shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CZ pendant

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I recently, and impulsively, bought one of these CZ OMCs from Erica at LAD. She’s not doing settings anymore and recommended David Klass or Sholdt Jewelers for a pendant. I reached out to David and said I’d be interested in something like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAJsurSl9kq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

He said it would be $950 in solid 18k yellow gold.

So...a few questions...

Is this an average price for something like this?

What can I do to reduce the cost?

Any other vendor recommendations?

I live near Boston so any local jeweler names are welcomed as well.

I should say, I’ve never done anything like this so I’m kind of clueless...The stone was only $150 and I didn’t expect a setting to be so much.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I opted for Rhodium-plated Silver for my lab and less expensive CSs recently to cut down on cost.

The bench I use is based in China, an eBay vendor by the shop name of diamoundmounts:

diamondmounts on eBay

DK :))

jso72

Rough_Rock
You should reach out to Daniel M jewelry on etsy. He's done some beautiful work for me with cz stones. Also check the colored stone forum, there is a thread on his work.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
That is a LOT for that setting. It is beautiful, but OUCH!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does that price include the chain?
How important is a bezel vs prongs to you?
How important is a very fine thin bezel to you?
If prongs, how important is the basket being a stock size vs custom size? (Don’t know if your stone is a calibrated size or not?)
Have you looked thru stuller options, and gotten quotes?

researching options is important. Knowing what you are possibly trading off for is also important.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
You could also try getting a quote from Ivy and Rose and go down to 10 or 14k gold instead of 18 if gold is non negotiable.

ditto @Rfisher on doing a lot of research. I put more $$ than I was intending to set 2 CZs I purchased and while I love the result- in hindsight I wish I had shopped around a bit and taken my time. Good luck!!

m1918

Shiny_Rock
I opted for Rhodium-plated Silver for my lab and less expensive CSs recently to cut down on cost.

The bench I use is based in China, an eBay vendor by the shop name of diamoundmounts:

diamondmounts on eBay

DK :))

You should reach out to Daniel M jewelry on etsy. He's done some beautiful work for me with cz stones. Also check the colored stone forum, there is a thread on his work.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will check them out!

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Does that price include the chain?
How important is a bezel vs prongs to you?
How important is a very fine thin bezel to you?
If prongs, how important is the basket being a stock size vs custom size? (Don’t know if your stone is a calibrated size or not?)
Have you looked thru stuller options, and gotten quotes?

researching options is important. Knowing what you are possibly trading off for is also important.

I’m pretty sure it includes the chain but not certain. David did say he he could get just a prong setting with the bail...I guess I don’t know how important bezel vs. prongs is to me. I initially wanted prongs but then thought maybe a bezel would be prettier. I tried to look through Stuller options for bezels but I didn’t see many options that said in stock?

I definitely need to research more! Your questions are helpful for me to think though, thank you!

m1918

Shiny_Rock
You could also try getting a quote from Ivy and Rose and go down to 10 or 14k gold instead of 18 if gold is non negotiable.

ditto @Rfisher on doing a lot of research. I put more $$ than I was intending to set 2 CZs I purchased and while I love the result- in hindsight I wish I had shopped around a bit and taken my time. Good luck!!

I sent a message to them for a quote, Ferrko’s, and Houston Diamond Girl so we’ll see! Good point about the 10 or 14k gold. Thank you for your input! This is definitely a learning experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results