shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing an OEC

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the thin girdle something to worry about? I am thinking of getting this setting in yellow gold with it. Its also by Ivy and Rose, I wanted to get it all done at the same place since things are more expensive here in Canada.

Does extremely thin - slightly thick mean that the girdle ranges from being thin to thick?

I have “very thin” and “thin” stones but no experience with “extremely thin” so I would ask them about it. A 6 prong setting might be adequate or they could recommend a different type of setting to best protect the girdle. Yes, the girdle ranges from thin to thick. Totally normal as they were cut by hand and/or may have had a little chip polished out at one point (look at the circled spot on the .91, it may never have been perfectly round or it may have had a flea bite polished out at some point).

0F94CB74-3B4C-4C2B-9998-D1D023465F31.jpeg

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I have another video update and 2 more stones!

Top is the same 0.91 middle 0.89 and 0.84 in the ring

Thank you all!

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I have “very thin” and “thin” stones but no experience with “extremely thin” so I would ask them about it. A 6 prong setting might be adequate or they could recommend a different type of setting to best protect the girdle. Yes, the girdle ranges from thin to thick. Totally normal as they were cut by hand and/or may have had a little chip polished out at one point (look at the circled spot on the .91, it may never have been perfectly round or it may have had a flea bite polished out at some point).

0F94CB74-3B4C-4C2B-9998-D1D023465F31.jpeg

Thanks for all the info! Is it easy to chip a diamond if it's thin?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have another video update and 2 more stones!

Top is the same 0.91 middle 0.89 and 0.84 in the ring

Thank you all!

0.91 one is still my favorite. hard pass on 0.84 - way too messy

the 0.85 is still my #2 - i like it more than the two new options

i'd also encourage you to reach out to adam at Old World Diamonds...they hav e a HUGE inventory.

If none of these are really exciting you I'd reach out to OWD - many of the diamonds they don't have photos or videos of yet.

Examples...

Big table but pretty facets: https://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamon...WEIGHT&shape=EU&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

Look at the video - I think it's very pretty, might be too warm for you but would look great in YG: https://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamon...WEIGHT&shape=EU&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh, can you tell me what is putting you off? Any tips on what to look for?

I think I'm just not loving the faceting on these. I care a lot about patterning in OECs and it seems like these ones dont have the types of look I personally prefer. But it has to be something you love!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what kind of setting you like, but this is an example of a beautifully cut OEC in roughly your size range

8B3F0E73-B5A2-4632-9360-567D5426896A.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Spring Day @missy @kgizo @Tourmaline @lovedogs @Rfisher

I know you all have a great eye for OECs / cutting in general...any thoughts?

I don't love either of them. From what I can see (video quality isn't very clear so just going by the info I can see) the facets aren't as well defined as I like and the pattern is a bit random. I would love to see better more clear video and photos if you feel these are contenders but my first impressions are keep looking. Reach out to Adam at OWD and see if he has anything that fits your criteria and budget.

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I don't love either of them. From what I can see (video quality isn't very clear so just going by the info I can see) the facets aren't as well defined as I like and the pattern is a bit random. I would love to see better more clear video and photos if you feel these are contenders but my first impressions are keep looking. Reach out to Adam at OWD and see if he has anything that fits your criteria and budget.

That's for the suggestion! If I reach out to Adam, do you think it would be possible for him to send the stone to Ivy and Rose to be set? I'm in Canada so it's harder for me to do shipping.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I’m not an expert but came across this one:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That's for the suggestion! If I reach out to Adam, do you think it would be possible for him to send the stone to Ivy and Rose to be set? I'm in Canada so it's harder for me to do shipping.

Adam has a jewelry bench and could probably easily do a simple solitaire! It’s usually easier to work with one vendor

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry I’m late to this conversation, but the only one I like is the .85ct one. The tiny table is delightful and the shapes and facets are crisp. It’s a bit deep, but with the smaller table, I think that’s ok. Many of the rest look transitional rather than OEC. The .85 is my strong preference.

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Sorry I’m late to this conversation, but the only one I like is the .85ct one. The tiny table is delightful and the shapes and facets are crisp. It’s a bit deep, but with the smaller table, I think that’s ok. Many of the rest look transitional rather than OEC. The .85 is my strong preference.

What is the difference between a transitional and OEC? I think I still prefer the 0.91, it seems to have some blue flashes that I like. The only thing that I am worried about is if it will look less sparkly in different lighting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with @Cerulean, if I got the stone from Adam I would ask him to do the setting. He has a wonderful bench.

Adam has a jewelry bench and could probably easily do a simple solitaire! It’s usually easier to work with one vendor

Completely agree. Keep it less complicated and less potential for problems.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between a transitional and OEC? I think I still prefer the 0.91, it seems to have some blue flashes that I like. The only thing that I am worried about is if it will look less sparkly in different lighting.

Here's a good guide written by our very own David Atlas.

and a thread comparing the different old cuts.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I have messaged Adam! Will report back on what he says!

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Any word from Adam?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I got some new videos from Old World Diamonds through Instagram

I like the 0.73 one but not sure how much smaller it will look compared to the 0.91 I previously liked.

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that 0.73 too! Assuming it is OWA64469 the difference isn’t as significant as you might expect because the 0.91 is deeper, plus you have small fingers and that helps.

245F59B1-F31F-4F64-BB76-85E899015ADA.jpeg

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I like that 0.73 too! Assuming it is OWA64469 the difference isn’t as significant as you might expect because the 0.91 is deeper, plus you have small fingers and that helps.

245F59B1-F31F-4F64-BB76-85E899015ADA.jpeg

wow thanks for the comparison, can you send me the link to the diamond please, thanks!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I got some new videos from Old World Diamonds through Instagram

I like the 0.73 one but not sure how much smaller it will look compared to the 0.91 I previously liked.

These are both lovely. I like the 0.73 too.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Is the thin girdle something to worry about? I am thinking of getting this setting in yellow gold with it. Its also by Ivy and Rose, I wanted to get it all done at the same place since things are more expensive here in Canada.

Does extremely thin - slightly thick mean that the girdle ranges from being thin to thick?

I have a few old cuts. I have thin to extremely thin girdles. I would never prong set one of those. Bezel or faux bezel with prongs. If you drop your ring with an extremely thin girdle on tile for example in prong setting? Asking for trouble. I would not let it steer me away if I loved the stone but you need to consider how you will set it.

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, unfortunately the 0.91 ct diamond sold and I have asked to see videos of other diamonds from Ivy and Rose. What do we think? The two largest oec's are a bit out of our budget but they had the patterning I liked. What do we think about the OMC?

Thank you all again!

Diamonds shown in smallest to largest carat weight.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-6...diamond-5-8mm-vintage-antique-loose-2-3-carat

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-8...diamond-vintage-transitional-european-natural

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-9...-diamond-antique-vintage-loose-engagement-1ct

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-c...diamond-i-si1-vintage-antique-loose-estate-eu

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, unfortunately the 0.91 ct diamond sold and I have asked to see videos of other diamonds from Ivy and Rose. What do we think? The two largest oec's are a bit out of our budget but they had the patterning I liked. What do we think about the OMC?

Thank you all again!

Diamonds shown in smallest to largest carat weight.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-6...diamond-5-8mm-vintage-antique-loose-2-3-carat

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-8...diamond-vintage-transitional-european-natural

https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-9...-diamond-antique-vintage-loose-engagement-1ct

https://ivyandrose.com/products/1-c...diamond-i-si1-vintage-antique-loose-estate-eu

I don’t care for either of the middle ones TBH. Hard pass on the OMC for me. The 0.87 is a pretty stone, but truly looks like a late transitional will not have the chunky flashes I think you are after

I like the biggest one the best, but the 0.67 has lovely patterning - I think it’s beautiful and SO white, just make sure you’re happy with the size as it’s smaller than others you were considering

So you’re passing on the ones from Adam?

There are lurkers so anything you post might get sniped unless they are willing to put on hold’

bonniechuong

Rough_Rock
I don’t care for either of the middle ones TBH. Hard pass on the OMC for me. The 0.87 is a pretty stone, but truly looks like a late transitional will not have the chunky flashes I think you are after

I like the biggest one the best, but the 0.67 has lovely patterning - I think it’s beautiful and SO white, just make sure you’re happy with the size as it’s smaller than others you were considering

So you’re passing on the ones from Adam?

There are lurkers so anything you post might get sniped unless they are willing to put on hold’

Thanks for your reply! I should have got that one quicker, it was in the budget and I liked it...

Unfortunately the ones that Adam showed were not in the budget after the cost of a setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results