shape
carat
color
clarity

help with cut over size???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiduke

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I have been reading this forum along with diamond talk for some time now and feel that I have familiarized myself enough to actually post a question.

I went to a local jewelry store yesterday in hopes of finding some diamonds to compare. I just wanted to see if I could even tell a difference between an average cut SI1 and a really nice VS1-vs2 "ideal cut" or hearts and arrows. Well, the jeweler couldnt help me because he didn't have any nicer stones like what I was looking for. All the stones he showed me were SI1 or SI2 clarity. :rolleyes:

So, how am I supposed to know if it will be worth the extra $$$ to spend on a smaller but more beautiful diamond as opposed to a larger one with a less than ideal cut??

For instance, here are a couple diamonds I am considering:

(both diamonds are GIA certified and are very close to same price..around 2k)

.72 carat
G color
SI1
57% table
62.5% depth
No culet or fluorescence
Good polish and symmetry
HCA score is unknown because I dont know pavillion and crown angles

OR

.58 carat
G color
VS2
56% table
60.7% depth
.2 culet no fluorescence
Excellent polish and symmetry
HCA score of .8 (within TIC range)

I guess the question is, am I really going to SEE a difference between these two diamonds when they are in the setting? If not, I obviously go for the larger one...larger is better, right ladies?

Thanks in advance

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You have not given us muuch info Duke. Diameter, girdle etc.
You seem to have confused clarity and visual beauty - VS does not look better than SI. Clarity is about "seeing" unwanted inclusions or flaws.

I guess one is about 5.4mm and the other is 5.8mm.
The smaller stone has more sparkle? but the bigger stone is BIGGER. The choice is like buying 2 cheap bottles or one fine bottle of wine.
Could you see a side by side difference in sparkle and appeal?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Hi

What are the measurements (mm) of each stone?

antiduke

Rough_Rock
Sorry about that. Measurements of the first diamond are:

5.76-5.79 x 3.61mm Thin - med girdle

And the second one is 5.41-5.44 x 3.29mm Thin - med girdle

Thanks,
Antiduke

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results