shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with evaluating a princess cut

timtam_121

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Am currently in the process of picking out a princess cut diamond for an engagement ring.

Based on my research so far, while I can probably get a better deal if I scour around for a really good GIA princess cut while looking at ASET pictures, I don't really trust my untrained eyes yet to find the ideal cut out of the many out there. On the other hand, there are very few AGS princess cut out there that fits within my budget vs. expectations, which are: ~$10-$12k budget, best cut possible with 1.5+ to 1.7c, eye clean, and maybe a G or less (based on what I hear about princess color).

The easier option is probably to go with ACA princess cuts, but the premium on them and the current availability means that the ACA within my budget is a bit small for my liking.

The one that caught my eye so far is a 1.728 ct H VVS2 Expert Selection Princess Cut Loose Diamond

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3649504.htm

Its clarity is probably higher than what I need but its the biggest AGS0 that fit into my budget without going down to I color. I mean no expert at the ASET picture but there seem to be a lot of red there and to me relatively little white spots. Is this a good choice? Would the H be an issue? (my girlfriend is quite color sensitive)? Or is this not a very good diamond and I should instead downsize? Should I have this prejudice to AGS diamond and instead trust my local jeweler to find me a good GIA?

Thanks in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a very nice stone. Has your GF basically been looking at AGS/GIA graded stones? If she has been looking at stones
that were graded by other labs then she may not be as color sensitive as she thinks because their F is usually a lower grade
on AGS/GIA scale. However, if she has been looking at GIA/AGS stones then she may see some color in an H.

Also, if she was looking at an H next to an E and saw the difference that doesnt necessary mean the H will bother her.

You'll have to give more details on how she figured out she was color sensitive to know whether an H princess would be
a good pick for her.

timtam_121

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1471883176|4068642 said:
Thats a very nice stone. Has you GF basically been looking at AGS/GIA graded stones? If she has been looking at stones
that were graded by other labs then she may not be as color sensitive as she thinks because their F is usally a lower grade
on AGS/GIA scale. However, if she has been looking at GIA/AGS stones then she may see some color in an H.

Also, if she was looking at an H next to an E and saw the difference that doesnt necessary mean the H will bother her.

You'll have to give more details on how she figured out she was color sensitive to know whether an H princess would be
a good pick for her.

Thanks for that! She has been mainly looking at GIA graded diamonds.

However, like you mentioned, she was mainly picking out the difference across 2-3 grades - a D and E vs. G. D and E looked the same to her but G had color. The fact that she found G to have color was the reason I was a little worried (though I have read that its mainly only detectable if you put it next to the D/E diamonds).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results