shape
carat
color
clarity

help with comparison between 2 interesting diamonds??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

This is my first post and I hope to receive some great information. Let me start off with some background info...I am 22 in my second yr of school going for a double Ph.D in Physical Therapy and Public Health. I plan to get engaged next spring in 2005. However, I knew to start researching the "rock" and setting way in advance. I must say that this website is truly spectacular as I spent around 5 or so hours today just reading posts and tutorials (midterms last week and no class tomorrow
2.gif
. Anyway, as I said earlier I am still in school and I have a limited budget on what I can spend. I want to keep a $1,600 limit on the diamond so I can have enough left over for the setting. If college didn''t suck me under for money this crazy grad school business will be the end of me
angryfire.gif
I believe for now I like the platinum 4mm solitaire setting that I''ve seen for $600 at many sites (Mondera, Blue Nile, Whiteflash, etc.). My gf has told me that she likes the princess cut diamonds so I am going for that cut. I have been researching for a couple of weeks now and I think I would like to stay in the I-J, VS1-VS2 region, and around .6-.7 carat range. I will most likely be purchasing the diamond online as I have read many encouraging responses towards many websites, ie., the ones listed in the vendor section of this forum. Presently I have just been searching around at various online diamond stores and I have come across 2 diamonds that I wish the intellectual community here to inform me of the pros and cons.

Diamond 1
whiteflash.com
price 1,478
GIA
Princess
.71 carat
J color
VS2 Clarity
depth= 71.9
table=76
Girdle= XTN-TK
Polish=VG
Symmetry=VG
Cullet=none
Flourescence= Faint
Measures
4.86-4.84x3.48
length/width= 1.00

Diamond 2
diamondsafe.com
price 1,456(sale) 1,533(regular)
EGL
Princess
.68 carat
H color
VVS2 clarity
total depth= 71.3%
Table width= 79%
crown height=7%
Pavillion= 58%
Girdle= Very thick polished
dimensions
4.93-4.78x3.41
polish= good
symmetry= good to very good
cullet= none
comments
Dia Script in the Girdle by D.I.A.

First Question- At first glance this looks interesting because the clarity for diamond 2 is extremely high compared to diamond 1 so how are these diamonds roughly the same price?

Second Question- Along with the clarity difference the color difference is very strong also from H to J, diamond 2 to diamond 1, respectively. Thus, how is it around the same price?

Third Question - I know from some calculator on this forum that the ratio for diamond 1 is closer to the 1:1 ratio for princess cut while diamond 2 came in at something like 1.03 or something. Therefore, what is the main difference between these rocks that is accounting for the similarity in price but difference in grades???????

I read on the advanced tutorial on table% and I noticed that diamond 2 is in the 3a while diamond 1 is 2b, would that make that much of a difference? But both depths show excellent cut? I am confused about these 2 as in my feeble mind I cannot find where the underlying difference is. I have gained so much knowledge just today from reading all the postings and I am feeling a lot better about this purchase. I will probably be purchasing some diamond about fall of this year so it gives me plenty of time to find the "perfect" diamond. Thanks in advance for all your replies and extra help you may want to toss my direction!!

Jason Moses

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I'm not very good at Princess Cuts, but I can give you some insight into your pricing questions.

The diamond from WF is a GIA Cert. GIA is very strict, very consistent, and the cost to Cert with GIA is higher. If, as you say, Diamond #1 is a Cut Class 2B, the average price/carat is $2023 for comparable diamonds. $2023 X .71 = $1436.33 Making the WF asking price very close to average asking price for a comparable diamond.

While EGL has improved greatly in the last year, EGL still has a reputation for being lax and inconsistent. The price to Cert a diamond thru EGL is lower than a GIA or AGS Cert.

If you are correct, and the Cut Class is a 3A, AND the diamond is accurately graded, Diamond #2 would trade for an average asking price of $2942/carat. $2942 X .68 = $2680.56 Making Diamondsafe.com VERY LOW on their price as compared to the average asking price for comparable diamonds.

While EGL diamonds tend to trade at a discount when compared to GIA or AGS Certed stones, accurately graded EGL diamonds typically do not trade at that large of a discount.
1.gif

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I just have two more question...As far as diamonds are concerned is EGL frowned upon since you said it has less clout within the diamond community? If perchance diamond 2 is accurately measured would that be a steal (sure buy) given those parameters ie. table, depth, crown, pav? And lastly, does anyone have any comments regarding www.diamondsafe.com?
Thanks!!

Jason Moses

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/16/2004 12:10:12 PM viscera912 wrote:

Hello,

If perchance diamond 2 is accurately measured would that be a steal (sure buy) given those parameters ie. table, depth, crown, pav?

----------------

It sure is a steal, but I would probably not bother stealing it! Just your average "huge table'd, deep thisn, and pairing top VVS clarity with H colro does not sound like a stone capable to deliver the best visual impact for the money: the clarity is not visually different from a VS2, the color is within the commercial domain and the cut - the most important characteristic determining appearene - is nothign to write home about. If this was a great stone, the price might be a bargain, for what it sounds like, it is just right.

How about....

0.7 H-VS1 (deep, but otherwise desirable proportions)

or
0.71 J-SI1 (one I would call "sure buy" if the link to the EGL cert would not be dead!)

Oh well...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
EGL isn't exactly frowned on. EGL USA has improved greatly. EGL Israel is notoriously bad. Due to the inconsistencies of the past, and the current reputation of some branches, folks tend to hold their breathe until the Cert is proven right or wrong.

The inconsistencies with EGL Certs tend toward the high side. For example, a stone could be graded H, SI1 by EGL and be viewed as an I, SI2, by a competent, independent appraiser or another Grading Lab. I have read where people buy an EGL diamond that later grades higher. That's the exception and not the rule. With an EGL Cert, the diamond typically grades right on or lower.

Here's a link to another thread discussing Princess Cut diamonds. The Member is also searching for a similar size Princess Cut. OldMiner (Dave Atlas) gave some very good pointers to look for.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/color.12992/

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results