shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with evaluating an antique old cut diamond

calaleee

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I hope I am posting in the correct place. I'm in the process of learning about diamonds and finding a center stone for an ering. I am thinking of getting this 1 carat G VS2 stone. This is the video that the vendor sent me. Any thoughts on the performance or potential things to consider? The GIA report says it is very clean other than a chip but is that concerning or expected from these older stones?

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks quite white, and the faceting is pretty good. It's not too symmetrical in the center, so I would definitely need to see it under various lighting conditions, and different rooms, dark rooms, light ones, sunlight, shade, etc.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty and spready and also asymmetrical. The asymmetry is a matter of taste. You could ask for more pics in different lighting. But it is hard to tell by pics. I have an old cut (lab) that has a big bow tie but I really like how it sparkles irl. If there is a good return policy and this stone is the best youve found then I would bring it in.

calaleee

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Kind of dig the asymmetry as part of the old world charm. It's with another buyer for evaluation right now but if they return it, I might give it a try.

calaleee

Rough_Rock
Looks pretty and spready and also asymmetrical. The asymmetry is a matter of taste. You could ask for more pics in different lighting. But it is hard to tell by pics. I have an old cut (lab) that has a big bow tie but I really like how it sparkles irl. If there is a good return policy and this stone is the best youve found then I would bring it in.

Thanks! Where did you get your old cut?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Where did you get your old cut?

See post in the LGD forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results