shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with diamond / gemstone earrings.

kevincal

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
4
Hello all. I don't know much about jewelry unfortunately.. I received these earrings as a gift recently, to present to my sister and niece ( don't have a wife / gf or mom :( . I don't know exactly what they are or what they are worth. I was told by my friend, who gave these to me because I had given him very nice gifts, that he got these from a connection in Hong Kong, etc. That's all I know.

Please check out my pictures and video, and if possible let me know a ballpark figure of what these 2 pairs of earrings are worth. I might get them insured, but I just really would like to know the value... I can't ask my friend, because that would be extremely rude, no? :) Also I don't really feel like going to a jewelry store. Thanks again.

Photos are attached, and here's is an HD video: **edited by moderator, no personal videos per our policies**

Regards,

Kevin C.

s1050006.jpg

s1050007.jpg

s1050008.jpg

s1050009.jpg
 

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,897
Could you see if there is any kind of marking on the back of the metal? Some numbers like 10k,14k, 585, 925, or anything at all on the back of the pieces themselves or on the nuts that clip on the post? Report back with anything you find.
 

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
I would recommend finding an appraiser to evaluate the earrings. Then you will have 100% knowledge of what you are giving, and the value. The earrings are very pretty- best of luck. :)
 

kevincal

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
4
ringo865|1451691006|3969418 said:
Could you see if there is any kind of marking on the back of the metal? Some numbers like 10k,14k, 585, 925, or anything at all on the back of the pieces themselves or on the nuts that clip on the post? Report back with anything you find.

There are no markings, but he did mention he gets jewelry from HK before it hits the market, right from the mine... So that would make sense they are unmarked. For sure 100% its real diamonds and gemstones. He is a friend I do business with, thousands of dollars have exchanged hands between us. So he would not send me anything fake. :) He's quite wealthy. Anyway, lets just assume its high quality stuff, what would earrings like this be worth, with the big gemstones and decent sized diamonds? One diamond on each earring is heart shaped..

Earrings like this cost at a jewelry store, per pair, closer to $500, $1000, or $1500?
 

kevincal

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
4
Feb03Bride|1451693306|3969438 said:
I would recommend finding an appraiser to evaluate the earrings. Then you will have 100% knowledge of what you are giving, and the value. The earrings are very pretty- best of luck. :)

I was planning to go get them appraised, but I haven't been feeling well, and its freezing lately... Thought I could get an online expert to give me a ballpark price these might be worth. Im giving them to my sister and niece tomorrow, late Christmas gift. However, my sister has been known to lose jewelry in the past... and my niece is only 7 years old!! So was hoping I could find out real quick what you guys think by just looking at the pictures and video. That way I will know to bother with insuring and appraising etc. If they are only worth 200 or 300 a pair, I wont worry about it. But I thought they might be worth $500+ per pair... In that case, worth appraising and insuring.

Yes the earrings are beautiful! :)
 

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
923
I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. In one of the photos the diamonds look fairly shallow, meaning the carat weight of the diamonds is probably lower, also it's very hard to tell cut, color, clarity etc. Also we have no idea what gemstone the pink stones are, so lets assume pink sapphires? Also whether they are made with silver, platinum, or gold, will make a big difference value wise. So really, it's not fair to ask an appropriate value without more information. They could be worth anywhere from $500- a few thousand, as long as they are real stones. You might want to wait and give them as Valentine's day gifts? So you have time to bring them in somewhere. If they are very valuable you wouldn't want to risk giving them to a child without being insured.
 

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
234
the metal should still have a stamp usually done in the manufacturing process, any jeweller/pawn shop can test the metal

also not possible to tell from photo or video what type of gemstone you are looking at - if you didn't want to take it to get appraised there are cheap gemstone testing and metal testing kits that you can buy on ebay
 

kevincal

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
4
thanks for nothing! LOL jesus Christ... ;-) oh well... im just going to tell them they are worth A LOT and always keep them in a special place and don't lose them / only wear them on special occasions... honestly I wouldn't feel safe going to a jeweler these days. for one thing they will probably rip me off with their "appraisal"; charge too much to tell me their value and plus I don't really want to pay to get them insured either. already paying too much "insurance" on other crap in life...
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
18,165
kevincal|1451755260|3969680 said:
thanks for nothing! LOL jesus Christ... ;-) oh well... I'm just going to tell them they are worth A LOT and always keep them in a special place and don't lose them / only wear them on special occasions... honestly I wouldn't feel safe going to a jeweler these days. for one thing they will probably rip me off with their "appraisal"; charge too much to tell me their value and plus I don't really want to pay to get them insured either. already paying too much "insurance" on other crap in life...


I don't mean to be rude, but I'm just a little confused about what you expected from this thread? There really isn't any way to tell the value from pics/videos alone, especially without any markings on the metal. It really doesn't make sense that the metal has zero markings, and as others have said, any jeweler/pawn shop can easily test the metal.

If you don't want to go to a jeweler or get them appraised there isn't much chance of getting an accurate idea of what you have and what they might be worth (unless you want to get a tester kit online?) Yes they are pretty, but it seems you are already convinced they are worth a lot so I'm not sure what else we could say.....
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,524
kevincal|1451755260|3969680 said:
thanks for nothing! LOL jesus Christ... ;-) oh well... im just going to tell them they are worth A LOT and always keep them in a special place and don't lose them / only wear them on special occasions... honestly I wouldn't feel safe going to a jeweler these days. for one thing they will probably rip me off with their "appraisal"; charge too much to tell me their value and plus I don't really want to pay to get them insured either. already paying too much "insurance" on other crap in life...

It's pretty safe to say you won't be getting any more help from the people around here. We help people for free, and deserve better than this crap. :angryfire:
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,524
Look at those wonky prongs. Those looks like CZ's and us getting trolled.
 

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
923
Andelain|1451758403|3969698 said:
Look at those wonky prongs. Those looks like CZ's and us getting trolled.

I was thinking the exact same thing Andelain!! I was trying to be polite by not assuming the worst, but after kevincal's last rude comment I no longer care.
 

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
3,524
RissaLou|1451797940|3969927 said:
Andelain|1451758403|3969698 said:
Look at those wonky prongs. Those looks like CZ's and us getting trolled.

I was thinking the exact same thing Andelain!! I was trying to be polite by not assuming the worst, but after kevincal's last rude comment I no longer care.

For sure, I don't either. And those earrings are common dime-store crap with what's called Pink Ice. IOW, cheap pink CZ's in pot metal with plating.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top