shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with estimating tax for a ring shipped from US to UK

natasha11

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how much i will be charged in total (VAT/import duties) for the ring that I am buying online from James Allen. The total cost is about $5000. Thank you very much!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with estimating tax for a ring shipped from US to U

I've had a less expensive item shipped and it was 20% VAT plus Royal Mail charged an £8 handling fee. My item was less than $1000 though. I don't think I had import duty, just VAT. I'm not sure if and at what price level additional taxes get added on top of VAT.

kazzer

Rough_Rock

Hi Natasha11. You can estimate the duty by going to www.dutycalculator.com.. If customs open your package and charge you, you will have to pay duty and VAT. The cost depends on the item you are buying (diamonds etc). You may be better off booking a holiday to the States (may work out cheaper).

natasha11

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your replies! Looks like it's 20% VAT and about 2.5% import duty. I may be completely wrong but this still looks just a bit cheaper than what I would pay here??

HollyDolly

Rough_Rock

natasha11 said:
Thanks for your replies! Looks like it's 20% VAT and about 2.5% import duty. I may be completely wrong but this still looks just a bit cheaper than what I would pay here??

It's not just a bit cheaper, it's a lot cheaper!! Have a good look on the Ernest Jones website etc and pay attention to the detail they give then compare that to what you would be getting from James Allen. I found that a carat in usually an I colour, very good cut with I1 clarity was about £8k so significantly more than th same thing from JA even taking duty into account

kazzer

Rough_Rock

Hi natasha11. Hope everything works out. I have friends who have actually booked short breaks to the USA to pick up their jewellery (you get a great diamond and a holiday and it still works out to be much cheaper than the UK). Would be great to see a picture of your ring posted on here when you receive it.

HollyDolly

Rough_Rock

It's also tax evasion if you don't declare it when you get home!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

HollyDolly|1358613125|3359636 said:
It's also tax evasion if you don't declare it when you get home!

This is a good point. Can you imagine if you got caught coming through customs and had to pay the duties? I would recommend you just pay them and have the ring shipped.

natasha11

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone. I will definitely have it shipped and pay duties. I was not trying to evade taxes just to find the cheapest solution for myself. And I needed help since my knowledge about diamonds quality and also about what can be bought for what price in UK/US is very limited. But it is all clear now, hope I will be getting my ring from James Allen soon!
Thanks very much for your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results