shape
carat
color
clarity

color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iknowquinn

Rough_Rock
ok, i hear people talk about shrinkage alot- and the fact that over time the diamond looks smaller and smaller....does this also seem to happen with color? i am considering an I color...(VS2 Ideal Cut Hearts and Arrows..2.74 carats) scores a 1.2 on the Holloway Cut Advisor(i think- may have been 1.5)...Anyway, i haven''t seen it in person yet..but i am wondering what the odds are that I will wish i spent the extra money to get a G color (my orginal plan). this stone is quite a bit less money than i was thinking i would end up spending to really get what i wanted....but now that it has come along- i am strongly considering it!! i was thinking i would need to spend about 30k...this stone is 21k...just a lower color than i was planning on buying...and a wee bit smaller as well- but still large enough... thanks for any opinions!

iknowquinn

Rough_Rock
ps- i was initially planning on hitting that 3 carat mark as well...i don't know- though...to save 9k...well- it's really tempting me. but will the combo of .25 smaller, and and I color instead of a G be worth it in the long run?! or will i wish i spend the extra dough?! i know there are bound to be some great opinions out there!!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Have you actually looked in person at any stones that big in those colors? As I understand it, the larger the diamond, the more evident the color.

If I were you, I would go to a high end jeweler--like Tiffany's, for example
1.gif
--and take a look at the colors you're considering in the sizes you're considering. Make sure you see them in a range of lighting, too, not just the magical sparkly store lights.

In fact, considering how much money's involved, it might be a good idea to get on an airplane (or whatever) and go look at the stones you're considering in the store where they live.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

3 cts! That is HUGE! Has your girlfriend expressed an interest in a rock of this size? I think for a lot of women, 3 cts would be a little too big. And for 21K, I would not want an I. You have a very large budget, and any rock you are considering is going to be HUGE by most people's standards. I would say the best bet would be to find the right combination of quality and size. For me it would be a 2.0 to 2.5 in the G/H, VS1/VS2 range... That's what I would want!

But good luck with whatever you go with. I'm sure your girlfriend will be very happy.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
From what I have seen in humongous stones of that size, The color is somewhat important, but of course CUT is MUCH more so. Clarity will always be a factor in such a large stone, because there is more room to find stuff. VS1/VS2 should be perfect for budget and bang.

I have seen an H next to a F, and I have DAMN good eye for color, and it was totally negligible! That IS a lot of cash to drop, so I suggest you see the stone. Unlike Gliteratta, I don't suggest Tiffany's. They won't let you take it out of those store lights, and also, compare Apples to apples, not oranges. Tiffany's CUT is different and not the greatest. Definately go see a similar size with similar CUT. Put the J in a white gold temp setting, and THEN put them together, of course the J will look yellowish.

That all being said, here's my $.02. If it's over 2.5 ct. It's HUGE, so don't sacrifice color for a LITTLE bit more. Get the better color, and it can be a bit smaller, but go for CUT, a G, and a nice size. If you spend money like that get quality at a good compromise, but don't let the color go too low, you're Spending almost $30K! Get a good color, large, clear stone!!!
9.gif

iknowquinn

Rough_Rock
ok, i want to make sure i understand...are you thinking that an I color is too low for that size stone? See, all things being exactly the same...that stone in a G color intead of an I, will bump the price up to almost 30k from 21k. IS that 9k worth the color bump? I guess that's my main question. And of course i will go and see it...but not if the general consesnsus is that I is too low for that size stone. thanks! (and yes- we both defintiely want the ring to be this size. no question about it)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just another point of view:

Diamonds are important because of what they represent and not exactly because of their exact quality. Believe me, an I color diamond will look just fine after a few weeks of being on the finger. It will not look "off-color". SOme people actually would prefer an H or I color in a large diamonds. My wife has a 3 1/2 ct round which is a high I color (H GIA) and she has never hinted that the color causes her any degree of dislike for the stone. I know she really loves it. And, because of the color, the price was what I'd consider affordable.

Just like the waist line of slacks seems to shrink over the years, a diamond seems smaller over time. We just get bigger in relation to the stone, or the pants.

You need to do what YOU feel suits you, but there will be people on both sides of this issue making good points. In reality, it is very much a personal decision and anyone else's judgement may just not fit your situation. Advice is great, but the action you take must please you and the person who will receive and wear the diamond...No one else really matters in this already complex equation.

iknowquinn

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your post. You are absolutely right, and just like most things in life- I'm sure if this stone is "the one", I will know it when I see it...regardless of the exact specs.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.25 carat J set in plat and it's not yellow. Even when compared to higher color rated diamonds. But, my J was cut from steely blue rough and not yellow rough.

There are people here with 3 carat I colored diamonds that they just love. It all depends on your personal comfort zone.
1.gif

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/20/2004 4:58:08 PM iknowquinn wrote:

Thank you very much for your post. You are absolutely right, and just like most things in life- I'm sure if this stone is 'the one', I will know it when I see it...regardless of the exact specs. ----------------

Well said iknowquinn! You will know if it is the "one" for you when you see it! I think there may be some sizeable I color stones in the "Eye-Candy" folder on the "Show me the Ring" forum.

Good luck!
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The three carat mark ....
rolleyes.gif

If a 2-2.5 carat stone. E-F, eye clean (Si1 or better) does not tempt you at all, I could be great. Seeing is believing, I guess. If this stone holds it's own to you against an F, this is it! To most, it would.

I must say that the last 0.25 cts is really simbolic. It may mean something on paper to have 3 cts written rather than 2.75 but the size of the stone would barely get hit 0.15 mm (at 60% depth). The larger the diamond, the smaller impact on size (diameter) each unit of weight has... So no big issue there, I would say.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
iknowquinn-

I have an I colored 2.4 ct stone from GOG. It is beautiful and white. Of course if I tilt my ring, I can see "warmth" but it is not blatant yellow. Valeria101 is right, in the larger sizes there is not a huge difference in the apparent size of the stone--especially when mounted.

I can't tell you the number of people that assume my stone is a 3ct when in fact it is not. I realize that most people are used to seeing stones looking smaller than they should for their weight, but even more knowledgeable jewelers just doing a casual lookover have assumed it was a 3ct.

So, I would say, don't rule out the I colored 2.75, pay attention to the two stones' difference in millimeter size, and do like you said you were gonna do....Go with the stone that speaks to you
1.gif
Afterall, you always have the option of an upgrade with full credit for the first stone you bought with Jonathan/GOG
2.gif
so you really can't go wrong. And who knows, you may save 9k afterall! Good luck!
Luv

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that if you can afford to go for the better color ,Go for it.
It's not every year that you will be getting a stone,and if you can afford the better color and maybe a bigger size why not get it.otherwise you will have always have that feeling where you'll say "why didn't I get the better color".

for 30k I think you can get a better color and a bigger stone.

good luck

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No a G color is not worth $9k in my opinion. That is two honeymoons!!

There are a few rings in the Show me the Ring forum that are I color and around 3c...Leota got one for her mom recently that was amazingly beautiful from GOG. It really depends on how sensitive your and your gal's eyes are to color. I don't know that I personally would consider an I color stone in a 3c size, but the $9k price jump to G is not feasible IMO. What about trying to find an H color? Can you be a little more patient? An H SI that is eye-clean will bump up the price a few thousand but not the $9k that the G is showing. I would hands down do an H...but I would want to see an I colored stone in person before buying. If you have this opportunity, great!

But again, check out the show me the ring forum for I colored stones in platinum, also PQ's new J stone is very white face up. From the side you may see a small tint of warmth...but again it really depends on your eyes and preferences. Also 3c vs 2.75 IMO is not a huge difference...the mm difference is so small it's not worth it if you have alot of $$ by not hitting 3c exactly.

Keep the cut top notch H&A and the stone will appear whiter than the average non H&A stone as well. So don't compromise on cut...and then determine what your comfort level is with color.

Good luck.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Who could forget F&I's gorgeous 3ct solitaire? It's an I color and looks extremely white.
1.gif
I would not spend $9K on a G. I would very happily settle for a H, if there was a good bargain and a nice stone. But I feel like you'll be extremely pleased with an I color too. After all, it's 'near colorless', right?
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results