have different stones. Turns out, she's made them before for other people. So, just when I thought I was being original..... ;)2

I agree that $975 was too much for that pair. According to the vendor, that's a reasonable price in Singapore...

I think it's going to take me some time to become more educated on colored stones, like it did with diamonds, but I didn't want to wait to get to that point in order to get these earrings made.

I found these, but they haven't responded to me: https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/156-carats-natural-tourmaline
This one would allow for a ring or pendant: https://www.etsy.com/listing/591759367/blue-green-tourmaline-fancy-cut-lagoon?ref=notif_psffl
I like this color as well: https://www.etsy.com/listing/624071421/tourmaline-pair-afghanistan-tourmaline?ref=user_profile&pro=1
I don't know much about Zircons, but heavens to murgatroid!!: https://gemfix.com/gems/zircon-blue-254-oval-portuguese-cut-pair-5-04cts-total

The last pair would be my pick.

Singapore prices can be sky high. If you dont know what you are doing you will pay way too much here. So she is probably right, that it is consistent with some of the other retailers here (not all, that would be a grosely inadequet generalization. But I suspect if you picked one at random then they will cost at least as much. You have to remember real estate here costs a lot so anyone maintaining a physical shop front has significant overheads.).

I can't see why that would be a good argument for you to pay $975 for a 1.3 tcw pair (which are on the oposite side of the world to you) when you have other options which cost less and seem better (significantly larger, and brighter in general). There isn't really any compelling reason for you to pay the high price many of the jewelers here need to charge to cover the rent of their shop fronts. You would be getting zero value out of that exchange as you can't visit any of their shops.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afghani tourmaline tends to be more open in color than some African indicolite or blue/green material, meaning they don’t “black out” as much. Of course there are always exceptions, I just wanted to note that.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
So I made my first purchase. I found a pair of unheated Brazilian BG Tourmalines cut from the same crystal from Richard Homer. They are 6mm round Concave Brilliant cut. One of them is just slightly more lime colored than the other, but once they're set in earrings, I believe it won't be noticeable. But I'm not in love. :confused2: While they're really beautifully cut and glittery, they're not singing to me. Is it because they're unset and not displaying they're full fabulousness?? My husband thinks I'm not enchanted because I love diamonds so much and he thinks my mind is comparing them to diamonds. Ugh....

Here they are on an overcast day. What are your thoughts?

Stones2.jpg

Vendor picture:

thumbnail.jpg

Attachments

• Stones1.jpg
    Stones1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Stones.jpg
    Stones.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 13

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are beautiful, but you have to love them too! If you don't love them, I would return them. I've tried (and failed) to let stuff grow on me, and have learned my lesson!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs, I agree. But I'm wondering if I might like them better once set, and if I'm not enchanted because they're loose? I have zero innate creativity or vision so I can't envision what they'll look like once set.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, I agree. But I'm wondering if I might like them better once set, and if I'm not enchanted because they're loose? I have zero innate creativity or vision so I can't envision what they'll look like once set.
If you don’t love them loose, I would return them. They don’t do it for me either. That dealer is far too expensive to keep those stones. For what you paid for them, I bet you could get something even nicer, you just need to be patient. Sometimes it takes a long time to find just the right stone, but it’s so worth it;-)

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t love them loose, I would return them. They don’t do it for me either. That dealer is far too expensive to keep those stones. For what you paid for them, I bet you could get something even nicer, you just need to be patient. Sometimes it takes a long time to find just the right stone, but it’s so worth it;-)
Well, he was a LOT less expensive than Jeff White. I paid $600 + S/H for these stones. I haven't found another pair of this quality or even lower, for near this price. Sadly, I think I will have to return them though....I can't pinpoint why I don't love them, but I don't.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, he was a LOT less expensive than Jeff White. I paid $600 + S/H for these stones. I haven't found another pair of this quality or even lower, for near this price. Sadly, I think I will have to return them though....I can't pinpoint why I don't love them, but I don't.

Jeff White can be pricey imo, but he has many happy customers. I mean precision lapidaries always charge more for their artistry, which is understandable.

I know it’s unrealistic, but I keep this picture in my phone as an example of a super fine blue green tourmaline. When I look at really high end stones, it helps me be more selective, even if I cannot attain this level of perfection. I think it’s especially important to someone new to colored gems as well.

. 44BC6FAF-42AA-4742-B6AC-943604A2636D.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you cannot find tourmaline you like in your price range, blue green apatite is really affordable (for now). They’re just very soft and your jeweler has to be careful. Because they’re soft, they’re ideal for earrings. Blue zircon in a pale color is also another option.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First you have to love the colour. If you don’t love the stones I would suggest returning the stones. I learned my lessons for keeping the stones I don’t love completely. After a while, you will find more flaws of the stones you don’t love.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7A155BD5-F526-4F6E-B23B-55F83F88D954.jpeg
Seriously consider apatite if you have a good jeweler. Here’s one in rose gold in an empty setting. I haven’t set it because I usually wear rings, and they’re soft. But here it is next to a super neon Paraiba. I mean, you get a lot of bling for the price. I think a stone this size, around three carats is maybe $200.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sandy could it be the tourmaline itself?

I just do not like tourmaline. It doesn't sparkle enough and is kind of insipid compared to other gems. It just does not float my boat.

I've got one in a lovely big asccher cut but I've decided tourmaline is very "meh" and will never go there again.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Sandy could it be the tourmaline itself?

I just do not like tourmaline. It doesn't sparkle enough and is kind of insipid compared to other gems. It just does not float my boat.

I've got one in a lovely big asccher cut but I've decided tourmaline is very "meh" and will never go there again.
Tourmaline is a broad category. I feel "meh" about tourmaline in most colours, including blue-green, but I'm still a fan of neon or mint colours. Try a paraiba from Brazil!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There are some pretty zircons in Yvonne Raleys shop now, but they are 5.5 instead of 6 mm. Maybe those are worth a look online?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results